Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old Jan 6, 15, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP cards 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming years desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesnt apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesnt apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Old May 10, 17, 7:39 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM/Lifetime UC, QFF Platinum, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by slivrflyr View Post
To all the folks getting the AF hike letters: are you due to renewal soon (within 2 months) or is absolutely everyone getting these now ?
My renewal just posted in the past month, so I've got almost an entire year til next AF.
Old May 10, 17, 7:40 am

Has anyone with lifetime UC membership tried calling Chase about this?

Also do we know if folks who have lifetime UC membership get a lower AF with the Club card?

Last edited by kirkwoodj; May 10, 17 at 7:41 am Reason: additional question
Old May 10, 17, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post

Also do we know if folks who have lifetime UC membership get a lower AF with the Club card?
No price break with the Club Card, but it's been that way since that card was introduced. The big difference with the Presidential Plus card is that existing cardholders who were also lifetime members were allowed to sign up for the $100 fee, and now they're hiking our fee by $350. That's outrageous.

I haven't received a notice yet, but when I do, I plan to call Chase to complain.
Old May 10, 17, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
existing cardholders who were also lifetime members were allowed to sign up for the $100 fee, and now they're hiking our fee by $350.
That's my scenario
Old May 10, 17, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post

I switched over from the PP card to the UC card when it was introduced.

The phone rep told me I would keep my $100 lifetime rate. They wound up charging me $395, but I was able to reference the exact time of the phone call and the reps information, so they were able to listed to the recorded phone call and honor the $100 rate on my Club card.

So far I haven't receive a notice of a rate change. I won't cry if they change it, I only use the card when abroad now that the no-fee Freedom Unlimited gives 1.5x per dollar spent.
Old May 17, 17, 6:34 pm

Programs: CO One Pass, Lifetime PC, 1/5 to 1M
No luck with Chase

I called Chase and was told that terms are terms and all cards are $450 without exception. I did get an address for someone higher up to whom they can write.
Old May 18, 17, 10:46 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by Cupertino View Post
I called Chase and was told that terms are terms and all cards are $450 without exception. I did get an address for someone higher up to whom they can write.
I would try PMing UA Insider and ask why they are pulling the rug out from under lifetime members.
Old May 18, 17, 1:36 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Lifetime member here and MM so Gold for life. My renewal is in March so I've got time.

I will take the advice here and complain to both Chase and to UA MP, but I guess I'll have to spend the next 10 months looking for a new card. Either that or I'll just go back to using my SPG Amex even though I'm a bit worried about the SPG/Marriott merger.

Oh well, another reason for me to feel like I'm growing apart from United...
Old May 18, 17, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
I would try PMing UA Insider and ask why they are pulling the rug out from under lifetime members.
"This is a Chase decision, we have no input on annual fees"
Old May 18, 17, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cupertino View Post
That's a total bummer for individuals with the lifetime membership; and it almost sounds that your speaking with someone at the customer service level that doesn't understand why this was reduced in the first place. I wonder if someone in a higher level position (management) could possible help out.

Then it comes down to how much effort do you really want to go through to get the help you need. Even then you don't know if you'll get the reduced fee.
Old May 20, 17, 7:22 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mnmag View Post
I had received the notice, but fortunately my renewal just processed at the $100 fee for lifetime UC members, so I can put off a decision whether to keep the card until next year.
Same situation for me. My $100 AF just posted. I will keep the card until next year - then cancel. Too bad - I sort of like the Prestige of the card.

But it offers me zero benefits as a LT UA Club Member and LT 1K, so don't need EQM or club access. I have the Chase Hyatt card - so already have the Hyatt benefit.

I use Avis (not Hertz) so Hertz benefit no use to me. Avis has kept me at the Presidential Club status - even with Chase switching to Hertz.

I don't stay at Luxury hotel brands - so no loss. I have several other $450/550 cards so I have all the insurance items.

I will likely get the Explorer base card at $95. United gives 1K's a $60/year card credit fee reimbursement, so likely makes sense to keep the low level card.

I see a new card type VISA United MileagePlus Select Card - which gives 3X on United tickets, 2X on gas/grocery/restaurants/home improvement. Any thoughts on this card? I wonder if United give the 1K $60 credit on this card? Although it appears to be a new type of awards program - not UA direct nor Ultimate rewards.

I am in the process now of switching all my auto payments from the PP card to other cards.

Last edited by cova; May 20, 17 at 7:27 am
Old May 20, 17, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I got the notice a couple weeks back as well. I think I will hold onto it, just as my flying will probably go down in 2 years' time, and I would like to have the FPQM handy to bump myself up to Gold when that occurs.
Old May 20, 17, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by cova View Post
I will likely get the Explorer base card at $95. United gives 1K's a $60/year card credit fee reimbursement, so likely makes sense to keep the low level card.
I don't believe this is a 1K benefit anymore.
Old May 20, 17, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by edcho View Post
I don't believe this is a 1K benefit anymore.
correct. That was gone a few years ago
Old May 20, 17, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT View Post
correct. That was gone a few years ago
My last $60 credit was March 2016.

Also the Explorer card gives 10K miles at $25K spend - so that is an added benefit the PP did not have.

Search this Thread