Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passengers baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Sep 17, 2023, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Wanted to visit the FCT for the first time post-covid so connection time in FRA is over 4hrs
I think we should just check the bags all the way to IST. We have our boarding passes for LH already so no reason to go airside I imagine.
Good idea A bit of a walk to the FCT but well worth it. That said, not having to clear immigration and security can be a plus as well and FCL B is open again.

Originally Posted by 100306054
I have an upcoming flight on UA from LAX to IAH, connecting to Emirates to DXB on a separate ticket. I am wondering if United will check my bags all the way through at LAX check-in or if I need to claim/re-check at IAH? I called UA reservations and they said I would need to re-check them at IAH but wondering if anyone had any different knowledge.
Usually ... no. That said, EK is now a 'kind of partner airline', so YMMV. Being in J and/or being 1K/GS will help. Definitely worth asking, but not likely.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 100306054
I have an upcoming flight on UA from LAX to IAH, connecting to Emirates to DXB on a separate ticket. I am wondering if United will check my bags all the way through at LAX check-in or if I need to claim/re-check at IAH? I called UA reservations and they said I would need to re-check them at IAH but wondering if anyone had any different knowledge.
Shouldn't be a problem - EK is treated like a *A partner w/r/t interlining luggage.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
In December, we're flying YVR-LAX on UA and LAX-UIO on a separate CM ticket/PNR. I don't see how the United agent could check us in for the CM flights, so I'm not sure what the best procedure is. In order to make for the smoothest experience with our bags, should I check in for the CM flights before or after checking in with United?
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In December, we're flying YVR-LAX on UA and LAX-UIO on a separate CM ticket/PNR. I don't see how the United agent could check us in for the CM flights, so I'm not sure what the best procedure is. In order to make for the smoothest experience with our bags, should I check in for the CM flights before or after checking in with United?
most of the time they actually can check you in for the connecting flight and issue BPs. In any event, checking bags through should not be an issue. You can OLCI for the CM flights or not, shouldnt make a difference
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:14 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Checked bag routing on separate tickets UA+TK

I am flying EWR-LHR on a UA cash ticket and then LHR-IST-BOM on a TK award ticket. Will UA check my bag all the way through from EWR-BOM since they are both Star Alliance, or will I have to collect it in LHR and then re-check it with TK?
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Arrive at EWR with a printout of your TK reservation that includes the ticket number (235...)
Tell the agent at checkin you want your bag interlined to the TK destination. You will get a claim check all the way to BOM.
Xyzzy and AutoSlash like this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:27 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Thank you!
Old Oct 15, 2023, 7:34 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Don't cut it close to the check-in deadline with UA in EWR. Plan an extra 30-45 minutes earlier than you normally would. Some agents are not familiar with the process to check bags through on separate reservations, and need time to (a) figure it out and/or (b) call the Help Desk where they may be put on hold for a while.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 10:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You don't need to be checked in later flight for UA to generate the bag tag. Bags will not be load until you check in.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
  • UA PHX-ORD F cash fare on UA stock
  • NH ORD-HND F award on VS stock
Does the VS stock cause problems here? UA Silver but I doubt that makes a difference. 4hr connection time.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Airstairs
  • UA PHX-ORD F cash fare on UA stock
  • NH ORD-HND F award on VS stock
Does the VS stock cause problems here? UA Silver but I doubt that makes a difference. 4hr connection time.
not a problem
Old Oct 26, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
not a problem
Thank you!
Old Oct 29, 2023, 11:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
Another datapoint: SFO-LHR on UA to LHR-ZRH on LX without any issues!
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
United to cathay pacfic checked baggage

Flying tomorrow from LAX to Hong Kong on United connecting to Cathay Pacific HKG to KHH. I have a separate ticket from Cathay Pacific.
I called United Premier 1 K about checking my luggage from LAX to HKG to KHH. The agent transferred me to the baggage department. The agent in the baggage department didn't know anything about interline transfers. The agent transferred me to customer service. The customer service agent transferred me to the Premier 1K. The Premier 1k agent said she could make any reference in my reservation. She said I might be able to do that the airport.

Is there I can call at United to assist me?
Old Nov 13, 2023, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by breakthrough37
Flying tomorrow from LAX to Hong Kong on United connecting to Cathay Pacific HKG to KHH. I have a separate ticket from Cathay Pacific.
I called United Premier 1 K about checking my luggage from LAX to HKG to KHH. The agent transferred me to the baggage department. The agent in the baggage department didn't know anything about interline transfers. The agent transferred me to customer service. The customer service agent transferred me to the Premier 1K. The Premier 1k agent said she could make any reference in my reservation. She said I might be able to do that the airport.

Is there I can call at United to assist me?
I have a similar situation.

BOS-EWR-HND on UA
HND-PVG on JL

All in business class, separate tickets.

Can the bags be checked all the way to PVG?

It would be a pain to be forced to enter Japan and pick up bags and re-check in with JL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.