Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
I recently checked baggage through from United to Air NZ on a SFO-LAX / LAX-AKL routing. UA Agent did it easily but it required all details of the Air NZ flight (Booking Ref, Class, Flight Info, Ticket #)

(I had to book two separate tix because I wanted prem econ on Air NZ and they won't sell it on United paper and AIR NZ won't permit the same day stopover in LA in its booking system. Oddly there was no problem for my business colleague who booked the same routing entirely on United paper into regular coach)

So when I reached LAX I only had to do the meandering trek from terminal 8 to terminal B without security re-screening. Yay!

However, when I reached the gate they called me up to check my passport (No Air NZ agent had seen it yet) and I happened to mention that I had through checked bags. She immediately asked me for the luggage tags and then had to call a supervisor to reopen the flight for more bags. So I guess you need to double check?

My colleague on United paper went up to double check after my experience and they said they already had his bags on the plane.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dav3d
However, when I reached the gate they called me up to check my passport (No Air NZ agent had seen it yet) and I happened to mention that I had through checked bags. She immediately asked me for the luggage tags and then had to call a supervisor to reopen the flight for more bags. So I guess you need to double check?
When you interline across tickets, you should always confirm the bag transfer at the transit desk. They'll need your claim check.
Old May 20, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
When you interline across tickets, you should always confirm the bag transfer at the transit desk. They'll need your claim check.
even sometimes when you are on the same ticket.

Had no problems within * A carriers ona single ticket, for example, IAD-FRA-BLR on UA for first segment, LH for the second. But when I came back BKK-HKG on CX, HKG-EWR on UA, also on the same ticket, Cathay tagged the bag through, but needed to go to the UA transfer desk to check in (because CX couldn’t do it) and to confirm the bag transfer.
Old May 23, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
I was successful interlining from UA to ANA (2 separate tix/PNRs due to an inability to get an award flight for our first positioning flight) CVG - ORD and ORD - NRT. Thank you for all of the help/advice.

Few things I found interesting:
Initially, UA on twitter advised I specifically NOT check-in to either flight beforehand in order to interline. Response/s on here said that doesn't matter. It didn't as I was auto checked-in for the ANA flight and did so manually for UA flight.
As advised, extra time was needed at CVG. And as expected, the first UA employee mentioned, "I'm not sure we can do that." A second employee made it happen w/in ~10min.
As I understood it, since UA was the first carrier, I would be responsible for paying any bag fees even though we were in J on the ANA flight. Unless I misunderstood that, I was surprised that the UA employee did not charge me (forgot? Saw we were in J for the ANA flight?).
Just noticed the comment and not sure if it applies the same, but we didn't "confirm the bag transfer at the transit desk." The bag came off the belt at NRT without issue.
(unrelated- the Polaris lounge at ORD is amazing)
Old May 23, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, Avis PC, National Exec
question on transfer in Amsterdam

I booked a ticket from Houston to Amsterdam and then later added on a 2nd ticket from Amsterdam to Munich. The IAH-AMS flight is United, the AMS-MUC flight is a United ticket and flight number operated by Lufthansa. United told me that when I check in at the airport I should bring both tickets and they can check my bag all the way through to Munich. They say they can only do this for me because I have Elite status.

My question is this: If United does indeed tag my bag to Munich, when I get to Amsterdam do I need to still claim and recheck it, or will it automatically be transferred to the connecting flight? Everything I've read says if I have two tickets I need to claim/recheck. But if United tags it through to the final destination, I'm hoping I can just go through passport control and skip the baggage carousel. My arrival time in Amsterdam is 9:20am and departure is 11:00am so I'm not sure I would have time to claim/recheck the bag.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocasierra
.... My question is this: If United does indeed tag my bag to Munich, when I get to Amsterdam do I need to still claim and recheck it, or will it automatically be transferred to the connecting flight? ....
If properly done, bags should go to MUC without any involvement by you. The bag tags should show MUC but probably does not hurt to check with LH on AMS if the bags made a proper transfer.
Old May 23, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by bocasierra
I booked a ticket from Houston to Amsterdam and then later added on a 2nd ticket from Amsterdam to Munich. The IAH-AMS flight is United, the AMS-MUC flight is a United ticket and flight number operated by Lufthansa. United told me that when I check in at the airport I should bring both tickets and they can check my bag all the way through to Munich. They say they can only do this for me because I have Elite status.

