Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by susiesan
If ET awards with UA miles are gone then I have only one option to get to and from JRO for a Tanzania safari vacation, Turkish. I really want to avoid having to connect through IST. This would really be a shame. If ET its no longer going to offer award seats then they should be dropped from *A.
Connecting through Istanbul is a pleasure compared to Addis.
Old May 19, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Phone agents can't book them either
Old May 20, 2017, 7:14 am

How can one find out whether the ability to book awards on ET through United will come back?
Old May 22, 2017, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If ET awards with UA miles are gone then I have only one option to get to and from JRO for a Tanzania safari vacation, Turkish. I really want to avoid having to connect through IST. This would really be a shame. If ET its no longer going to offer award seats then they should be dropped from *A.
Clearly you've never been to either ADD or IST ... IST is a joy to connect at. It has one of the best *G lounges anywhere. ADD is absolutely the pposite.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Clearly you've never been to either ADD or IST ... IST is a joy to connect at. It has one of the best *G lounges anywhere. ADD is absolutely the pposite.
For someone going on safari, I wouldn't be surprised if there is current concern over the current electronics in cabin ban and very expensive and fragile camera kit.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TomMM
Last year I flew TK and ET on the same itinerary and TK was way better. First time I've been severed food by a Chef on a flight.
I also find TK crew to be more willing to go the extra mile than the ET ones.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
You are correct, I had been to neither nor have flown either airline. But because this trip will be on award tickets I have to take what I can get. In taking such a long trip I look for the routing that has the lowest total travel time with the fewest connections and shortest layovers. If TK is available and is close to ET I will try for that. If not, I'll go on ET.

And yes, I am very concerned about the cabin electronics ban as it affects cameras. Hopefully when it shakes out each pax can take 1 electronic item and 1 cellphone. I'll take the tablet and my husband will take the good camera. I can check i the digital point and shoot.

Last edited by susiesan; Jun 19, 2017 at 10:57 am
Old May 22, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You are correct, I had been to neither nor have flown either airline. But because this trip will be on award tickets I have to take what I can get. n taking such a long trip I look for the routing that has the lowest total travel time with the fewest connections and shortest layovers. If TK is available and is close to ET I will try for that. If not, I'll go on ET.

And yes, I am very concerned o the cabin electronics ban as it affects cameras. Hopefully when it shakes out each pax can take 1 electronic item and 1 cellphone. I'll take the tablet and my husband will take the good camera. I can check i the digital point and shoot.
I hadn't thought of the recently-new electronics ban so I'm glad smeone brought it up! (FT is wonderful for that) I speak from having transited both airports. The ADD airport is pretty ghastly - even if you have lounge access.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
FWIW, I was planning to book an ADD-TLV flight a couple of weeks ago for November, but got bogged down with other things. Earlier I checked, and of course the availability was gone.

I called the award reservations desk and the agent first ran all sorts of excuses by me (ADD is too small of an airport, only TK is willing to fly there, ET isn't a partner airline etc), following which I asked in a nice, but firm manner to speak to a supervisor. 10 mins later she comes back and says she has called web support and that she has identified the flight I want and will book it for me while waiving the phone booking fee. It took about an hour to complete, but joy was achieved.

So, it seems web support is aware of the problem and has found a mechanism via which agents can be allowed to make a booking.

I received the e-ticket almost instantaneously.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Gold
Angry

Originally Posted by jiaotze
I called the award reservations desk and the agent first ran all sorts of excuses by me (ADD is too small of an airport, only TK is willing to fly there, ET isn't a partner airline etc), following which I asked in a nice, but firm manner to speak to a supervisor. 10 mins later she comes back and says she has called web support and that she has identified the flight I want and will book it for me while waiving the phone booking fee. It took about an hour to complete, but joy was achieved.

So, it seems web support is aware of the problem and has found a mechanism via which agents can be allowed to make a booking.

I received the e-ticket almost instantaneously.
Yikes, how tedious to have it take an hour for something you used to be able to do yourself. How much time did you have to spend o the phone with the agent searching for available award flights? Hopefully ET and UA will get this fixed soon.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
As someone who transits both airports regularly (weekly on average through one or the other), I beg to disagree. Addis may not be as glitzy as Istanbul, but if you are *G or in Business Class the lounges are adequate and the separate priority security checkpoint and priority boarding areas make it quite painless. Meanwhile, the "priority" lines in Istanbul are a joke if you are in transit.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
is ua going to fix it?
Old May 30, 2017, 8:34 am

I am wondering the same thing . . .

Having to call an Agent to book is quite a frustrating process, especially when you are going in blind as to availability.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by B747-437B
As someone who transits both airports regularly (weekly on average through one or the other), I beg to disagree. Addis may not be as glitzy as Istanbul, but if you are *G or in Business Class the lounges are adequate and the separate priority security checkpoint and priority boarding areas make it quite painless. Meanwhile, the "priority" lines in Istanbul are a joke if you are in transit.
But in terms of onboard and lounge product, TK >>>>>>>>>>>> EK

I can deal with longer security lines for that.

YMMV
Old May 30, 2017, 2:00 pm

But in terms of onboard and lounge product, TK >>>>>>>>>>>> ET. I can deal with longer security lines for that.
In Economy, I can pre-reserve exit rows for free on Ethiopian (near 100% success rate) while I have to pay for those on Turkish, even with status. And Ethiopian blocks the seat next to me as a *G which Turkish doesn't. And in Business Class on mid to longhaul flights (5+ hours), there is a much higher likelihood of getting a flat seat/bed on ET than on TK. And ET's Cloud Nine catering out of Addis is on par with Turkish (but some outstations can be dodgy).

The lounge is probably the only place where Turkish has a clear advantage over Ethiopian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.