Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passengers baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Jan 12, 2024, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brostman
When they inquired at the check-in desk about interlining the bags, they were told UA does interline with HA, but only for MP Premier Silver and higher members..... they were on award tkts and no status with UA. Does this sound right? Or did the agent just not want to be bothered with it given what I suspect was a chaotic day at ORD today. They did barely make their connection, even with having to claim their bags from UA and re-checking them with HA.
On a single ticket, the bags should have been checked through automatically. On separate tickets, because HA is not in Star Alliance, the official policy is that they will not interline. There are several reports of exceptions for Premier members.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:17 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by jsloan
On a single ticket, the bags should have been checked through automatically. On separate tickets, because HA is not in Star Alliance, the official policy is that they will not interline. There are several reports of exceptions for Premier members.
Thank you for the clarification... there were separate tickets involved.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Wondering if someone can clarify something for me. I have the following booked on a J award ticket on 016: US-LHR (UA), 10.5 layover (daytime, not overnight), LHR-BKK (BR); second ticket and PNR of BKK-VTE on TG. First question is, is the 10.5 hour layover too long for the bags to be transferred in LHR? Second, I believe I should be able to have the TG segment added to the bag tag and checked all the way to VTE at my US origin?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nevansm
Wondering if someone can clarify something for me. I have the following booked on a J award ticket on 016: US-LHR (UA), 10.5 layover (daytime, not overnight), LHR-BKK (BR); second ticket and PNR of BKK-VTE on TG. First question is, is the 10.5 hour layover too long for the bags to be transferred in LHR? Second, I believe I should be able to have the TG segment added to the bag tag and checked all the way to VTE at my US origin?
That should work, but bring an extra hour to check-in You have 3 segments on 3 tickets on 3 *A airlines - the agent will have to add both additional tickets to get the bags to check-through. 10 hours at LHR should not be a problem.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by cfischer
That should work, but bring an extra hour to check-in You have 3 segments on 3 tickets on 3 *A airlines - the agent will have to add both additional tickets to get the bags to check-through. 10 hours at LHR should not be a problem.
It's only two tickets, but the rest applies.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 5:56 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cfischer
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's only two tickets, but the rest applies.
Thanks for the info. To clarify, US-LHR-BKK is all 1 ticket on 016. Only BKK-VTE is separate. But your point is taken. The station I'm originating from has some of the best UA agents, but I'll certainly leave extra time of course.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nevansm
Thanks for the info. To clarify, US-LHR-BKK is all 1 ticket on 016. Only BKK-VTE is separate. But your point is taken. The station I'm originating from has some of the best UA agents, but I'll certainly leave extra time of course.
that should be easy then
Old Jan 16, 2024, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I haven't had an issue with *A interlining on seperate tickets for a very long time. The only thing to remember is to allow an extra 20ish minutes or so since sometimes they need to call the Help Desk for an override.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 12:17 am

Programs: I have a frequent flyer account with pretty much any airline to exist. Usually use AA and OW.
So I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. I got an AI award ticket thru TK before the devaluation from SFO to MAA, and booked a separate (UA award) ticket from AUS to SFO with UA. The current itinerary has a gap of 4 hrs 15 mins between the UA flight landing and the first AI flight departing. Should I be good on having UA interline bags? Could I ask them before over the phone to link the two so the agent at AUS knows? Or would it be better to book the morning flight out of AUS (pretty much 13 hours in SFO)? The only apprehension with the latter is that it is far more expensive and it might be too overkill, along with the greater than 12 hour rule for UA. What would you recommend?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lookatthenameyo
So I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. I got an AI award ticket thru TK before the devaluation from SFO to MAA, and booked a separate (UA award) ticket from AUS to SFO with UA. The current itinerary has a gap of 4 hrs 15 mins between the UA flight landing and the first AI flight departing. Should I be good on having UA interline bags? Could I ask them before over the phone to link the two so the agent at AUS knows? Or would it be better to book the morning flight out of AUS (pretty much 13 hours in SFO)? The only apprehension with the latter is that it is far more expensive and it might be too overkill, along with the greater than 12 hour rule for UA. What would you recommend?
Theres no way to link them, so theres point in calling. A 4h15m connection would be plenty of time in most situations. A 13 hour connection is overkill and, as you point out, prevents them from being able to check through anyway.

