Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Issues with ET ghost availability and inability to confirm bookings have been around for a while now. If you do end up making a booking, make ~extra~ sure to check the confirmation with ET. If you end up making a change through UA, make ~extra, extra~ sure ET has the change confirmed.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:29 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by waxearwings
Issues with ET ghost availability and inability to confirm bookings have been around for a while now. If you do end up making a booking, make ~extra~ sure to check the confirmation with ET. If you end up making a change through UA, make ~extra, extra~ sure ET has the change confirmed.
that happened a few years ago.. apparently ET changed flight numbers but ticket was never reissued... got to the BJM airport and I had a ticket just not for that flight number... and no wifi or cell phone service at the airport to take care of it. And I was $100 short in cash to actually buy the ticket.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:23 am

Seats are showing up on aeroplan.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is united.com not showing any Ethiopian award space?

As of a couple of days ago, I'm not seeing any. I've tried some dummy searches, can't find any. Has Ethiopian drastically restricted/eliminated its available award space to United, or is this a website glitch, or am I an idiot?
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K(until 2024), MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Earlier this year, .bomb was showing tons of Ethiopian award space, but none of it was bookable, even by calling. So, I guess they've fixed one problem, only to create its opposite.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Is united.com not showing any Ethiopian award space?

Are you sure the space is available as an award? If there is no award space available, then it won't show. Checking the same route on other sites (Aeroplan, ANA, etc.) might give you a better idea. What routing and when?

I haven't checked in a while, and I've never actually tried ticketing (layovers were loooong), but I've definitely seen ET award space in the past.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:44 pm

No, UA is not currently showing any ET space. All the other usual sources seem to have no problem displaying it.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Are you sure the space is available as an award? If there is no award space available, then it won't show. Checking the same route on other sites (Aeroplan, ANA, etc.) might give you a better idea. What routing and when?

I haven't checked in a while, and I've never actually tried ticketing (layovers were loooong), but I've definitely seen ET award space in the past.

Yes, I checked on aeroplan and avianca and they showed the award space. United is showing none. Like just putting in ADD-NBO for any date shows nothing, and it doesn't even show you a calendar of available dates. It looks like they are just showing no ET space at all.

I'm curious if any seats are bookable if you find them on aeroplan, etc. or are ET award seats no longer bookable on United? If so, I consider that to be a major devaluation.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Yes, I checked on aeroplan and avianca and they showed the award space. United is showing none. Like just putting in ADD-NBO for any date shows nothing, and it doesn't even show you a calendar of available dates. It looks like they are just showing no ET space at all.

I'm curious if any seats are bookable if you find them on aeroplan, etc. or are ET award seats no longer bookable on United? If so, I consider that to be a major devaluation.

If the award seats are actually available, then they will most certainly be bookable with UA miles, at least over the phone. While carriers can certainly release some seats only to their own FF members, any space that can be booked on, say, Aeroplan, should be able to be booked through any * carrier FFP.

Not all carriers are available to book awards online, very notably, SQ. Unfortunate, but call and they should see the space.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
If the award seats are actually available, then they will most certainly be bookable with UA miles, at least over the phone.
I don't know, I thought some agents were having trouble finding the space even when it was initially showing available online.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:34 pm

Ethiopian award seats are still not showing up online. I just called in and the agent could see the space but she couldn't book it initially. She told me she could only put it on hold and wait for Ethiopian to confirm and I had to call back in 24 hours to book it.

I called back 10 hours later and the next agent was able to book it. They waived the $25 phone booking fee based on inability to book online.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
Ethiopian award seats are still not showing up online. I just called in and the agent could see the space but she couldn't book it initially. She told me she could only put it on hold and wait for Ethiopian to confirm and I had to call back in 24 hours to book it.

I called back 10 hours later and the next agent was able to book it. They waived the $25 phone booking fee based on inability to book online.
Thanks reminded me to update my experience.

i did the same thing although my first agent was able to book it for me and also waived booking fee.

However my initial reservation had me flying ADD to SEZ Sunday May 22, 2016 and agent booked that, I got a message from ET the following day that flight was no longer in service and was auto booked on the next avail ET flight which was Monday May 23, 2016.

After researching looks like they are flying limited services(2 flights per week vs normal 3 flights per week) during the off season of May 1 - Aug 1 like they did this year.

The Sunday flight is what gets eliminated during that time. Hope that helps with others planning purposes.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by GgHrOeSyT
Thanks reminded me to update my experience.

i did the same thing although my first agent was able to book it for me and also waived booking fee.

However my initial reservation had me flying ADD to SEZ Sunday May 22, 2016 and agent booked that, I got a message from ET the following day that flight was no longer in service and was auto booked on the next avail ET flight which was Monday May 23, 2016.

After researching looks like they are flying limited services(2 flights per week vs normal 3 flights per week) during the off season of May 1 - Aug 1 like they did this year.

The Sunday flight is what gets eliminated during that time. Hope that helps with others planning purposes.
Ethiopian Air has got to be the worst airline. They have yet again changed their weekly flights to Seychelles. Apparently as of 9/16/15 they now offer 4 flights a week Mon, Tues, Thur, Sat. and without alerting me in any way have moved my Friday June 3rd flight to Sat June 4, 2016. The part that really pisses me off is that now there are no business class award seats available back to IAD. ET didnt even bother to rebook my ET Friday June 3rd flight from ADD - BRU and left the original itinerary alone. Had I not randomly checked my ET Confirmation code I would have never known. When i look at my reservation on United.com it still says I'm booked on 6/3. Very frustrated with ET.

Booking Update - ET award flights are now showing on United.com
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by GgHrOeSyT
Ethiopian Air has got to be the worst airline. They have yet again changed their weekly flights to Seychelles. Apparently as of 9/16/15 they now offer 4 flights a week Mon, Tues, Thur, Sat. and without alerting me in any way have moved my Friday June 3rd flight to Sat June 4, 2016. The part that really pisses me off is that now there are no business class award seats available back to IAD. ET didnt even bother to rebook my ET Friday June 3rd flight from ADD - BRU and left the original itinerary alone. Had I not randomly checked my ET Confirmation code I would have never known. When i look at my reservation on United.com it still says I'm booked on 6/3. Very frustrated with ET.

Booking Update - ET award flights are now showing on United.com
I just did a trip through Africa with several Ethiopian segments, and yes, you have to be careful they do change their schedules a lot. At least they emailed me each time. Make sure they have your email address and that you re-confirm and show up at the airport early because sometimes they even leave 30+ minutes early it seems.

They do respond promptly to emails to customer service and gave me a prompt refund on a flight they cancelled that I rebooked on another airline.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:49 am

Looks like Ethiopian award seats are back on united.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.