Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passengers baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Sep 3, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by jackkyxu
got dp today at ewr
ua biz I connected to cx econ X
the lady seemed very familiar
told me she needed to do it in the old system

even got my cx bp
and i immediately got email saying my bag checked through to cx destination, also reflected in ua app
UA sells onward connections on CX so they definitely have an interline agreement for baggage. Is this one ticket or seperate tickets?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 5:13 am

I have a UA ticket from iad-cle-yyz, with cle-yyz operated by air Canada.
4 hour layover in yyz, then a separate AC ticket from yyz-sfo-akl, with sfo-akl on air new Zealand.
​​​​​
Agent at iad would not check my bags through to akl. Went to the back to talk to a supervisor, who never came out but also said it could not be done because it was a separate ticket.

Should this have been possible? I figured at the 1k desk they would know what they are doing. Thinking I should have gone to special services desk instead.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 5:25 am

Programs: British Airways Ruby, United Member, Marriot Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by djsinc
4 hour layover in yyz, then a separate AC ticket from yyz-sfo-akl, with sfo-akl on air new Zealand.
​​​​​
Agent at iad would not check my bags through to akl. Went to the back to talk to a supervisor, who never came out but also said it could not be done because it was a separate ticket.

Should this have been possible? I figured at the 1k desk they would know what they are doing. Thinking I should have gone to special services desk instead.
In theory, yes, it should have been possible. It depends on how well trained the agents were who were working the desk at the time. The bigger question is why you went through Cleveland to get to Toronto, then to San Fran on your way to Auckland? Seems like a round about way to get there. I ran into a similar situation with an even less complicated itinerary than you had and the agent pretty much refuse to escalate beyond her (ICT-ORD on UA then ORD-FRA-MAN on LH.) Some agents are more helpful than others.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ScottSchultz
In theory, yes, it should have been possible. It depends on how well trained the agents were who were working the desk at the time. The bigger question is why you went through Cleveland to get to Toronto, then to San Fran on your way to Auckland? Seems like a round about way to get there. I ran into a similar situation with an even less complicated itinerary than you had and the agent pretty much refuse to escalate beyond her (ICT-ORD on UA then ORD-FRA-MAN on LH.) Some agents are more helpful than others.
YYZ routings are generally speaking a LOT cheaper

Originally Posted by djsinc
​​​​​

That's pretty bad at IAD; they should know. Now, YYZ is a bit tricky because you are connecting US-Canada-US - that can be done though and I have done it successfully; since you are connecting to a 3rd country there shouldn't be any problem.

You should have escalated it; *A-*A is clearly covered by UA's rules and you are not asking for an exception.
Global321 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 6:30 am

Programs: British Airways Ruby, United Member, Marriot Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
YYZ routings are generally speaking a LOT cheaper

Fair Enough Having a 2 year old and not living in a major hub city, we try and go as direct as possible which is still 2 stops most of the time. We can get to our destination in 1 stop, but Singapore from IAH-MAN tends to be expensive.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: UA M+ Plat
gate check carry-on suitcase ex-LHR SAS flight?

Just about to leave on first international trip since the pandemic, and I'm so rusty! Flying ORD - LHR - ARN with a long (7h) layover in LHR. United metal for ORD - LHR and then SAS for LHR - ARN. I'm limited to a carryon-sized suitcase because of train travel I'll be doing within Scandinavia, but I'm debating whether to check it thru. (Also have a backpack for personal item.) Can I check the suitcase thru on SAS or would I have to pick it up in LHR anyway for Schengen immigration? If I don't check it, I'm sure it won't fit in the overhead of the tiny SAS Airbus plane, so will I be able to gate check just for that leg? I feel like I've done this a million times in the past without even thinking about it (albeit on Lufthansa, as that's my preferred intra-Europe carrier), but I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to validate in advance via SAS's website.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 14, 2023 at 10:40 am Reason: split post
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ooofta
Just about to leave on first international trip since the pandemic, and I'm so rusty! Flying ORD - LHR - ARN with a long (7h) layover in LHR. United metal for ORD - LHR and then SAS for LHR - ARN. I'm limited to a carryon-sized suitcase because of train travel I'll be doing within Scandinavia, but I'm debating whether to check it thru. (Also have a backpack for personal item.) Can I check the suitcase thru on SAS or would I have to pick it up in LHR anyway for Schengen immigration? If I don't check it, I'm sure it won't fit in the overhead of the tiny SAS Airbus plane, so will I be able to gate check just for that leg? I feel like I've done this a million times in the past without even thinking about it (albeit on Lufthansa, as that's my preferred intra-Europe carrier), but I'm finding it surprisingly difficult to validate in advance via SAS's website.

