Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences

Old Nov 22, 2022, 3:17 pm

I checked my itinerary on UA and when I expand Checked bags at bottom of the ticket, it shows First bag $0 per person, Second bag $0 per person and weight per bag (50 lbs), so it does not say anything about third bag I called ET and she said since it ticketed from UA, they allow whatever it says on the ticket, Is there any other way to confirm it allows 50lbs x 3 bags?
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by mak101
I checked my itinerary on UA and when I expand Checked bags at bottom of the ticket, it shows First bag $0 per person, Second bag $0 per person and weight per bag (50 lbs), so it does not say anything about third bag I called ET and she said since it ticketed from UA, they allow whatever it says on the ticket, Is there any other way to confirm it allows 50lbs x 3 bags?
I've flown ET a lot out of ORD on UA award tickets (016 ticket numbers).You will be checked in by an ET employee/contractor who will most likely not care about whose ticket it is and allow you to check 2 bags per business class customer up to a maximum weight of 32 kg/70 lb (link to ET's baggage policy).

I currently have a UA award reservation for a Summer 2023 award flight on UA and ET to South Africa flying UA to IAD and ET to South Africa). I went in on my itinerary under My Trips and went through the Checked Bags link and ended up with the following image. It clearly states that as far as UA goes we get 2 50 lb bags each.

I don't see anything that states you can check more than two pieces of luggage in business. UA used to allow three bags when they operated Global First. And I believe most/all the airlines that still operate International First Class allow for three bags.

Spoiler

SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.

Last edited by cheltzel; Nov 22, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Is there some way to permanently filter Ethiopian airlines from the award search monthly calendar? It's getting annoying having to click into every single day that shows saver business, only to see that the only saver business flight on offer involves 30 hours of angled lie-flat through Addis Ababa.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by boat stuck
Is there some way to permanently filter Ethiopian airlines from the award search monthly calendar? It's getting annoying having to click into every single day that shows saver business, only to see that the only saver business flight on offer involves 30 hours of angled lie-flat through Addis Ababa.
Unfortunately no. But how else are you going to (very technically) visit Togo?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
I was lucky to book two one-way business flights ORD-ADD-NBO, but now I want to change the destination from NBO to JRO. I called UA and was told that I have to cancel my original reservation and then rebook the new flights. Makes me nervous because there's no guarantee that ET would return the cancelled business awards to its inventory (not showing anything now that I've booked the flights). Suggestions/experiences? Thanks.

Last edited by fzwinter; Feb 2, 2024 at 6:02 pm
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fzwinter
I was lucky to book two one-way business flights ORD-ADD-NBO, but now I want to change the destination from NBO to JRO. I called UA and was told that I have to cancel my original reservation and then rebook the new flights. Makes me nervous because there's no guarantee that ET would return the cancelled business awards to its inventory (not showing anything now that I've booked the flights). Suggestions/experiences? Thanks.
I wouldn't bank on those seats being returned to inventory. What happens if you try to change them online? It's been several years now but I used to be able to rebook flights online by keeping some segments and swapping out others, without new inventory being available.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't change them online, since I'm currently holding the only available biz award inventory for ORD-ADD. I'll probably call again and see if a kind and capable agent can keep the ORD-ADD segment while changing ADD-NBO to ADD-JRO. Also tried Ethiopian Air on-line to see if I could make changes through them, but wasn't successful. As a last resort, I could probably just purchase a coach seat on the ADD-JRO flight or a cheaper NBO-JRO flight if the schedule isn't too bad.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:57 am

Can't change them online, since I'm currently holding the only available biz award inventory for ORD-ADD. I'll probably call again and see if a kind and capable agent can keep the ORD-ADD segment while changing ADD-NBO to ADD-JRO. Also tried Ethiopian Air on-line to see if I could make changes through them, but wasn't successful. As a last resort, I could probably just purchase a coach seat on the ADD-JRO flight or a cheaper NBO-JRO flight if the schedule isn't too bad.
Would it be easier to book a seperate ticket for travel between NBO and JRO. There are several carriers that offer this service and the tickets look to be relatively cheap. There may be issues with the new Kenya ETA requirements as well as Yellow Fever vaccination requirements.