If youre not comfortable with the 4h15m, and the next earliest nonstop flight gives you a 13-hour gap, then you need to look at one-stop itineraries to get you to SFO. Personally, Id stick with your existing ticket and just keep an eye on operations on the day of your flight, and it a massive delay looks like a possibility, Id get to the airport early and ask about being rerouted.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 9:28 am

Programs: I have a frequent flyer account with pretty much any airline to exist. Usually use AA and OW.
Cool, thanks! That's what I figured. The alternatives (1-stop) are either Southwest or a UA flight thru LAX that gets there with a 11-hour gap. Probably better to stick to the flight I have currently.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 6:16 pm

Also, I wanted to ask. Does anyone have any experience with the check-in agents at AUS? Have y'all had any trouble with them? additionally, is there anything I could say to help them in case they don't know?
Old Feb 25, 2024, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lookatthenameyo
Also, I wanted to ask. Does anyone have any experience with the check-in agents at AUS? Have y'all had any trouble with them? additionally, is there anything I could say to help them in case they don't know?
I’ve had mostly good experiences checking in at AUS. The only real problem is that they can be overwhelmed with the hordes of travelers, and I’m always cutting it as close as possible w.r.t. check-in times. In this case, if you hvae status, I’d try to arrive about 2 hours prior to departure in case there’s a line or the agent has trouble. Without status, I’d add at least 30 minutes more. It sounds like you’re aiming for an evening departure, and the check-in desk isn’t usually as busy then as it is in the mornings. The last time I flew on a split ticket from AUS was May of last year, and it was straightforward, but there’s always a chance you’ll get a brand new agent.

As far as what to say: “I have a connecting flight from SFO on a separate ticket; can you check my bag through?” Hand the agent a printout of your itinerary, including the fare classes and ticket number, if possible. That should be it. If the agent starts to argue, you can pull up the appropriate UA policy and say something like “I had a friend who had to do this, and he told me the agent had to call their help desk, if that helps.” The help desk really shouldn’t have to get involved on a UA->*A transfer, but they should be able to tell a recalcitrant agent what to do regardless.

BTW, while you may only be seeing a couple of connecting flights to SFO when you’re searching for award flights, AUS-SFO has a lot of lift; depending upon your day of travel, there are 3-5 nonstop flights plus probably 10 more connecting itineraries you could take (through LAX / DEN / IAH). So if your flight looks like it might be delayed, don’t hesitate to get to the airport early and plead your case.

PS: Southwest would not be able to check your bags through to AI. They don’t check bags through to anyone. So they’re not a great option.
lookatthenameyo likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2024, 9:31 am

Yep. That's why I didn't book with Southwest even though the timings were slightly better. My flight is at 3:45 PM on a Tuesday so hopefully it isn't busy. I don't have status, but have TSA pre (global entry) so I was thinking 2 and a half hours before (like 1:15). I'm also flying J out of SFO, but I don't think that'd help at AUS. Thanks for your help!
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:43 am

My partner and I have a UA flight from DFW to IAH and we pre-purchased checked bags (1 bag for me and 2 for him). We have a separate award ticket on BR later that night in Business Class (IAH to TPE). I know that technically we should be able to get UA to check our bags all the way through. However, this is only our second time trying this (being based in DFW, I am much more familiar with AA rules), the first time we tried was in the summer of 2022 (DFW to IAH on UA, then separate IAH to SIN via Manchester on Singapore Business), and the UA agent flat out told me NO, she could not check the bags through. I pushed back and said I believe it's possible (since I had researched on Flyertalk in advance) but she insisted she couldn't. I was not confident enough to push the issue. We ended up collecting our bags and sitting landside for 4 hours for Singapore check in counters to open!! (we decided to take an earlier UA flight bc of possible inclement weather).

If the UA agent pushes back and says he/she can't check the bags through to TPE when we depart in a few weeks for TPE, should I just ask for a supervisor? Or ask him/her to call the help desk?

Additionally, just to be completely safe, does it have any impact on UA's ability to check the bags through to TPE if I do online check in on EVA's website? Or should I wait to do the online check in until after I checked in for our UA flight? If I do online check in for my EVA flight, I assume I just have to put 2 and 1 for our checked bags to match UA?

We would like to avoid having to sit landside for 3 hours waiting for the EVA check in counters to open. We are also planning on visiting the Polaris lounge for a light dinner. UA's last flight out of DFW gets us in to IAH around 6:45pm so we plan to head directly to the Polaris Lounge, unless we're forced to collect our bags again.

Thanks in advance for your help / advice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.