Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Nope. I've always spoken to someone in US Customer Svc as long as I'm a silver. I just called recently due to a schedule change and got them.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I'll be canceling this card when my renewal hits in November. A 350% annual fee increase for this lifetime member is simply not happening.

The three benefits which I use the most, don't already have with another card, and which I would like to try to reasonably replicate with another card are:

Hyatt Discoverist status
Primary rental car insurance
Hertz Presidents Circle

I fear that the only way to maintain my Hyatt status without earning it is to sign up for the Hyatt credit card, which I am loathe to do because I do not want to continue to patronize Chase. I *may* change my mind if they could transfer my credit history to another one of their cards.

I still have a few months before I have to make a decision, but any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
Old May 5, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by SS255
I *may* change my mind if they could transfer my credit history to another one of their cards.
A couple months ago I cancelled my Chase Southwest Visa and the agent offered to increase my PP MC credit limit by the same amount. He did it instantly while I was on the phone with him.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:22 am

To all the folks getting the AF hike letters: are you due to renewal soon (within 2 months) or is absolutely everyone getting these now ?
Old May 6, 2017, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
To all the folks getting the AF hike letters: are you due to renewal soon (within 2 months) or is absolutely everyone getting these now ?
See upstream...

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I think not. They are emailing everyone. They are changing the terms (in this case the annual fee) effective this July s if your renewal is after that the new fee will be in place at renewal time. Mine is, I believe, in March and I just received the notice.
Mine is in March as well but still waiting for my notice.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:32 am

Well, I still haven't received one... and Xyzzy lives very close to me. They might be doing it alphabetically, but since I don't know anyone's last name, it's only a guess.

I can say that when UA sends out the offer emails, my husband (with no status) gets his several hours before I do. Our last names are the same but his first name starts with a lower letter than mine.
Old May 6, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Well, I still haven't received one... and Xyzzy lives very close to me. They might be doing it alphabetically, but since I don't know anyone's last name, it's only a guess.

I can say that when UA sends out the offer emails, my husband (with no status) gets his several hours before I do. Our last names are the same but his first name starts with a lower letter than mine.
I think this is bigger than the PP card. I received a separate Chase notification for another one of my Chase accounts n the same day as the PP notification. The effective date for that change is July 19.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:34 am

Sigh... I still have not received anything. But I'm going to check my recycling pail. Often I don't even bring junk mail in the house and just toss it in the garage. Perhaps I got over zealous. I once toss a pair of theater tickets
Old May 7, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by UAzip
Out of curiosity, what does the mailer look like?
It's not an envelope it's one of those pull-apart mailers.

Old May 7, 2017, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Got it today.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Still haven't received it, I have my fingers crossed.

I was an under $400 annually. If it does go up I may cancel.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Often I don't even bring junk mail in the house and just toss it in the garage.
I do one worse and only check the mailbox on recycling night. Then most of the contents can be emptied into the bin when it is at its closest. This thread is motivating me to go to my mailbox more often. As a late subscriber to this card (2011 @$395) I can probably stomach the increase esp since I use my FPQMs, but the liftetime folks are really getting shafted.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Silver
Question on Presidential Plus card. Here is my situation. I have the PP card which has an August annual anniversary and i plan to pay the annual card fee due in August 2017. I now fly United infrequently (although I am able to use the United club at SNA a fair bit). I have about 350,000 frequent flier miles I would like to use on award travel in 2017-2019. I am premier gold for 2017. I have 25,000+ flexible premier qualifying miles in my account that will expire in 2019. I will have flown basically no paid united flights during all of 2017. I was planning to redeem 25,000 flexible premier qualifying miles on 1/1/2018. That would get me silver status for all of 2018 AND 2019. Even though I will not meet either the PQD or 4 united flights requirements for 2017 it won't matter (at least not initially) since both the PQD and 4 flights requirements are waived as one of the benefits of the PP card. So far so good. So in early Jan. 2018 I will have silver status for 2018 and 2019 after using 25,000 FPQM. Now, let's say I have no paid flights on united in 2017, 2018 or 2019 but I still want silver status for 2018 and 2019 for silver's (meager) benefits on award flights....thus my use of 25,000 FPQM on 1/1/2018.

Now (finally) my question. After qualifying for silver in Jan. 2018 (using FPQM) what happens if I do not pay for and renew my PP card on the August 2018 anniversary date? What happens if I DO pay to renew in August 2018 but I do not pay for and renew my PP card on the August 2019 anniversary date? Will I still get silver benefits for all of 2018 and/or 2019? Recall I do plan to pay the annual fee due August 2017.

Basically my 25,000 FPQM will either be used this way or else will be wasted and allowed to expire.

Please don't discuss the merits of obtaining silver status. That is a different discussion . The issue in a nutshell is if I drop the card AFTER having qualified for silver status, when do the PQD and 4 flight requirements come back into play.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by geo979
.... The issue in a nutshell is if I drop the card AFTER having qualified for silver status, when do the PQD and 4 flight requirements come back into play.
Once you have "earned" and it has posted, the status, you are good.

That was a problem a last year were folks with residence PQD waivers got hit when they changed their MP address to USA based. Believe that got resolved.
Old May 10, 2017, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by edcho
See upstream...

Mine is in March as well but still waiting for my notice.
I had received the notice, but fortunately my renewal just processed at the $100 fee for lifetime UC members, so I can put off a decision whether to keep the card until next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.