Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP cardís 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming yearís desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesnít apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesnít apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Old Apr 4, 2024, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA
With the grandfathered AF much lower than current Club Card, Iím quite happy with my PresPlus card and benefits. Iíve said it before but itís like having Silver Lite
Old Apr 4, 2024, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by FreqFlyerCLE
With the grandfathered AF much lower than current Club Card, Iím quite happy with my PresPlus card and benefits. Iíve said it before but itís like having Silver Lite
Probably one of the bigger mistakes I made was not opting into the Pres Plus card years ago. I have currently held the Club Card for years now.
SPN Lifer, FreqFlyerCLE and 8MiHi like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 8MiHi (Post # 1289)
I have been led to believe that the $100 AF on the Presidential Plus card was for that subset of cardholders who were also Lifetime President's Club members (now LT UC members).
It would surprise me if there were a similar discounted price for the United Club card.
As a lifetime United Club member since the UA-CO merger (formerly lifetime Presidents Club), I would love it if there were a credit card available that did not involve me "double paying" for United Club access. Sadly, I have never seen such a thing since the merger.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
As a lifetime United Club member since the UA-CO merger (formerly lifetime Presidents Club), I would love it if there were a credit card available that did not involve me "double paying" for United Club access. Sadly, I have never seen such a thing since the merger.
Explorer, Quest, ...
8MiHi likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Sorry. I was referring to a card that included United Club access -- for which I was hoping to get a partial discount or rebate.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 12:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Sorry. I was referring to a card that included United Club access -- for which I was hoping to get a partial discount or rebate.
Why get a card focused on UC membership as the primary benefit, if you have a LT membership. Quest card is essentially all the benefits of the Club card but without UC membership. Net annual cost $125
atword and 8MiHi like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, that's what my wife, also a life member, got 18 months ago. (Since I am focused on lifetime mileage accrual toward Million Miler, I prefer not to redeem any awards on myself.)

Logically the value of a United Club membership is reduced for someone who already has one. This was recognized with the PresidentialPlus card, but not with the United Club card or United Club Business card.

That's okay. I will probably end up getting an Explorer card, and share the two Club passes with my adult son.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Received card in the mail today for a Pres Plus bonus PQP/Miles promo. Says it's targeted. Sign up at:
https://united.com/rewardsyourway24

My offer - 6600 bonus miles or 330 PQP for spending $6000 on the card between April 1 and June 30. Other bonus offers above that for spending $10K and $15K.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Mine is not eligible for the offer, sadly.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 8:45 pm

Thanks! Just signed up. Or course I just spent a wad on summer vacation travel in late March...
Old Apr 27, 2024, 4:40 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by paule123
Received card in the mail today for a Pres Plus bonus PQP/Miles promo. Says it's targeted. Sign up at:
https://united.com/rewardsyourway24

My offer - 6600 bonus miles or 330 PQP for spending $6000 on the card between April 1 and June 30. Other bonus offers above that for spending $10K and $15K.
I accepted my targeted Presidential Plus offer for 440 bonus PQP for spending $11,000 on the card between April 1 and June 30.
Old Jun 27, 2024, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA ExecPlat & 1MM/DL Plat/HH Diamond/Marriott Titanium
The Pay Yourself Back feature doesn't work on my card and Chase said nothing they can do, so frustrating
Also - my $395 annual fee was just charged on 6/1.
Need to decide if I keep it just for the Club membership and get Quest card for the PYB feature, or switch to Club card around renewal time? Thoughts?
Old Jun 27, 2024, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
The Pay Yourself Back feature doesn't work on my card and Chase said nothing they can do, so frustrating
Also - my $395 annual fee was just charged on 6/1.
Need to decide if I keep it just for the Club membership and get Quest card for the PYB feature, or switch to Club card around renewal time? Thoughts?
Yeah, I have the same problem. It worked a couple years ago for the AF but not for any charges this year. If you cancel now, you might get a prorated refund since its been less than a month. I am using Explorer for PYB and Global Entry fee credit.
Old Jul 3, 2024, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
My dad got an email from Chase/United about the Q3 spend promo.
Here is his offer first, then my offer - mine slightly higher spend. Doubtful I make this spend but data point for the group.

Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Registration link.
https://promo.united.com/offers/chooseyourreward2024

Old Jul 3, 2024, 10:09 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't get any emails about this. My offer was:

$155 in Unitedģ travel credit*
when you spend $8,500 on your card

635 Premierģ qualifying points*

12,700 bonus miles*

A cautionary note on the Travel Credit option - it's only valid for about a year - "TravelBank cash earned through this promotional offer is valid through August 31, 2025"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.