Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passengers baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.


Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old May 19, 2024, 12:18 pm
  #496  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,183
Originally Posted by twistsoffate
Visited EWR terminal C yesterday. Agent at the self-checkin area directed us to the travel assistance counter at the end of the hall. Asked the agent at the travel assistance counter if we could check through bags to Air China via CDG, said they did that before but now it's only available for 1K members.

Got separate tickets EWR-CDG on UA57 non-basic Economy and CDG-PEK on CA876. Connection time is ~5 hours so that shouldn't be the problem. She didn't even ask the flight number though.
Id chalk it up to bad attitude. I have no tolerance for such laziness. I always plan extra time for the ticket counter. Successfully interlined on separate tix in the past two years: UA->LH at ORD, and UA->UA at IND.
AirbusFan2B is offline  
Old May 19, 2024, 1:21 pm
  #497  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 67,281
Originally Posted by twistsoffate
Visited EWR terminal C yesterday. Agent at the self-checkin area directed us to the travel assistance counter at the end of the hall. Asked the agent at the travel assistance counter if we could check through bags to Air China via CDG, said they did that before but now it's only available for 1K members. ....
That you might expect if requesting an non-*A interline but flat wrong for *A interline.
SPN Lifer and AirbusFan2B like this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 20, 2024, 2:17 pm
  #498  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Francisco & London
Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Posts: 1,802
UA Domestic to SQ Flight - Checking bags all the way through

I have made a reservation for a reward flight on SQ from IAH to MAN, I am unable to get the domestic leg on United (no saver availability) - if I am unable to do so I may have to book the SFO - IAH leg separately, is it possible to check my bags all the way to MAN even though they are separate tickets with Star Alliance?
navatwal is offline  
Old May 20, 2024, 2:24 pm
  #499  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 67,281
Originally Posted by navatwal
I have made a reservation for a reward flight on SQ from IAH to MAN, I am unable to get the domestic leg on United (no saver availability) - if I am unable to do so I may have to book the SFO - IAH leg separately, is it possible to check my bags all the way to MAN even though they are separate tickets with Star Alliance?
If already booked IAH-MAN, we will not be able to add on the same ticket/PNR SFO-IAH

However, it is very standard to interline bags across separate UA-*A ticket if not overnight, not over 12 hours or not Basic Economy
Global321 likes this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 20, 2024, 5:33 pm
  #500  
 
Join Date: May 2024
Location: New York City
Programs: Turkish Miles&Smiles
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That you might expect if requesting an non-*A interline but flat wrong for *A interline.
Is there any recommended way to deal with this kind of issues if it happens again?
twistsoffate is offline  
Old May 20, 2024, 6:20 pm
  #501  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 67,281
Originally Posted by twistsoffate
Is there any recommended way to deal with this kind of issues if it happens again?
reference the website for connecting flights -- although it has been simplifies and least clear
Ask for a supervisor?? Try a different checkin area? Go to special services if separate?
In essentence, get a different person.
twistsoffate likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 20, 2024 at 6:26 pm Reason: link
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 9:54 pm
  #502  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,981
Is any issue interlining with ORD being the first port of entry to the US? I'm pretty unfamiliar with ORD, only having been to the airport a couple times.

Flying NH F back from NRT then UA on to LAX, NH will check bags through to LAX no problem, but having to move between T5 and T1 at ORD not sure if that presents an issue or if there's a recheck I can use at T5.

If not can I recheck in T1 without having to pay for luggage? Will be the decision if I choose Y/PE (1 bag) or F (2 bags) for the ORD-LAX leg.
seigex is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 10:37 pm
  #503  
Moderator: United Airlines
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Posts: 67,281
Originally Posted by seigex
Is any issue interlining with ORD being the first port of entry to the US? I'm pretty unfamiliar with ORD, only having been to the airport a couple times.

Flying NH F back from NRT then UA on to LAX, NH will check bags through to LAX no problem, but having to move between T5 and T1 at ORD not sure if that presents an issue or if there's a recheck I can use at T5.

If not can I recheck in T1 without having to pay for luggage? Will be the decision if I choose Y/PE (1 bag) or F (2 bags) for the ORD-LAX leg.
If NH checks thru to LAX, then after clearing customs in T5, you will recheck with UA at T5 and there will be no check bag fee.

UA does not offer PremPlus/PremEcon between ORD-LAX
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old May 22, 2024, 10:38 pm
  #504  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Posts: 1,981
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If NH checks thru to LAX, then after clearing customs in T5, you will recheck with UA at T5 and there will be no check bag fee.
perfect, thanks WineCountryUA
seigex is offline  
Old May 31, 2024, 2:34 pm
  #505  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 144
Originally Posted by stravelslots
Curious to know this too. If no one knows yet, I will report back next when. I am departing IAH on a UA ticket and then taking the SK IAD to CPH flight on a separate ticket.
We did LAX-LHR-CPH without a problem.
Shaetan is offline  
Old May 31, 2024, 5:15 pm
  #506  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 345
Originally Posted by Shaetan
We did LAX-LHR-CPH without a problem.
I did LAX to HKG on United and HKG to KHH on Cathy Pacific. Little extra work for the Sky Cap. I had to show the baggage claim check to the agent for Cathy Pacific before being issued a boarding pass.
breakthrough37 is offline  
Old Jun 12, 2024, 11:58 pm
  #507  
 
Join Date: Mar 2024
Location: Christchurch New Zealand
Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
Posts: 17
Paying for UA baggage or not?

Hi,
I've bought 2 separate tickets. First with US from STL to ORD on economy class, no paid baggage. Next flight on a separate ticket from ORD to SIN via TPE in premium economy.
My question is, should I prepurchase the baggage for UA domestic flight assuming UA would allow interlining the baggage to *A Eva air? Or would I get "free" domestic baggage allowance due to international interlining? IT doesn't make sense that I don't need to pay for baggage on my first leg as UA would be "losing money" for such practice? Help?
supra99 is offline  
Old Jun 13, 2024, 12:41 am
  #508  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 21,779
Originally Posted by supra99
Hi,
I've bought 2 separate tickets. First with US from STL to ORD on economy class, no paid baggage. Next flight on a separate ticket from ORD to SIN via TPE in premium economy.
My question is, should I prepurchase the baggage for UA domestic flight assuming UA would allow interlining the baggage to *A Eva air? Or would I get "free" domestic baggage allowance due to international interlining? IT doesn't make sense that I don't need to pay for baggage on my first leg as UA would be "losing money" for such practice? Help?
Assuming your layover at ORD is less than 12 hours and not overnight, I would not prepay for baggage. If youre able to check the bags through to EVA, which should be possible, SOP would be for UA to grant you its PE allowance for STL-SIN, because thats what the computer sees at the point at which the bag tags are printed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
jsloan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.