Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passengers baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Nov 30, 2023, 5:48 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Scynerate
Hi,

I have a trip upcoming this April 12-13. I'm arriving at LAX the "day before" my long-haul flight. I'll have a short overnight at an LAX airport hotel. I'm looking to not have to deal with my checked bag so I can get through security before the SQ check-in desk opens on April 13 and have more time to enjoy the Polaris lounge. That interests me more than twiddling my thumbs in an airport hotel.

Coming in to LAX on UA1710 from ORD. Published arrival time is 23:58 on 4/12. Ticket issued by United is YN economy award fare.

Leaving "next day" (by 2 minutes) on SQ11. Published departure time is 14:20 on 4/13, about 14.5 hours after arrival at LAX. Ticket issued by Singapore is Business Advantage booked with KrisFlyer miles.

I have UA Silver status.

Is it possible for United to interline my checked bag? Should I check in to either flight before I talk to a United agent at the initial check-in desk?

Thank you!
With UA's ever-random inconsistencies you never know what will actually happen, but UA's policy is to not accept checked-in bags for a >12 hour or an overnight layover. Good luck.
SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
I'm traveling
EWR-(UA)-SFO on paid ticket (just me) connecting to
SFO-(UA)-AKL (with miles, two people on the PNR) connecting to
AKL-(NZ)-WLG bought from NZ with $ (seat+bag so I'm entitled to normal *G baggage benefits).

I'm traveling with a bike packed in a bike case, and I know that it's in compliance with UA (flown it with them many times as a regular checked bag) and NZ (but would UA know that?)

Wondering how long I might need to allocate in EWR before departure to get them to tag my bike (plus another bag) all the way to WLG. I know I will still need to claim the bags in AKL where I clear immigration and customs, but I'd rather just drop them off at the transfer desk and not have to lug them to the domestic terminal to check them in all over again.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wpcoe
With UA's ever-random inconsistencies you never know what will actually happen, but UA's policy is to not accept checked-in bags for a >12 hour or an overnight layover. Good luck.
Thank you for the reply. I'll expect to have to grab my bags, but cross my fingers and hope they let me do it.
wpcoe likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, Scynerate!

Originally Posted by Scynerate
Published arrival time is 23:58 on 4/12.

Leaving "next day" (by 2 minutes) on SQ11. Published departure time is 14:20 on 4/13
The day doesn't matter, only the wall clock time between the arrival and the departure (14:20).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 7:54 pm

Programs: LifeMiles
Planning to book a flight with 3 separate tickets (all J)
CVG - ORD on UA (UA rev).
ORD - NRT on NH (VS award).
NRT - HAN on NH (LM award).
All connecting times are under 5 hours. Will I will be able to through check my bags from CVG all the way to HAN ?
Notes: non-US person. Will require a visa only if need to leave the airport. ANA Twitter ensure that I don't need a Japanese visa for NRT transit.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by binbinhihi
Planning to book a flight with 3 separate tickets (all J)
CVG - ORD on UA (UA rev).
ORD - NRT on NH (VS award).
NRT - HAN on NH (LM award).
All connecting times are under 5 hours. Will I will be able to through check my bags from CVG all the way to HAN ?
Notes: non-US person. Will require a visa only if need to leave the airport. ANA Twitter ensure that I don't need a Japanese visa for NRT transit.
To be honest, I'd suggest that you ask UA to only check CVG ORD, and then let ANA handle the through check of the luggage. That may of course need a bit more time in ORD, and I don't know if that is possible, but if it is, I'd do it that way.
trooper and cheltzel like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 8:16 pm

Programs: LifeMiles
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
To be honest, I'd suggest that you ask UA to only check CVG ORD, and then let ANA handle the through check of the luggage. That may of course need a bit more time in ORD, and I don't know if that is possible, but if it is, I'd do it that way.
This is what I'm planning to do. Planned arrival time at ORD is 7:44. Planned departure time is 11:30. Will that be enough ?
Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
binbinhihi,

