Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dcbarry
..... Is there a way to determine if this is actually available as an award and worth pressing somehow? ....
The standard approach is to check if the flight shows available to another *A's program -- ANA, AC, ....

{moved this into a thread with other posters having the same issue}
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: United Miles
Ok, thanks. I checked air canada and ANA. I even went to ET's own site, looks like a no go to their own passengers.

Indeed, it looks like indeed this is UA's fault for showing phantom data. I see this is a problem dating back more than 6 months.

Sounds about par with the rest of my United experience. Shameful.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:41 am

The booking will go through if you book it on your cellphone. I booked an LAX - ADD - JNB award which refused to be booked this way
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: United Miles
Interesting, but I think your mobile experience may have been unique to that flight(?), and not generic.

I just tried on the IOS app, and after showing sevral Ethiopian awards as available, trying to book leads to:

"United Airlines: Sorry, something went wrong".

......Which I believe is their new motto (Minus the sorry, in many cases)

Last edited by dcbarry; Jun 30, 2015 at 6:34 pm
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:51 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
hmm, not seeing any ET availability now online.... I've tried a bunch of routes and dates. Usually ET award availability is pretty decent.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hauteboy
hmm, not seeing any ET availability now online.... I've tried a bunch of routes and dates. Usually ET award availability is pretty decent.
I just noticed the same thing today. Admittedly though I didn't search very thoroughly.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I just noticed the same thing today. Admittedly though I didn't search very thoroughly.
I've noticed this starting middle of June when i reached the 11 month mark of the 5 yr anniversary trip i was waiting to book in May 2016. I'd been searching flights from IAD to SEZ for weeks/months prior and always had 5+ options to fly in BC. I reached the 11 month mark but UA is usually a week or so behind that in posting saver awards so i was checking it multiple times a day and screenshotting the best routes available as a reminder. Literally got to where award flights were available 2 days before the date i will be leaving and then when i checked it 2 days later all Ethiopian air flights are no longer available. As mentioned above checked ANA and Ethiopian websites and nothing. My thought is Ethiopian has the problem displaying award flight availability to all airlines including their own members. Ive called the premier desk with no help from them either.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GgHrOeSyT
I've noticed this starting middle of June when i reached the 11 month mark of the 5 yr anniversary trip i was waiting to book in May 2016. I'd been searching flights from IAD to SEZ for weeks/months prior and always had 5+ options to fly in BC. I reached the 11 month mark but UA is usually a week or so behind that in posting saver awards so i was checking it multiple times a day and screenshotting the best routes available as a reminder. Literally got to where award flights were available 2 days before the date i will be leaving and then when i checked it 2 days later all Ethiopian air flights are no longer available. As mentioned above checked ANA and Ethiopian websites and nothing. My thought is Ethiopian has the problem displaying award flight availability to all airlines including their own members. Ive called the premier desk with no help from them either.
I ran some searches on the beta site last night looking up just such an itinerary for October and ET flights were showin up again, though only in Y.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
I ran some searches on the beta site last night looking up just such an itinerary for October and ET flights were showin up again, though only in Y.
Glad to know they are starting to show back up. What beta site were you using, UA's? I'm looking to book an award ticket IAD to SEZ may 20 or 21 return June 3.

Last edited by GgHrOeSyT; Jul 8, 2015 at 11:27 am
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:52 am

Glad to know they are starting to show back up. What beta site were you using, UA's? I'm looking to book an award ticket IAD to SEZ may 20 or 21 return June 3.
found the beta.united.com site and award flights with ET are available but not currently on the may 20th date i need. the return flight on June 3 has no availability currently.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:16 am

found the beta.united.com site and award flights with ET are available but not currently on the may 20th date i need. the return flight on June 3 has no availability currently.
UPDATE:
BC Saver flights for 6/3/16 from SEZ-> IAD became available today on the UA beta site but not united.com.

When trying to book on the beta site it errors out saying:
Error

Due to rapidly changing partner availability the following flights are no longer available. Please choose another flight or modify your search criteria.

Ethiopian Airlines flight ET878 - 06/03/2016 - 5:15 p.m. - to

However if you call the premier desk they can look up and book the flights for you and waive the phone booking fee which is what i did. The only difference is beta site listed BC available for all segments but when calling in UA agent didnt have BC availability for the first segment(ET878) which is what i believe caused the error above online. i booked it any way as the first segment is a shorter flight in economy with and the other 2 segments in BC with lie flat seats. Agent said to keep checking in and if BC becomes available for the first leg then they can ticket me for it without any fees or additional miles.

Hope this helps others!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:32 am

ET Availability seems to be gone now from the beta site as well...
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by hauteboy
ET Availability seems to be gone now from the beta site as well...
just noticed the same thing. they were showing up yesterday, i've been checking on a daily basis since i booked my one way ticket above.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:32 am

just noticed the same thing. they were showing up yesterday, i've been checking on a daily basis since i booked my one way ticket above.
has anyone had success searching and finding ET award availability?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:37 pm

Looks like we've been enhanced...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.