Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2024, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Primary rental car coverage vs secondary
Oh, didn’t realize Club card didn’t have primary. Good to know. Plus doesn’t hurt to save $75/year!
Old Feb 14, 2024, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AVIS President's Club
Originally Posted by jonu
At this point, are there any compelling reasons to keep this card over the Club card besides the lower annual fee? Any compelling reason to switch to the Club card?
I am trying to reason through this myself. I believe one other difference is the Club Card gives you 4x miles on United purchases where the PP Card is only 2. This is what is listed for on the Chase site for the Club card:

4 miles per $1 spent on purchases from United, including tickets, Economy Plus®, inflight food, beverages and Wi-Fi, and other United charges.
2 miles per $1 spent on all other travel purchases, including airfare, trains, local transit, cruise lines, hotels, car rentals, taxicabs, resorts, ride share services and tolls.
2 miles per $1 spent on dining including eligible delivery services.
1 mile for everything else.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I held onto my Presidential Plus card for 2024, mainly because the main added benefit (double the miles on UA bookings), while nice, didn't strike me as immediately meaningful. I am also paranoid that UA might revert the new cards to worse benefits at some point, so I figured I would give it at least a year to play out.

If nothing changes, then I fully anticipate getting one when the signup bonus is ample and rolling forward with the Infinite Club Card starting next year and saying adios to the Presidential Plus.
BallyLoser and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 1:19 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
A lot depends on what your Presidential Plus annual fee is. Mine is grandfathered at $375 a year and it just renewed this month. Although U.S. based, most of my recent flying has been on Star Alliance carriers (mostly ANA), so it's nice to be able to get United Club membership and Premier Access benefits as well as spend based PQPs with this relatively low annual fee, although I have qualified for at least Premier Gold for the past few years and Premier Platinum for this year. I don't see the benefit yet for me to upgrade to the Club Card, but the calculus may be different for others.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by auandagbug
A lot depends on what your Presidential Plus annual fee is. Mine is grandfathered at $375 a year and it just renewed this month. Although U.S. based, most of my recent flying has been on Star Alliance carriers (mostly ANA), so it's nice to be able to get United Club membership and Premier Access benefits as well as spend based PQPs with this relatively low annual fee, although I have qualified for at least Premier Gold for the past few years and Premier Platinum for this year. I don't see the benefit yet for me to upgrade to the Club Card, but the calculus may be different for others.
Indeed -- as a lifetime UA club member my annual fee is $100. I'm not willing to pay UA again for a club membership just to have the new card (which they do not discount fr lifetime members). So I keep the PPMC around for things like the upgrades on award tickets, rental car coverage, and free additional cardmembers.
SPN Lifer, SS255, mnmag and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Indeed -- as a lifetime UA club member my annual fee is $100. I'm not willing to pay UA again for a club membership just to have the new card (which they do not discount fr lifetime members). So I keep the PPMC around for things like the upgrades on award tickets, rental car coverage, and free additional cardmembers.
(bolding mine) Did not know that. Same situation for me, no way I'm changing if I hafta pay full annual fee!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2024, 8:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Same here — plus the travel insurance, which for most of my travel covers my needs.
mnmag likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:14 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
The Presidential Plus card has been devalued slowly.
At one point you could spend your way to Platinum 75k PQM and get Flex PQP which could be rolled over.
Then your PQP could be applied to 1k while others could not.
Now it is the same as the Club card and only gets you 10k PQP = Gold Premier level
And if my memory is right in 2023 there was no limit to the PQP from this card?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I agree that it has been devalued, and if UA does not decide to give it any benefits versus the Club Card, I am going to jump ship on it for the signup bonus and better benefits in time for 2025 PQP season, even if the annual fee is higher.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Apr 3, 2024 at 7:43 pm
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ffI
.... And if my memory is right in 2023 there was no limit to the PQP from this card?
It has always been $10K (since PQPs were introduced for the 2020 earning year). Prior to that FlexPQDs could not be used for 1K.
Easily verified using the Wayback Archive.
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:39 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
As one of those with the $99 grandfathered fee, hope the PP and UC cards are consolidated with the fees remaining the same.
elitefreak, Xyzzy and Say Vandelay like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
As one of those with the $99 grandfathered fee, hope the PP and UC cards are consolidated with the fees remaining the same.
I wonder about that too--anyone with lifetime UC have experience switching from PP to Club?
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 9:43 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
But 10k was enough for Platinum - now it is Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It has always been $10K (since PQPs were introduced for the 2020 earning year). Prior to that FlexPQDs could not be used for 1K.
Easily verified using the Wayback Archive.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Spend requirement was waived through 2019 for PP cardholders and you could generate FPQMs that would last for 3 years without limit that were good for Platinum but not 1K. The 10K limits you to Gold on spend only but you still need 4 PQFs on UA metal.

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
I wonder about that too--anyone with lifetime UC have experience switching from PP to Club?
I have been led to believe that the $100 AF on the Presidential Plus card was for that subset of cardholders who were also Lifetime President's Club members (now LT UC members).
It would surprise me if there were a similar discounted price for the United Club card.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 2024 at 2:10 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 4, 2024, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by 8MiHi
I have been led to believe that the $100 AF on the Presidential Plus card was for that subset of cardholders who were also Lifetime President's Club members (now LT UC members).
It would surprise me if there were a similar discounted price for the United Club card.
Agree I just don't see it happening. I am sure UA wants the sun to set on all of grandfathered LT PC members who were rolled into LT UC members. I don't think they want anything to do with making life easier for those Pres Plus card holders. JMHO
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.