Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passengers baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Jul 19, 2023, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by t325
Flying STL-ORD economy on a paid UA ticket. Connecting onto ORD-HND in business on an ANA award booked through Virgin. The layover is around 8 or so hours.

In STL, will they be able to check my bag through to HND? It would solve the problem of ANA check-in counters not opening until 3 hours before the flight and I can kill time in the Polaris lounge instead of by the check in counter.
If you can, print out the ANA PNR from a Star Alliance airline website and highlight the ticket number there. That way less chance of them saying that Virgin is not part of Star Alliance and so cant do this.

Unless STL makes an issue about the VS ticket number, they should be able to thru-check the luggage onto the ANA flight too.

If for whatever reason they make an issue about this at STL check-in, you can try the Hilton ORD hotel bell desk which has been holding my luggage intra-day for a fee without issue over the years . So you could consider storing it there if you dont want to take the risk of it being left idle on the baggage claim belt at ORD and stored away by the baggage claim office at ORD and having that be a problem.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you can, print out the ANA PNR from a Star Alliance airline website and highlight the ticket number there. That way less chance of them saying that Virgin is not part of Star Alliance and so cant do this.

Unless STL makes an issue about the VS ticket number, they should be able to thru-check the luggage onto the ANA flight too.

If for whatever reason they make an issue about this at STL check-in, you can try the Hilton ORD hotel bell desk which has been holding my luggage intra-day for a fee without issue over the years . So you could consider storing it there if you dont want to take the risk of it being left idle on the baggage claim belt at ORD and stored away by the baggage claim office at ORD and having that be a problem.
Thank you. My other concern is if, for whatever reason I can't get a boarding pass online for the ANA flight and I have to go landside, I'm stuck there until the ANA check-in counter opens 3 hours before the flight.

I know ANA has the NRT flight that leaves in the morning, if I could check my bags and get my BP for the HND flight during NRT check in, then problem solved. Not sure if I can.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 10:43 am
Suspended

Thank you. My other concern is if, for whatever reason I can't get a boarding pass online for the ANA flight and I have to go landside, I'm stuck there until the ANA check-in counter opens 3 hours before the flight.

I know ANA has the NRT flight that leaves in the morning, if I could check my bags and get my BP for the HND flight during NRT check in, then problem solved. Not sure if I can.
I know that some of the other foreign airlines at ORD T5 check-in bags for the later flight on the same airline even though they opened for the earlier flight on the airline and not necessarily for the later flight to the same or different destination on a given airline/airline group. ANA may be the same way in being open to doing it since they are likely using the same ground services company for both flights, but I haven’t had it done with ANA at ORD.

The bigger ORD area hotels have free shuttle buses to the hotels from the shuttle bus center near the Hilton at the airport itself.. Hanging out in those off-airport hotels’ lobbies is something I have done at times when I’ve been waiting for airport check-in to open. So what I do at times is drop in to the Hilton lobby, pay the bell desk to have my bags stored and then head over to the shuttle bus center to catch a hotel shuttle bus to whichever hotel is of interest for me to hang out or use as a stepping stone to go elsewhere.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I know that some of the other foreign airlines at ORD T5 check-in bags for the later flight on the same airline even though they opened for the earlier flight on the airline and not necessarily for the later flight to the same or different destination on a given airline/airline group. ANA may be the same way in being open to doing it since they are likely using the same ground services company for both flights, but I havent had it done with ANA at ORD.

The bigger ORD area hotels have free shuttle buses to the hotels from the shuttle bus center near the Hilton at the airport itself.. Hanging out in those off-airport hotels lobbies is something I have done at times when Ive been waiting for airport check-in to open. So what I do at times is drop in to the Hilton lobby, pay the bell desk to have my bags stored and then head over to the shuttle bus center to catch a hotel shuttle bus to whichever hotel is of interest for me to hang out or use as a stepping stone to go elsewhere.
ANA normally only checks in for the flight that is open.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
ANA normally only checks in for the flight that is open.
But is that the case at the airport at ORD for ANA’s same-day departures from there?
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G, LTG), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
But is that the case at the airport at ORD for ANAs same-day departures from there?
That's the general case for ANA outstations.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That's the general case for ANA outstations.
So, if I can't get a BP online for whatever reason, then I'm pretty much stuck. Even if my bag is checked through and I stay airside, I couldn't even get into the Polaris lounge without the ANA BP.

If the bag does get checked all the way through, do I need to worry about it disappearing at ORD any more than I normally would with a 2 hour layover on a same ticket itinerary? An 8 hour layover with ANA only accepting bags at 3 hours before departure makes me a bit nervous, but I guess the baggage handling system at ORD stores them until the next airline is ready for bags?
Old Jul 21, 2023, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
UA is usually pretty good with checking through to ANA. I've had RNO, SMF, and SJC do it connecting through SFO and LAX with no more issue than occasionally needing a little extra time for the agent to get an override from the Help Desk. A lot of times at RNO lately they've ended up tacking the connection to my UA PNR for the baggage tag and then the system generates a boarding pass for the connection anyway.
GUWonder and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 21, 2023, 4:23 pm
Suspended

So, if I can't get a BP online for whatever reason, then I'm pretty much stuck. Even if my bag is checked through and I stay airside, I couldn't even get into the Polaris lounge without the ANA BP.

