Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
While this is usually the case with similar situations, that's not what's happening. I emailed back and forth with an EF representative and they confirmed that they are not seeing accurate space on Ethiopian and they use the same vendor as united for their award availability (United is also not seeing space). Air Canada shows accurate space, and as I mentioned before, I was able to book an ET flight that showed up on LifeMiles but was unavailable on EF or United. If wanting to book ET currently, I would use air Canada to search as it has the best search engine and doesn't require someone to login to search space.
Were you able to get UA to book the award flights, even though they did not show up on the UA award search? I am asking as that is normally not something UA reps are willing to do.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 2:55 pm

In this process of not being able to book the intra-Africa ET award with United I want to book, I haven't found any reasonable way to escalate/highlight this issue with United. Who knows how long this will be a thing!

Aeroplan is more miles and more $$$ to the point of being unattractive. I've avoided ever fumbling around with LifeMiles, but that seems like the best available alternative for booking ET awards right now.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Were you able to get UA to book the award flights, even though they did not show up on the UA award search? I am asking as that is normally not something UA reps are willing to do.
No, reps couldn't see the flights, but I didn't HUCA or escalate or anything of the sort.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:00 am

How do I book seats on award travel in Ethiopian Airlines

I booked an award travel for family on Ethiopian airlines using united miles. But there was no option to book seats. I tried calling Ethiopian airlines, but they are always on hold and automatically disconnect after some time. I tried to use the booking reference number provided by united in Ethiopian airlines, but I got a technical error in Ethiopian. I used the number specific to Ethiopian

How can select my seats on Ethiopian airlines?

Last edited by ravi98842; May 11, 2022 at 9:10 am
Old May 11, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: UA
To clarify, you are using the booking reference number that United says to use with Ethiopian, correct? Have you tried using the Ethiopian Airlines app?
Old May 11, 2022, 9:23 am

Yes. I'm using the number specified for Ethiopian airlines. I tried their app as well. Same issue.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: UA
Have you seen Woeful Ethiopian Airlines IT? They provide some suggestions here, including trying different browsers, clearing cookies, accessing the booking via Malawian airlines, and calling the central help desk via Google Voice.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:13 am

Thank you for sharing. I tried Malawian Airlines with no luck and I've responded in the forum to request their central customer care number.
Old May 11, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
RE: seat assignments
You'll have to keep trying. This is a notorious issue.

As a broader issue, ET award space comes and goes on united.com. What you see (or don't see) is not always an accurate indicator of award availability.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I have an upcoming ET flight. I've selected seats several times and they keep getting changed. The original seats are open and I switch back only to find them moved to other seats a few days later.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I have an upcoming ET flight. I've selected seats several times and they keep getting changed. The original seats are open and I switch back only to find them moved to other seats a few days later.
How did you get access to ET seating and book.a seat since you have done it several times?
Old May 11, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
How did you get access to ET seating and book.a seat since you have done it several times?
I used the ET confirmation provided by UA and am able to edit seats after entering that info and my last name under My Bookings.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 7:19 pm

I booked EWR-BOM on Ethiopian Airlines tickets with united points in business class. I thought it should allow 2 x 70 lbs checked in bags but my itinerary shows only 2 x 50 lbs, I called Eth Air, rep told me it is upto united and I must show printed itinerary which shows allowance but I can not print itinerary with luggage allowance, can someone please guide me?

Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
The luggage allowance is in the eticket receipt email. On the itinerary page, click the Email receipt link, and send it to your email.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 7:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mak101
I booked EWR-BOM on Ethiopian Airlines tickets with united points in business class. I thought it should allow 2 x 70 lbs checked in bags ...
what led you to believe that?

but my itinerary shows only 2 x 50 lbs, I called Eth Air, rep told me it is upto united...
Since the flight is operated by ET and you will be checking in with ET, it will be ET's bag allowance rules. Appears ET does not offer 70 lbs at all, but for business it is 3x50 lbs (23Kg)

and I must show printed itinerary which shows allowance but I can not print itinerary with luggage allowance, can someone please guide me? ....
In the reservation on UA or ET, there should (it is required by US DoT) a statement on the bag allowance

There have been reports, particularity with TK, the carrier claiming the UA ticket says there is no bag allowance. It seems some confusion with the carrier interpreting the US -- but it should be the stand ET bag allowance for you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.