I would tend to agree with CPH-Flyer's advise to have UA only check to ORD unless the ANA desks aren't open yet. Given the last couple of times I connected through ORD it was around an hour even with GE to get out of Customs so you shouldn't have too long of a wait.
Japan doesn't usually do much more than a behind the scenes security check of transit bags so you'll be good to go there unless you get paged for some reason.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by binbinhihi
This is what I'm planning to do. Planned arrival time at ORD is 7:44. Planned departure time is 11:30. Will that be enough ?
The ANA counters will open 3 hours before departure, so 8:30. I don't know how delay prone United is on that route, but generally should probably be fine, it is a domestic arrival and even UA can't bungle luggage delivery that much?
Old Dec 6, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The ANA counters will open 3 hours before departure, so 8:30. I don't know how delay prone United is on that route, but generally should probably be fine, it is a domestic arrival and even UA can't bungle luggage delivery that much?
The OP will probably arrive at T1 the early morning flight from CVG is currently a UA mainline flight. If the OP rechecks luggage at ORD, they will have to claim their luggage at the T1 baggage claim and go upstairs as NH departs from T1 and their check in counter is shared with LH at T1. It is all the way to the north in the land side departures lobby at T1. The worst possible case would be the OP's flight arriving at T2 and the OP would have to go to the T1 baggage claim from a T2 arrival gate.

In any event as long as the arrival from CVG is anywhere close to being on time, the NH check in counter should be open (or about to open) by the time the OP gets to baggage claim, goes upstairs and gets to the north end of the departure lobby.

I haven't taken a NH flight from ORD since a couple of years prior to the pandemic. My recollection in the NH departure gate is C10. But that was several years ago. Hopefully they still depart from the C concourse as the OP can spend a pleasant hour or two at the Polaris Lounge.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA platinum , Hyatt Explorist, Marriott platinum , SPG Gold , Hilton Diamond
United and Etihad two separate ticket

Hi

I have two separate ticket - IAD to Geneva - UA - award in J arriving at 735 am and then I have separate ticket from Geneva to Abu Dhabi and to del in single ticket ( using aa miles ) at 945 am in F : do you think agent at iad can do bag tags all the way to del . Is 2 hour enough in Geneva if I have to take the bags and recheck . I have both 2 hours at Geneva airport ( I have never been there and dont require visa - us citizen )

advice please

thanks
Old Dec 11, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shekhar
I have two separate ticket - IAD to Geneva - UA - award in J arriving at 735 am and then I have separate ticket from Geneva to Abu Dhabi and to del in single ticket ( using aa miles ) at 945 am in F : do you think agent at iad can do bag tags all the way to del . Is 2 hour enough in Geneva if I have to take the bags and recheck . I have both 2 hours at Geneva airport ( I have never been there and dont require visa - us citizen )
Policy would be for them not to interline the bags to EK. They are perfectly capable of doing so; they choose not to.

Sorry, misread the airline. Later poster is correct -- since it's EY, not EK, this is simply not possible.

2 hours is a lot less time than I would allocate for this. If there is a delay on the UA flight, you'll be in a world of hurt.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by jsloan; Dec 13, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Old Dec 11, 2023, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi

advice please

thanks
Etihad check-in at Geneva airport closes 60 minutes before departure, giving you only scheduled 60 minutes for immigration for non EU passport, baggage claim and moving to the check-in counter. It could probably work if everything lines up well. Any small delay in any step could leave you stranded in GVA and need to buy a new EK ticket.
jsloan, Xyzzy and Global321 like this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Dec 13, 2023 at 4:59 pm
Old Dec 13, 2023, 4:15 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Hi

advice please

thanks
UA does not have an interline agreement with EY. It is not possible to through-check your bag.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 3:32 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I am flying EWR-LHR on a UA cash ticket and then LHR-IST-BOM on a TK award ticket. Will UA check my bag all the way through from EWR-BOM since they are both Star Alliance, or will I have to collect it in LHR and then re-check it with TK?
My SO arrived at EWR earlier for EWR-LHR and requested they check her bags through to BOM since she is on TK for LHR-IST-BOM. I coached her as per all the advice here and she had her TK ticket number at the ready but no joy.

She is flying in J and the check-in agent said it was not possible so she asked for a supervisor like I told her but when the supervisor came they told her that because her IST-BOM TK flight was taking off more than 12 hours from the time she was checking in, the system simply would not allow it.

They would only check the bag as far as IST at which point she called me. Much back and forth ensued but they would not budge. Eventually had to demand that they undo the check-in and check the bags only as far as LHR since she was getting out there anyway during her 4-hour layover to meet a friend landside and she didn't want to have to deal with it in IST where she only had a 2-hour layover and wanted to enjoy the TK lounge.

So not the worst thing in the world...but...I am flying the identical itin next Friday evening and I really want to just hit the UA lounge at LHR and not have to deal with re-checking my bag. Any idea what magic chant I need to invoke at UA check-in to make this happen without making a major scene that's going to end with me being the star of a travel blogger's post?
Xyzzy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.