Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 26, 19, 5:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list (Club access policy).
Archive thread - Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates Polaris Lounges , International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with international *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agent's use same calendar day, can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy for those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights, they can access UCs at any same day connecting airport (including origin and destination)
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnel
    Active duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airport
    Maple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP
This is be modified 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 15, 18, 11:17 pm

United 1K. Flying DEN-LAX-NRT-MNL roundtrip next week. Usually fly United through to NRT so no issues with lounge access, however this time due to cost I have two separate tickets DEN-LAX on United in economy and ANA business LAX-MNL. United sees the whole itinierary when I login but I assume having two tickets will not get me into the United Club in either Denver or LAX? I know I can get into the Star alliance lounge in LAX on the way out. Since I have a long connection would I have access on arrival to LAX since I will be at Tom Bradley anyways?
Old Oct 15, 18, 11:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by shawnjeck View Post
I know I can get into the Star alliance lounge in LAX on the way out. Since I have a long connection would I have access on arrival to LAX since I will be at Tom Bradley anyways?
As a *G, your departure LAX-DEN will get you *A lounge access (but not UC access) at LAX. The arrival on NH gets you nothing. *A lounges are departure lounges.
Old Oct 15, 18, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by shawnjeck View Post
United 1K. Flying DEN-LAX-NRT-MNL roundtrip next week. Usually fly United through to NRT so no issues with lounge access, however this time due to cost I have two separate tickets DEN-LAX on United in economy and ANA business LAX-MNL. United sees the whole itinierary when I login but I assume having two tickets will not get me into the United Club in either Denver or LAX? I know I can get into the Star alliance lounge in LAX on the way out. Since I have a long connection would I have access on arrival to LAX since I will be at Tom Bradley anyways?
Yes, you'd have access at TBIT on the return; *G plus any outbound *A flight qualifies you.

You should have UC access at DEN and LAX in both directions, provided that your international flight is the same day. Nothing in the rules requires that the flights be on a single ticket.
Old Oct 17, 18, 12:46 am

Flying CPH-ORD-STL today. CPH-ORD is in SAS business, to STL is UA economy. All one ticket, no status. Do I have club access at ORD?
Old Oct 17, 18, 1:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by t325 View Post
Flying CPH-ORD-STL today. CPH-ORD is in SAS business, to STL is UA economy. All one ticket, no status. Do I have club access at ORD?
No
As a departure lounge. for someone in your situation, access depends on the departure flight -- UA domestic economy, no access.

You might get access in the T5 SAS lounge (as an arriving customer on their metal)
Old Oct 17, 18, 1:32 am

Really? When I flew NRT-DEN-STL all on UA while back, with the NRT-DEN leg in business and STL in economy, I had access to the lounge in DEN. Does the fact it's a partner and not UA metal this time make the difference?
Old Oct 17, 18, 1:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by t325 View Post
Really? When I flew NRT-DEN-STL all on UA while back, with the NRT-DEN leg in business and STL in economy, I had access to the lounge in DEN. Does the fact it's a partner and not UA metal this time make the difference?
Yes
Premium cabin arriving passenger may have access to the departure lounges operated by their arrival carrier. UA does this, as do some other *A carriers. You will need to check if SAS/SK does.
Old Oct 19, 18, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Here is my recent experience / problem with the Star Gold "same day" access policy:

PHL-ORD-TPE. Ticket was booked thru UA, one ticket, one PNR.

PHL-ORD, on UA, in First. Departs PHL at 4:55 pm, arrives into ORD at 6:15 pm.
ORD-TPE, on EVA, in Business. Departs ORD at 12:30 am. Boards at 11:50 pm.

Tried to access the United Club at PHL. There were two agents at the desk in the Club. I presented my UA*G (Star Gold / MM) card and my two boarding passes to Agent #1 at the desk. She was clueless and unaware of any Star Gold access policy at all, and denied me access right away. Agent #2 started to listen in on the conversation, looked at my boarding passes, and stated the ORD-TPE flight was not the same day, and denied me access (even though the flight boarded the same day, and departed 30 minutes into the next day). Agent #2 stated the "same day" policy was new, and she had to follow the rules. There wasn't any rational consideration or interpretation of the "same day" policy wording.

At that point, I requested to see the Station Manager. Agent #2 radioed the Station Manager and asked him to come to the United Club, and asked me to sit over by the entrance door and wait. After about 5 minutes, and before the Station Manager arrived, Agent #2 called me back to the desk and said "they" were going to allow me access to the Club "on an exception / this time only" basis. (There wasn't any communication between the agents and the Station Manager during this 5 minute time.) Agent #2 asked to see my UA*G card and boarding passes again, and manually recorded something on a log sheet. The Station Manager arrived into the Club about 15 minutes later, but never approached or talked with me.
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JeepGuyDE View Post
...denied me access....
That is ridiculous.
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by JeepGuyDE View Post
I presented my UA*G (Star Gold / MM) card and my two boarding passes to Agent #1 at the desk. She was clueless and unaware of any Star Gold access policy at all, and denied me access right away. Agent #2 started to listen in on the conversation, looked at my boarding passes, and stated the ORD-TPE flight was not the same day, and denied me access (even though the flight boarded the same day, and departed 30 minutes into the next day). Agent #2 stated the "same day" policy was new, and she had to follow the rules.
You probably would have done better just presenting your boarding pass PHL-ORD for scan. It's coded with your UA Gold status and I suspect it would have worked. No need to show your card.
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
You probably would have done better just presenting your boarding pass PHL-ORD for scan. It's coded with your UA Gold status and I suspect it would have worked. No need to show your card.
Um, same day boarding, next day departure

Letter of policy, IMHO, says NO.
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
Um, same day boarding, next day departure

Letter of policy, IMHO, says NO.
The consistent experience has been that the post-midnight TPACs are treated as same day for purposes of lounge access.

So, for example, I got into the Polaris lounge at SFO at 10 pm Oct. 18 for a 1:00 am BR departure on Oct. 19, no problem.
Old Oct 19, 18, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The consistent experience has been that the post-midnight TPACs are treated as same day for purposes of lounge access.
As it should be.

So if I have a 11:30PM departure, and I thus get admitted to the PHL UA club but then they hear of a delay at ORD of 45 minutes, they come and seek me out and kick me out of the club, because I am now departing the next day?
Pathetic, and the reason why the term 'lounge dragon' still exists.
Old Oct 31, 18, 10:04 pm

United's site currently states that UA Gold gets access with a same-day international flight. Are there any recent data points on whether that is interpreted "within 24 hours?" I have an outbound INTL flight early the next morning but will be passing through an airport with a club the evening before.

Thanks!
Old Nov 1, 18, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer View Post
United's site currently states that UA Gold gets access with a same-day international flight. Are there any recent data points on whether that is interpreted "within 24 hours?" I have an outbound INTL flight early the next morning but will be passing through an airport with a club the evening before.

Thanks!
Recent data points suggest that it is not.

Search this Thread