Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by breakthrough37
Is there I can call at United to assist me?
What kind of phone assistance are you looking for

By the books UA does not interline w/ CX on separate tickets. UA does have an interlining agreement with CX and as a 1K you have a fair chance that the agent at the 1K check-in desk will check it through as a courtesy. YMMV for sure and no recourse if the agent refuses.

Usually, 1K and GS get away with it ... but it will depend on the agent. The GS agent in Boston will always check through
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
CX is not a UA partner and generally UA will not interline on separate tickets to a non-partner.
However some reports of agents doing this at the airport for higher elites.
You will have to wait till you get at the airport.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
What kind of phone assistance are you looking for

By the books UA does not interline w/ CX on separate tickets. UA does have an interlining agreement with CX and as a 1K you have a fair chance that the agent at the 1K check-in desk will check it through as a courtesy. YMMV for sure and no recourse if the agent refuses.

Usually, 1K and GS get away with it ... but it will depend on the agent. The GS agent in Boston will always check through
I will let you know what happens at check in.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kb1992
Can the bags be checked all the way to PVG?
The same responses apply to this situation. You may get lucky as stated above, but no guarantees.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
US Baggage Interlining

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
CX is not a UA partner and generally UA will not interline on separate tickets to a non-partner.
However some reports of agents doing this at the airport for higher elites.
You will have to wait till you get at the airport.

My baggage were checked LAX to HKG on United and HKG to KHH on Cathay Pacific. The baggage arrived in KHH with all the United baggage tags attached. The Transfer point in HKG is a long way from the arrival gate in HKG. The transfer agent for Cathay Pacific wanted to see my baggage claim checks and a ticket for a flight out of Taiwan before issuing a boarding pass.
Old Nov 18, 2023, 8:36 am

Flying an Award MUC-LAX in First with LH and wondering if its possible to check luggage through on a separated UA LAX-LAS ticket departuring the same day on a Basic Economy fare?
I know I gotta take through immigration in LAX anyways, but showing UA in LAX I just arrived in First Class with *Alliance, might help to avoid the 30/35 USD fare?
any thoughts/experiences?
Old Nov 18, 2023, 9:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!. slemmo

Originally Posted by slemmo
Flying an Award MUC-LAX in First with LH and wondering if its possible to check luggage through on a separated UA LAX-LAS ticket departuring the same day on a Basic Economy fare?....
Interlining bag policy is determine by the initial check-in carrier -- LH in this case. Believe LH generally will do this but best to check in the LH forum.

The BE segment does present problems. If initial carrier was UA, UA would not allow this. So again this needs to be checked in the LH forum (and earlier boarding).

If you don't get LH to interline the bags, showing up at LAX and asking UA to waive the bag check fee with not work.
Changing this to a no-BE ticket for $50 might be worth it to get the interlined bag, no additional bag fee and advance seat selection.
SPN Lifer, Global321 and slemmo like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 18, 2023 at 9:17 am Reason: (and earlier boarding).
Old Nov 18, 2023, 12:33 pm

I havent bought the BE-Ticket yet...just wanted to get thoughts on it beforehand.
thx for your answer!
Old Nov 23, 2023, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
so if I bought a seperate UA BUR-SFO (economy) and have a separate NH SFO-HND (J) will they interline the bags or am I dreaming? lol

I can buy the baggage for BUR-SFO if needed no status with anyone at STAR
Old Nov 24, 2023, 1:48 am

Ua bag interlining on separate carrier ticket

I didn't have any problems last week LAX TO HKG on United. HKG to KHH on Cathay Pacific. Saves a lot of times when the bags are checked to the final destination.
Amil likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Amil
so if I bought a seperate UA BUR-SFO (economy) and have a separate NH SFO-HND (J) will they interline the bags or am I dreaming? lol
As long as you’re not buying a Basic Economy ticket, UA will tag your bags through to HND, but you should show up early at BUR, as it can take a while if the agent isn’t familiar with the process.

Don’t pre-pay baggage; there’s an excellent chance you’d get it for free.
SPN Lifer and Amil like this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

They will check it through to NH and probably won't charge you for the bag either. Usually when they add a long haul J flight that baggage allowance carries over, but YMMV.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Amil like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 7:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Data point here.

Parents flew PDX-(UA)-SFO-(CI)-TPE last night. These were separate tickets. The United leg was on miles through United, and the China Airlines leg was a cash ticket through China Airlines.

Agent at PDX was able to through check to China Airlines without any issue (and waiving baggage charges due to my parents' Premier Silver status).
Old Nov 30, 2023, 12:40 pm

Hi all

I have a reward Polaris booking (using A3 miles) EWR-LHR next week.

I have a separate EI LHR-DUB. Will United thru check the bags? I know they’re not codeshare partners anymore but each of their websites say they’re still interline partners. (Travelling on an Irish passport if that matters)

Thanks
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Can UA interline my bag during 14hr LAX layover to SQ?

Hi,

I have a trip upcoming this April 12-13. I'm arriving at LAX the "day before" my long-haul flight. I'll have a short overnight at an LAX airport hotel. I'm looking to not have to deal with my checked bag so I can get through security before the SQ check-in desk opens on April 13 and have more time to enjoy the Polaris lounge. That interests me more than twiddling my thumbs in an airport hotel.

Coming in to LAX on UA1710 from ORD. Published arrival time is 23:58 on 4/12. Ticket issued by United is YN economy award fare.

Leaving "next day" (by 2 minutes) on SQ11. Published departure time is 14:20 on 4/13, about 14.5 hours after arrival at LAX. Ticket issued by Singapore is Business Advantage booked with KrisFlyer miles.

I have UA Silver status.

Is it possible for United to interline my checked bag? Should I check in to either flight before I talk to a United agent at the initial check-in desk?

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.