Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Award seat available online but phone agent cannot see it (not a "phantom" award)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award seat available online but phone agent cannot see it (not a "phantom" award)?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

I just went through a weird situation with United phone agent.

Today, ANA start accepting reservations for their new flight NH846 (SIN->NRT) and NH174 (NRT->IAH)

I try to book these two flights, along with some others, as the following:

ORD->ICN->SYD |7 days stop-over| SYD->BKK | 1 month | BKK->SIN->NRT->IAH->ORD

I am pretty sure my routing is valid (if not, please kindly enlighten me) and I already verify that all segment have an available seat. But, of course, United website gave me an error.

I called United reservation center, and got a lovely lady to assist me. Everything was fine until I mentioned SIN->NRT segment (NH846) and NRT->IAH (NH174) and she said she could not see the flight from both award and revenue inventory.

I already double-checked that both flight shows up on United.com and one can book it online (i.e., it is not a "phantom" award availability).

Any suggestions?

Edit:

I can book ORD->ICN->BKK and BKK->SIN->NRT->IAH->ORD online separately but combining them (in every combination I tried) results in an error.

Last edited by godsquare; Dec 16, 2014 at 8:49 pm
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had similar issues with LH404 recently (the late FRA-JFK flight). Ask the agent to try to "long sell" the segment. It should come back confirmed if there really is space.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Is this an award or revenue booking? If award, how did you "verify" there is an award seat available?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Is this an award or revenue booking? If award, how did you "verify" there is an award seat available?
Award seat.

I can verify it by trying to book the award. If it is a "phantom", you will get an error before going to personal information page.

Originally Posted by sbm12
I had similar issues with LH404 recently (the late FRA-JFK flight). Ask the agent to try to "long sell" the segment. It should come back confirmed if there really is space.
The thing is, my phone agent cannot even find the flight itself.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2014 at 9:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by godsquare
The thing is, my phone agent cannot even find the flight itself.
Yeah, the phrase "long sell" refers to a reservation-system process where you assert that the flight exists; like, you type in commands which say

"add a sector on NH174 NRT-IAH 03 Nov"

and then the reservation system accepts, or denies, your command. No "finding the flight" needed.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If it is a "phantom", you will get an error before going to personal information page.
Not necessarily. There are hundreds of ways bugs can manifest themselves.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
This is a known issue with new flights and SHARES. It takes an extra few days before they're sometimes loaded into SHARES. The website may even show them because it queries ITA, IIRC, but it won't confirm because SHARES doesn't see them yet.

I had this earlier this year with the new TK flight SFO-IST. The issue has been going on as far I can remember back in the CO days.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by sbm12
Ask the agent to try to "long sell" the segment. It should come back confirmed if there really is space.
It goes without saying, I suppose, but the challenge will be finding an agent willing to "long sell" an award segment. This is getting much more difficult in my experience.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
This is a known issue with new flights and SHARES. It takes an extra few days before they're sometimes loaded into SHARES. The website may even show them because it queries ITA, IIRC, but it won't confirm because SHARES doesn't see them yet.

I had this earlier this year with the new TK flight SFO-IST. The issue has been going on as far I can remember back in the CO days.
Thanks. So my best bet is to wait for a few days?

Edit: assuming that I might not be able to find an agent to long-sell those segments for me?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. So my best bet is to wait for a few days?

Edit: assuming that I might not be able to find an agent to long-sell those segments for me?

That would be the least frustrating thing to do and preserve as much of your hair as possible.

Of course there's a chance the inventory changes and you lose the space, but getting someone at UA to deviate from the computer can be thoroughly exasperating.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
That would be the least frustrating thing to do and preserve as much of your hair as possible.

Of course there's a chance the inventory changes and you lose the space, but getting someone at UA to deviate from the computer can be thoroughly exasperating.
That I agree, lol.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 8:14 am

If those two flights really are bookable online, then make an online reservation that includes those two legs within a simple itinerary (e.g., conventional roundtrip). Then call within 24 hours to change the itinerary to your desired one with the stopover, taking care to not touch those two legs. No change fee that way and no $25 phone booking fee either.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1k
@generic123: I've done this in the past, and it works! You just book the flight that the united agents claim isn't there but that you know is there (in my case, it was a Lufthansa first class award flight segment) online, then call them once it's issued to tack on the rest of the itinerary.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Not necessarily. There are hundreds of ways bugs can manifest themselves.
OK. How about this. These award seats also showed up on ANA search tool.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by generic123
If those two flights really are bookable online, then make an online reservation that includes those two legs within a simple itinerary (e.g., conventional roundtrip). Then call within 24 hours to change the itinerary to your desired one with the stopover, taking care to not touch those two legs. No change fee that way and no $25 phone booking fee either.
If this is the new flight bug, it usually won't confirm or ticket. That's because when it gets to SHARES to save, SHARES won't have it, causing a mismatch, and ticketing to fail.

You can certainly try, but that's been my experience.

OK. How about this. These award seats also showed up on ANA search tool.
Yes, because the flights are there and open for award. CO.com can see it (ITA engine), ANA can see it, Aeroplan will see it. It's just SHARES that can't see it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.