Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2024, 11:00 am

OK Folks. I think I know the answer to this, but I have additional options to consider that I'd like feedback on.

I need to travel from BOS to KUL in business. The best / most efficient routing on *A is to go BOS-EWR-SIN-KUL and back. BOS-EWR is on UA. EWR-SIN-KUL are on SQ.

I can find the flights on matrix.itasoftware.com by forcing the EWR SIN routing, which I believe are ticketed by SQ. Due to UA/SQ rules the BOS-EWR price is really expensive in business. (Full J Fare). So I've tried to look at other options.
  1. Option 1 (FAILED): Called UA 1K desk to see if they could price and sell as a complete round trip. Hard NO. SQ won't sell UA the flights from EWR to SIN.
  2. Option 2 (FAILED): Went to SQ.com to see if they would sell me the route. Their website is terrible and I only get options via JFK or SFO with feeders on AS or B6. Hard no. And times don't work as well anyway.
  3. Option 3 (That I'm considering): Get a travel agent to book me the flights all on one SQ ticket. This should be doable. But it will be more expensive because UA only sells SQ the BOS-EWR leg at full J fare.
  4. Option 4 (That I'm considering): Get a travel agent to book me that itinerary on a single travel agent PNR, but ticket the BOS-EWR segments on UA, and EWR-SIN-KUL on SQ. So two separate tickets, yes, but technically on the same PNR.
  5. Option 5 (That I'm considering): Just book BOS-EWR round trip in cheapest F class on UA.com and, separately EWR-SIN-KUL on Sq.com.

Option 3 is straight forward. It's expensive but I'll be able to check my bag all the way BOS-EWR-SIN-KUL as it's all one SQ ticket and all one record.

Option 5 is really the topic of this thread. Two separate itineraries and tickets. And I know this "should" be possible to check a bag in BOS all the way to KUL, knowing the agent will need to take time and do some work in the system to get the bag tag to print.

My question is really with Option 4: How will UA handle a single PNR with two tickets? I've done this on UA before on a circle pacific fare where BOS-SFO was one round trip and the SFO-Cirlce Pacific on another. All on the same record. And it worked great. I've also done it with AC where BOS-YYZ was ticketed UA (operated by AC) and YYZ-BOM was AC, also all on same record. But in those cases the operating carriers were the same.

Theoretically, if I had one record for both the BOS-EWR leg ticketed by UA and EWR-SIN-KUL was ticketed SQ would checking a bag be simpler? Or will the UA Shares vs SQ Amadeus differences cause a segment to be dropped from each and I'm no better off booking separate PNR's. (I know UA sometimes will only show one segment immediately before or after a UA segment on a multi carrier itinerary.)

Thanks!
​​​​​​​
Old Apr 26, 2024, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
It shouldn’t really matter IMO if you do option 4 or 5, you might be able to get better pricing by just keeping them completely separate and going with the lowest price rather than the place willing to put this on the same record locator with 2 tickets. BOS is very used to checking through bags and that should not be a concern.
SPN Lifer and ualboston1k like this.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 11:48 am

Programs: UA, AE
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA will generally check bags thru to a *A partner as long as it is not overnight or more than a 12 hour break. And it meets the the Minimum Connection Time at EWR.

In that process you will generally receive the higher bag allowance of the two tickets. Note this is not stated explicitly but is the practice
I am glad to hear that, because apparently AC has stopped the practice about 1 year ago.
Old Apr 28, 2024, 12:15 pm

Did this twice in the past year, (UA-LH on one trip; UA-UA on another), and both times the UA bag drop agent got an unspecified error. In both instances, it worked when she backed out of the system and proceeded through anew. It’s like the system requires a refresh in order to process.

Last edited by AirbusFan2B; Apr 28, 2024 at 12:23 pm
Old May 10, 2024, 3:10 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
Hi all, I'm flying with UA from STL to ORD arriving at 1:08pm 15th June. Next flight which is on a separate ticket departing 12:30am 16th June. Anyone has any experience getting UA to check through their luggage to EVA air? By reading the posts previously, this may be depending on the check in counter staff. Would the next day flight reduce the chance of getting the luggage checked through although it's just under 12 hours layover.
Old May 10, 2024, 5:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by supra99
Hi all, I'm flying with UA from STL to ORD arriving at 1:08pm 15th June. Next flight which is on a separate ticket departing 12:30am 16th June. Anyone has any experience getting UA to check through their luggage to EVA air? By reading the posts previously, this may be depending on the check in counter staff. Would the next day flight reduce the chance of getting the luggage checked through although it's just under 12 hours layover.
Overnight (2-5AM) or >12 hours are a no go but neither applies in your case, so by policy this should work. There is always the possibility of an under-trained agent or lazy agent.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and Global321 like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I've never had any issues with checking though to EVA from RNO to MN, with EVA through IAH. Same with OZ through LAX.

Only issues are an inexperienced agent or sometimes the computer doesn't play nice and they need to call the Help Desk for an override.
Old May 12, 2024, 12:04 pm

Programs: mileage plus
interline from 016 pnr (UA) to another 016 pnr (BR, award) 3x32kg

Im a 1k flying from S. America to TPE in business on UA metal. I would like to make use of my 3x32kg baggage allowance, on my connection.

the connecting flight is BR economy with a 2x23kg allowance.

the layover is about 4hrs, and i assume interlining wont be an issue.