With regards to checked luggage, if you check at your origin, assuming you have one ticket, it should be checked through to the final destination.
Global321 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 14, 2023 at 10:42 am Reason: split post
Old Sep 14, 2023, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ooofta
It will be the same tiny A320 series that United, American, and Delta uses. Except United's A320 are ancient, so the modern bins on the SK A320NEO are probably bigger than United.

Anything not fitting on the A320 should not be a carry-on to begin with....

That all being said, SK at LHR does offer passengers to gate check items. Standard announcement in the gate
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2023, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by jaro
Can I interline a bag coming from UA SFO-LHR in deep discounted biz to LH LHR-MUC-MLA in economy? No status with both and separate PNRs (UA AABBCC and LH QQWWZZ)

If I read the thread correctly, this works as long as I do not have a basic economy fare on the LHR-MUC-MLA, ie there's checked bag included?
Replying to my own post: Was super easy, agent asked for e-ticket number and PNR; bags checked through to the final destination. They could not print the BPs out for me for the LH flights but I had them already on my phone.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Have a flight LAX-IAH on UA in economy. We will then transfer on a separate ticket to LH IAH-FRA-IST in F and J respectively.

Based on the info in the thread, it seems I should not have a problem through checking my bags from UA to LH, but I'm curious how the baggage allowance works. Will I still be charged for a checked bagged fee on my UA flight, or will they honor the LH extra baggage allowance for the premium fare?
Old Sep 16, 2023, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Have a flight LAX-IAH on UA in economy. We will then transfer on a separate ticket to LH IAH-FRA-IST in F and J respectively.

Based on the info in the thread, it seems I should not have a problem through checking my bags from UA to LH, but I'm curious how the baggage allowance works. Will I still be charged for a checked bagged fee on my UA flight, or will they honor the LH extra baggage allowance for the premium fare?
you will usually get the premium bag allowance, but that is not guaranteed.

consider re-checking at IAH if you have time. LH will tag it as HON and it will be manually transferred in FRA. If UA checks it through itll just have the regular priority sticker and handling.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 5:12 pm

you will usually get the premium bag allowance, but that is not guaranteed.

consider re-checking at IAH if you have time. LH will tag it as HON and it will be manually transferred in FRA. If UA checks it through itll just have the regular priority sticker and handling.
Thank you for the heads up.

We should have enough time, barring any major delays. What tangible benefit would I receive having it tagged as HON as opposed to standard *A Priority.

I imagine if I just have UA tag it to IAH, I'd have to pay the checked bag fee too
Old Sep 16, 2023, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Thank you for the heads up.

We should have enough time, barring any major delays. What tangible benefit would I receive having it tagged as HON as opposed to standard *A Priority.

I imagine if I just have UA tag it to IAH, I'd have to pay the checked bag fee too
Yes, you will definitely have to pay then. Depends on how short your connection is in FRA. HON-tagged bags get a manual transfer and special handling ... so much less likely to have any issues. If your connection in FRA is long enough then I wouldn't bother just because the bag will come out first at IST.

Else, check it through and go directly to the Polaris lounge ... the UA contract lounge at IAH sucks
Old Sep 16, 2023, 5:54 pm

Yes, you will definitely have to pay then. Depends on how short your connection is in FRA. HON-tagged bags get a manual transfer and special handling ... so much less likely to have any issues. If your connection in FRA is long enough then I wouldn't bother just because the bag will come out first at IST.

Else, check it through and go directly to the Polaris lounge ... the UA contract lounge at IAH sucks
Wanted to visit the FCT for the first time post-covid so connection time in FRA is over 4hrs

I think we should just check the bags all the way to IST. We have our boarding passes for LH already so no reason to go airside I imagine.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 3:21 am

I have an upcoming flight on UA from LAX to IAH, connecting to Emirates to DXB on a separate ticket. I am wondering if United will check my bags all the way through at LAX check-in or if I need to claim/re-check at IAH? I called UA reservations and they said I would need to re-check them at IAH but wondering if anyone had any different knowledge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.