If the bag does get checked all the way through, do I need to worry about it disappearing at ORD any more than I normally would with a 2 hour layover on a same ticket itinerary? An 8 hour layover with ANA only accepting bags at 3 hours before departure makes me a bit nervous, but I guess the baggage handling system at ORD stores them until the next airline is ready for bags?
For thru-checked luggage at ORD coming in on UA and going out abroad on separate tickets with the flights operated by other Star Alliance airlines beside UA, I have had no more baggage irregularities with already thru-checked luggage on c. 5-10 hour “self-connections” than on same-ticket connections of c. 2-4 hours with thru-checked luggage. In the case of checked in luggage across separately ticketed bookings for UA+other Star Alliance carrier, I do try at times to get the onward carriers’ gate or check-in agents at ORD to verify that the bag tags are in their system — that may help with reliability.

ANA outstations in Asia or some parts of Europe may not work the same way as all ANA outstations. I’ll try to get someone to try this with ANA next week at ORD if it’s convenient enough to stop by at 10am and see what happens since they will already be open and processing at least NRT passengers.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:13 pm

Can I interline these tix? A3 JTR-ATH then onto LH ATH-EWR via UA/LH

The Athens to EWR is one ticket but I bought the A3 ticket later. FWIW I am 1k

thx
Old Jul 24, 2023, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkallet
The Athens to EWR is one ticket but I bought the A3 ticket later. FWIW I am 1k

thx
You'll need to ask A3. UA has nothing to do with it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: British Airways Ruby, United Member, Marriot Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ScottSchultz
I think this topic has come up before but I haven't seen any updates for quite some time. My wife, daughter and I are scheduled to fly UA ICT->ORD on one UA PNR. Then we are connecting to LH ORD->MUC->MAN on a separate LifeMiles award PNR. I don't think it matters, but just for more information, we are business class on all 3 segments. My question has probably come up before in the past, but can the agent at ICT (Wichita) check our bags all the way through to our final destination MAN (Manchester, UK) if they are on separate PNRs? Mind you, ICT isn't exactly a mainline hub for UA and likely just has contract workers at the check in desk. Is is possible? If so, can I get some feedback from people here on how to walk the agent through how to do it? I've read the contract of carriage and it SEEMS possible, but the verbiage isn't clear to me. Then I've read other blogs that say no dice. Any help/advice you can give would be appreciated. Thank you.
So update to this, the woman at the check in desk in Wichita was unable to check our bag through to our final destination. I gave her the information and she said it kept coming up with an error message. She refused to call the help desk because she said they wouldnt help her. I didnt want to push the issue further and ask for a supervisor. She said something about a 4 hour rule, which is why it gave the error message because our layover was 6 hours between flights. Ive never heard of that rule before, anyone else? Long story short, we hung out in the ORD baggage claim for almost 2 hours until the Lufthansa check in desk opened.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

She said something about a 4 hour rule, which is why it gave the error message because our layover was 6 hours between flights. Ive never heard of that rule before, anyone else?
Four hours is the maximum amount of time for a transfer on a through fare on a domestic itinerary -- anything longer than that is a stopover. For an international itinerary, the maximum is 24 hours instead. In other words, the agent had no idea what she was talking about and made up an explanation to suit the circumstances. Sorry.
SPN Lifer and Global321 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 9:16 am

So update to this, the woman at the check in desk in Wichita was unable to check our bag through to our final destination. I gave her the information and she said it kept coming up with an error message. She refused to call the help desk because she said they wouldnt help her. I didnt want to push the issue further and ask for a supervisor. She said something about a 4 hour rule, which is why it gave the error message because our layover was 6 hours between flights. Ive never heard of that rule before, anyone else? Long story short, we hung out in the ORD baggage claim for almost 2 hours until the Lufthansa check in desk opened.
Sorry to hear about this. As jsloan stated, agent was wrong. I did this very thing late last year... PBI-EWR, UA ticket, EWR-Europe on LM milage ticket. 7 hours between flights. Took a little while, but they got it done.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 12:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
She said something about a 4 hour rule, which is why it gave the error message because our layover was 6 hours between flights. I’ve never heard of that rule before, anyone else?
Four hours is the maximum amount of time for a transfer on a through fare on a domestic itinerary -- anything longer than that is a stopover. For an international itinerary, the maximum is 24 hours instead. In other words, the agent had no idea what she was talking about and made up an explanation to suit the circumstances. Sorry.
Perhaps the four hour limit on checking bags prior departure -- again not applicable

If the agent has never done this before, there is little chance of doing it without more experience help.

Interesting comment about help desk not wanting to help -- something else is going on here as have never heard that excuse reported.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.