However I am concerned about being stuck paying cash for the difference in weight and count.

Did not get a definitive answer from the 1k desk.

looking to the collective e perince and wisdom here for guidance.

cheers
Old May 12, 2024, 12:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dbulkeley
Im a 1k flying from S. America to TPE in business on UA metal. I would like to make use of my 3x32kg baggage allowance, on my connection.

the connecting flight is BR economy with a 2x23kg allowance.

the layover is about 4hrs, and i assume interlining wont be an issue....
Interlining should not be an issue and as a consequence of interlining there will be no additional fees.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and dbulkeley like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 11:22 pm

Programs: I have a frequent flyer account with pretty much any airline to exist. Usually use AA and OW.
This thread has been really helpful in easing my anxieties about my first D-I separate ticket connection. But with travel in less than 2 days, I have a couple of questions that I'm a bit unclear on. For context, I am flying from AUS to MAA, with AUS to SFO on a single ticket both operated and ticketed by UA in Y (award ticket), and SFO to MAA on a single ticket operated by AI and ticketed by TK in J (also award ticket).

1. If UA can interline my bags (which according to this thread is yes, given my layover in SFO is 4h15m), I can follow AI J's baggage policy? If they cannot due to a system error, then I'd be expected to pay for the total cost of the bags from AUS to SFO, right?

2. Can I pick up my boarding pass for the AI flights at the UA desk in AUS? I've checked in (AI does a 48 hour check in policy, not 24 like other airlines), but owing to a previous experience with Indian immigration, would need a printed boarding pass to avoid additional hassles.

Thank you so much for y'all's help thus far!
Old May 13, 2024, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lookatthenameyo
This thread has been really helpful in easing my anxieties about my first D-I separate ticket connection. But with travel in less than 2 days, I have a couple of questions that I'm a bit unclear on. For context, I am flying from AUS to MAA, with AUS to SFO on a single ticket both operated and ticketed by UA in Y (award ticket), and SFO to MAA on a single ticket operated by AI and ticketed by TK in J (also award ticket).

1. If UA can interline my bags (which according to this thread is yes, given my layover in SFO is 4h15m), I can follow AI J's baggage policy? If they cannot due to a system error, then I'd be expected to pay for the total cost of the bags from AUS to SFO, right?

2. Can I pick up my boarding pass for the AI flights at the UA desk in AUS? I've checked in (AI does a 48 hour check in policy, not 24 like other airlines), but owing to a previous experience with Indian immigration, would need a printed boarding pass to avoid additional hassles.

Thank you so much for y'all's help thus far!
1. If UA can interline your bags, the most likely result is that you get UA's AUS-MAA J policy, not whatever AI's would be.
2. Possibly; boarding passes are hit or miss.
SPN Lifer and lookatthenameyo like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: I have a frequent flyer account with pretty much any airline to exist. Usually use AA and OW.
Update - MIGHT need to pay for bags

I checked in at the airport with my bags. The agent was experienced and took care of it easily. I even saw the computer screen (oops!) and it looked like a fairly simple process, even for UA-UA (key word, looked). However, the agent said I would have to pay for the bags. At this point, I asked them to contact the help desk, and she said they couldn’t do anything about it, because it was a system issue. I asked for a receipt, and apparently the system refresh was delayed because the receipt showed a 0 amount.

However, they couldn’t generate the boarding pass for the other flights… not a huge deal.

Hope my experience eases some worries for everyone.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 18, 2024, 3:27 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles Korean Air Skypass Philippine Airlines Mabuhay Miles
Parents Star Alliance interline EWR-MNL via LAX/NRT

UA does interline nicely with Star Alliance partners for my parents it was this NH820 to NH6 and then EWR UA2055 origin MNL destination EWR via LAX and NRT. Their inbound trip was originally UA2321 to NH105/869 EWR-LAX-HND-MNL and then replaced by UA2321 BR5 to BR261 the final version was UA2321 delayed by 4hr to NH5 and then NH819 to MNL T3. The tag will have a rerouted sticker attached to it over the original routing. A Different result had my parents dropped NH5 to NH819 in LAX since UA system might not detect them canceling NH5 to 819 if they chose PR113 from a delayed UA2321 on April 28th

Last edited by allianceflyer9506; May 18, 2024 at 3:30 pm Reason: delay of UA2321
Old May 19, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: Turkish Miles&Smiles
Declined interlining with *A at EWR

Visited EWR terminal C yesterday. Agent at the self-checkin area directed us to the travel assistance counter at the end of the hall. Asked the agent at the travel assistance counter if we could check through bags to Air China via CDG, said they did that before but now it's only available for 1K members.

Got separate tickets EWR-CDG on UA57 non-basic Economy and CDG-PEK on CA876. Connection time is ~5 hours so that shouldn't be the problem. She didn't even ask the flight number though.

Last edited by twistsoffate; May 19, 2024 at 10:31 am Reason: add flight numbers
Old May 19, 2024, 12:06 pm

Programs: mileage plus
Originally Posted by twistsoffate
only available for 1K members.
That's disturbing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.