Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:22 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I'm trying to book ET flights as UA awards and see all sorts of phantom inventory on the UA site that then turns out not to be bookable. S, I'd guess that this issue is still very much alive and well. Regular agents were of little help. After calling the UA ESD we were able to walk them through to find flights that have real inventory. As mentioned above, it took a loooong time.
Its hit and miss. One set of ET flights ex ADD went smoothly and ticketted almost immediately. But when trying to book ET CPT or JNB to ADD, phantom availability was everywhere - indicated by error codes when attempting to book. A phone agent went through "its now unavailable" but eventually she tried and said "oh yes, this is wierd - I hate this system so much". Several times on hold (I assume she was conferring with a supervisor) and eventually she / we found flights that fitted my itinerary. It was clear that the inventory visible to her was different to that shown on ua.com.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:03 pm

UA displayed and attempted to sell a phantom saver award

My wife and I are going to Portugal and Spain in July. We locked down our dates and began planning our itinerary, finally settling on:

July 3....LAX > LIS
July 20...FAO > BIO
July 25...BIO > LAX

We generally try to fly business class on the way home and just my luck, I found Business Saver availability from Bilboa, Spain to Los Angeles via Dublin.

Flight details...

July 25...BIO > DUB
Aer Lingus...EI 749

July 26...DUB > LAX
Ethiopian...ET 504

Fast forward to this morning and I got an email stating that they were unable to confirm our flights. I called them to see what was up and I learned that the Ethiopian flight is sold out and there is ZERO business award availability from pretty much any city in Spain or Portugal.

I could book a standard economy award for 65k miles, but that's hard to swallow considering I thought I as getting business class for 70k.

Does anyone have any advice on getting from Bilbao, Spain to Los Angeles, preferably in business class?

I've previously waited to the last minute to book business class on AA as partner airlines typically release some seats a few days before the flight. Does United have anything similar?

We have about 200k united miles, 240k UR, 28k AA, and 56k SPG

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Mattymess
.... Fast forward to this morning and I got an email stating that they were unable to confirm our flights. I called them to see what was up and I learned that the Ethiopian flight is sold out and there is ZERO business award availability from pretty much any city in Spain or Portugal. ....
How much time lapsed?
The way partner flights are handle, the partner has to accept the award request and that can take time. And as business award space, if that popped up it could have been noticed by others and you lost the race. Plus the inventory information can be stale at times.

....I could book a standard economy award for 65k miles, ....
no standard awards on partners, just UA operated flights

....I've previously waited to the last minute to book business class on AA as partner airlines typically release some seats a few days before the flight. Does United have anything similar? ....
Yes, this can happen but it is up to the partner and if the flight is sold out, it of course will not happen
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Can you edit the title, as it suggests that you succeeded in having UA get a partner to give you an award!

I would suggest, "UA advertise and sold a phantom saver award"

Advice? Keep checking!
Old Mar 24, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I've previously waited to the last minute to book business class on AA as partner airlines typically release some seats a few days before the flight. Does United have anything similar?
Yes, the logic is the same in that a common time to find premium award seats is within 7 days of departure as they finally give up on the hope of selling them for cash or upgrade instruments.

But it's by no means a guarantee and you should have a backup plan.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
Can you edit the title, as it suggests that you succeeded in having UA get a partner to give you an award!

I would suggest, "UA advertise and sold a phantom saver award"

Advice? Keep checking!
I alerted the mods to change the title to your suggestion. Thanks.

I'll for sure keep looking. I have to find something and hope an award flight becomes available

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How much time lapsed?
The way partner flights are handle, the partner has to accept the award request and that can take time. And as business award space, if that popped up it could have been noticed by others and you lost the race. Plus the inventory information can be stale at times.

no standard awards on partners, just UA operated flights

Yes, this can happen but it is up to the partner and if the flight is sold out, it of course will not happen
I booked the flight on Wednesday evening, so roughly 40 hours since original booking.

Originally Posted by findark
Yes, the logic is the same in that a common time to find premium award seats is within 7 days of departure as they finally give up on the hope of selling them for cash or upgrade instruments.

But it's by no means a guarantee and you should have a backup plan.
That's exactly what I do with AA. Book an economy flight with awards and then wait a business/first award pops up. The good thing with AA is that they don't charge you for award flight changes. How about United?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 24, 2017 at 7:11 pm Reason: To combine consecutive posts of same member in same thread.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I booked the flight on Wednesday evening, so roughly 40 hours since original booking.
The other carrier, ET has 72 hours to confirm positive space or else the reservation is auto-cancelled. UA cannot ticket the reservation until the space is confirmed. Here, ET chose not to confirm with 32 hours to go on the clock. Note that this applies to all tickets, not just awards.

While some carriers may confirm positive space relatively instantly, ET is not one of them.

Thus, your situation is simply that you don't have a ticket and should not plan until you do. It seems a bitter pill, but your choices are the Y and hope for J or figure out another route, perhaps via FRA-EWR-LAX (where UA might help you on its own metal).
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA
That's exactly what I do with AA. Book an economy flight with awards and then wait a business/first award pops up. The good thing with AA is that they don't charge you for award flight changes. How about United?
Depends on status:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The good thing with AA is that they don't charge you for award flight changes.
Not true according to https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...v#awardcharges
Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage awards than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement fee, and a new award ticket issued
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
ET flies from DUB to LAX?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
ET flies from DUB to LAX?
It's apparently a fifth freedom thing that allows them longer distances from their high altitude home base in Addis Ababa, and Dublin will allow segment flyers for the LA route rather than just a refueling stop.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/t...blin-1.2177237
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
While some carriers may confirm positive space relatively instantly, ET is not one of them.
I just booked a UA award ticket on ET and it ticketed within 4 minutes. I was pleasantly surprised, but maybe they're getting better at this.

Seth
Old May 10, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
ET award space is gone?

There is zero ET award space showing on UA.com?
glitch? or something new?
Old May 10, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by pbd456
There is zero ET award space showing on UA.com?
glitch? or something new?
I've found the opposite to be true. Often United.com shows award space on ET flights only to be told it can't be booked and doesn't actually exist.

Call UA and check what they see because the website still has many issues.

-RM
Old May 10, 2017, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
The other carrier, ET has 72 hours to confirm positive space or else the reservation is auto-cancelled. UA cannot ticket the reservation until the space is confirmed. Here, ET chose not to confirm with 32 hours to go on the clock. Note that this applies to all tickets, not just awards.

Thus, your situation is simply that you don't have a ticket and should not plan until you do. It seems a bitter pill, but your choices are the Y and hope for J or figure out another route, perhaps via FRA-EWR-LAX (where UA might help you on its own metal).

Just ticketed ET instantly using United miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.