You have ET business class seats now and by messing around with a properly booked existing reservation, you run the risk of an inept agent losing them. And you would then have to buy more last minute tickets to replace them at some cost.
Old Feb 3, 2024, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Dont take this as gospel, but I cancelled three different times for YYZ-ADD for this summer as we couldnt make up our minds on the day we wanna go, and every time it went back into inventory right away. Same happened to ADD-JNB, and ADD-NOS, all returned right away.

However, I booked a new ticket for the day before/after before cancelling just to have backup in case they didnt.

And also, remember ET only seems to release one seat at a time, but as soon you book one, then one more becomes available.
Xyzzy and narvik like this.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Dont take this as gospel, but I cancelled three different times for YYZ-ADD for this summer as we couldnt make up our minds on the day we wanna go, and every time it went back into inventory right away. Same happened to ADD-JNB, and ADD-NOS, all returned right away.

However, I booked a new ticket for the day before/after before cancelling just to have backup in case they didnt.

And also, remember ET only seems to release one seat at a time, but as soon you book one, then one more becomes available.
Thanks for the insight. That gives me some hope.

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Would it be easier to book a seperate ticket for travel between NBO and JRO. There are several carriers that offer this service and the tickets look to be relatively cheap. There may be issues with the new Kenya ETA requirements as well as Yellow Fever vaccination requirements.

You have ET business class seats now and by messing around with a properly booked existing reservation, you run the risk of an inept agent losing them. And you would then have to buy more last minute tickets to replace them at some cost.
Yes, that's one thing I've been considering. Not so worried about losing business class for the relatively short flight and I could even book coach using miles.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 4, 2024 at 12:25 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 4, 2024, 3:17 pm

Yes, that's one thing I've been considering. Not so worried about losing business class for the relatively short flight and I could even book coach using miles.
I was thinking about you calling UA again to see if you can get something changed in the existing award reservation. If you look at the several lengthy threads on changing UA awards, there are several sad tales of people losing their already booked award flights without getting anything in return.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 4:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The issue is not at the UA end, the issue is with the partner and whether they allow existing space to be re-used on a change. Most don't.. Any attempt with a partner without a history of re-use is at your risk.

A skilled UA agent can perhaps change a UA operated flight perhaps, but changing a partner segment will force an ticket re-issue and you are at the whim for the partners involved.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 4, 2024 at 4:54 pm Reason: skilled
Old Feb 4, 2024, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'll probably just keep the award ticket as booked, but then book one-way Y ADD-JRO using miles (19k). Would I have any problems holding reservations for both ADD-NBO (the final leg of my initial itinerary which I wouldn't take) and ADD-JRO? Planning to carry on bags so no worries there.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA MM
Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'll probably just keep the award ticket as booked, but then book one-way Y ADD-JRO using miles (19k). Would I have any problems holding reservations for both ADD-NBO (the final leg of my initial itinerary which I wouldn't take) and ADD-JRO? Planning to carry on bags so no worries there.
Youre risking ET canceling the whole thing when they see youre holding reservations for two flights out of ADD. Why not make this easy on yourself and buy a NBO- JRO ticket? The flight is only 35 minutes in the air.
Old Feb 4, 2024, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Youre risking ET canceling the whole thing when they see youre holding reservations for two flights out of ADD. Why not make this easy on yourself and buy a NBO- JRO ticket? The flight is only 35 minutes in the air.
There would be a three hour layover in NBO plus the flying time after 19 hours of flying, so I'm reluctant to add on any more time to the trip. Do you think that ET would be able to cancel the existing ADD-NBO leg (retaining the ORD-ADD leg) to allow me to then book ADD-JRO?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.