My question is this: If United does indeed tag my bag to Munich, when I get to Amsterdam do I need to still claim and recheck it, or will it automatically be transferred to the connecting flight? Everything I've read says if I have two tickets I need to claim/recheck. But if United tags it through to the final destination, I'm hoping I can just go through passport control and skip the baggage carousel. My arrival time in Amsterdam is 9:20am and departure is 11:00am so I'm not sure I would have time to claim/recheck the bag.
No need to check/re-check. As long as your bag ticket says MUC, you are good to go. You can be anal and check in AMS, but it is unnecessary.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If properly done, bags should go to MUC without any involvement by you. The bag tags should show MUC but probably does not hurt to check with LH on AMS if the bags made a proper transfer.
Originally Posted by Global321
No need to check/re-check. As long as your bag ticket says MUC, you are good to go. You can be anal and check in AMS, but it is unnecessary.
With a separate LH ticket, if you go to the transit counter to confirm the transfer, the LH agent will likely tell you it's not necessary (implying you're an idiot even for asking). If you don't, they will probably lecture you at the gate for not doing it.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
In Toronto I just had the UA agent refuse to interline my bag for a separate ticket--said he couln't do it and simply went on checking in my bag. I had one ticket with flights on United and ANA from Toronto to Singapore (through Chicago and Tokyo) and a separate ticket on Singapore Airlines from Singapore to Jakarta, Afterwards I asked another agent at the customer service desk if this is true, that they can't due it. He checked with someone else (I think it was a supervisor) and she also said it wasn't possible. Has the policy changed? I don't have much time in Singapore between flights (one hour and 40 minutes). I know that in SIN you can have your bags forwarded by asking at the transfer desk in the airside terminal. Will I have enough time? Or should I see if ANA can do something to check my bags through when I get to Tokyo where I have three hours but won't be collecting my bags?
Old May 30, 2018, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gspurr
He checked with someone else (I think it was a supervisor) and she also said it wasn't possible. Has the policy changed?
No. You just got bad agents. Is YYZ even UA staff?
Old May 30, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If it had been all United to Tokyo, it wouldn’t have been a problem. I think the agent (right or wrong) had a problem w/ ANA taking control of bag at ORD.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If it had been all United to Tokyo, it wouldn’t have been a problem. I think the agent (right or wrong) had a problem w/ ANA taking control of bag at ORD.
The first ticket is yyz-ord-hnd-sin so the baggage transfer before then shouldn't have been a problem (you don't have to pick up your bags in ORD coming from Canada as you go through customs and security in Toronto). What I wanted them to do was to add SIN-CGK to the end of the trip on a Star Alliance carrier (Singapore Air)--although they were not interested in the airline, just that it couldn't be done. FYI I was very polite during all of this and didn't raise a fuss at all.

So any advice on what I should do to get my bags with me to CGK? I'm still in the lounge in Toronto.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: UA 2 MM, UA 1K
I would just go to the transfer counter in SIN. They will pull your bags, as you indicate. I think this is the best way as they are set up to do that and are very efficient.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by dogloverjb
I would just go to the transfer counter in SIN. They will pull your bags, as you indicate. I think this is the best way as they are set up to do that and are very efficient.
Thanks for the advice. My only concern is if my plane gets delayed at all coming into Singapore. Fingers crossed.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:54 pm

Through checkin luggage on separate PNRs

I am travelling on United in economy from JAC to LAS and the flight connects in LAX. I have redeemed my Air India miles for this and they were unable to book this on a single PNR due to some system issues of Air India. So they have created two PNRs but they have given a comment mentioning the connecting flight and its PNR on the first PNR.

I will have luggage to check in and my queries are:
1) Will United through check my luggage in JAC? If not, how can I get them to do so?
2) Will they issue both boarding passes in JAC?
3) Will United be responsible incase of IRROPS leading to a missed connection in LAX?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.