Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passengers baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Old Jul 5, 2023, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Can someone confirm what is the easiest thing to bring when trying to interline on separate tickets?

I'm flying UA1 to SIN, then flying out about 14 hours after landing on a separate, SQ ticket. My understanding is for SIN, checking the bag through, even over 12 hours, should be doable.
SIN allows it, but UA may not.

What is the best thing to show for the new flight? Printout of SQ ticket (or is showing them a soft copy on my phone ok)? Is just giving them the SQ PNR, or eTicket number sufficient?
Bring a printout of your SQ itinerary with ticket number, preferably showing the fare classes. The SQ record locator by itself isnt going to help.

And is it easier or harder if I am, a) checked into the UA flight, and/or b) checked into the SQ flight. For UA flight, I'm not that concerned about checking in in advance - I'd like to get an E+ seat if available, for free as a silver at T-24, but I believe I can start the process, select a seat, and than not finalize the checkin and that should hold. However, my SQ flight allows checkin at T-48, which is still well before I'll be at the airport with my bag for UA. Because I'm on a 'value' SQ fare, I don't have a seat yet, and so would like to check in at T-48 so I can get a decent seat, without having to shell out extra. Just wondering if this will cause an issue if UA trying to tag the bag through (or maybe it'll help?).
For your SQ flight, it shouldnt really matter but youre going to want to make sure to check in with SQ at SIN to see that the baggage made it into their system. For the UA flight, its easiest if youre not checked in, as the agent will have to un-check you in so that the new itinerary can be built. So, yeah, stalling out of the check-in process may save you a minute or two at the counter at your origin.
SPN Lifer and emcampbe like this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExP
Any recommendations on the steps to take to have luggaged checked through (if possible even) to final destination as the the travelers are my elderly in-laws. We will be dropping them off at CLT and helping them check-in for the 1st flight. Thanks!

Itin 1: UA ticket in domestic 1st class (purchased). CLT --> EWR (~6:30pm --> 8:30pm).
UA Flight Arrives at Terminal A

Layover at EWR for ~ 3hr 40mins
Next Flight departs from Terminal B

Itin 2: AC ticket for TK operated flight in BIZ (award booking). EWR --> IST (+1 ~12:10am --> 5:05pm).
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rajsh
Any recommendations on the steps to take to have luggaged checked through (if possible even) to final destination as the the travelers are my elderly in-laws. We will be dropping them off at CLT and helping them check-in for the 1st flight. Thanks!

Itin 1: UA ticket in domestic 1st class (purchased). CLT --> EWR (~6:30pm --> 8:30pm).

Itin 2: AC ticket for TK operated flight in BIZ (award booking). EWR --> IST (+1 ~12:10am --> 5:05pm).
They have a connecting flight out of Newark, and I was hoping we could check the bags through. Heres a printout of the itinerary including the ticket number.

Arrive 20-30 minutes earlier than you normally would.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
And make sure you have the AC/TK reservation information readily available for the UA agent at CLT check-in counter.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Better be 'on call', not because of the luggage check-through, but 2 separate tickets involving elderly in-laws and EWR? That's a risk I sure wouldn't take!
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I just did this at SFO. Id second extra time. This took ~40 minutes - maybe a bit more. This was SFO-SIN, and a separate ticket SIN-BLR on SQ. Ironically, despite this showing up as a single ticket via UA, I couldnt get the purchase to go through after several attempts.

So, basically, the issue I thought Id have - a >12 hour time between flights - wasnt a problem. Agent was apparently having issues getting it to validate the SQ fare class - he said it kept coming up as invalid class.

eventually, a supervisor was able to help, and get it sorted. Im not sure what exactly he did. When I asked at the end, and what to do if this happened again in the future, he said just ask for Ed, which was his name. PITA the amount of time it took, but the staff were great - they were working it (with a sense of humor to boot) - even the original agent was making their best effort to solve it, and no one tried to shirk responsibility or convince me that it couldnt be done or that they didnt want to make the effort. I showed up early because I knew of the potential for it to take a while.

I didnt try it, but one tip I was given is not to checkin for the United segment. Apparently, in order to check the bags through, one needs to be checked out anyway, so no need to do that in advance.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: British Airways Ruby, United Member, Marriot Platinum + LT Gold
UA Outstation to ORD to LH on Separate PNRs Bag Check

I think this topic has come up before but I haven't seen any updates for quite some time. My wife, daughter and I are scheduled to fly UA ICT->ORD on one UA PNR. Then we are connecting to LH ORD->MUC->MAN on a separate LifeMiles award PNR. I don't think it matters, but just for more information, we are business class on all 3 segments. My question has probably come up before in the past, but can the agent at ICT (Wichita) check our bags all the way through to our final destination MAN (Manchester, UK) if they are on separate PNRs? Mind you, ICT isn't exactly a mainline hub for UA and likely just has contract workers at the check in desk. Is is possible? If so, can I get some feedback from people here on how to walk the agent through how to do it? I've read the contract of carriage and it SEEMS possible, but the verbiage isn't clear to me. Then I've read other blogs that say no dice. Any help/advice you can give would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 10:36 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ScottSchultz
I think this topic has come up before but I haven't seen any updates for quite some time. My wife, daughter and I are scheduled to fly UA ICT->ORD on one UA PNR. Then we are connecting to LH ORD->MUC->MAN on a separate LifeMiles award PNR. I don't think it matters, but just for more information, we are business class on all 3 segments. My question has probably come up before in the past, but can the agent at ICT (Wichita) check our bags all the way through to our final destination MAN (Manchester, UK) if they are on separate PNRs? Mind you, ICT isn't exactly a mainline hub for UA and likely just has contract workers at the check in desk. Is is possible? If so, can I get some feedback from people here on how to walk the agent through how to do it? I've read the contract of carriage and it SEEMS possible, but the verbiage isn't clear to me. Then I've read other blogs that say no dice. Any help/advice you can give would be appreciated. Thank you.
Yes, they can. You may want to allow an extra 20 minutes for them to call the help desk. By the way, checking through on Star Alliance flights is a policy for all star airlines.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 10:38 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have had UA outstations in the rural Midwest and elsewhere do this kind of thing for me without problems over many years when flying from UA outstations in the US to Europe, Asia and elsewhere. It’s one of the best things about UA and Star Alliance.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 10:50 am

Great news! Thank you both for the confirmation. This will save us from having to stay at the airport and wait 3 hours for the LH check-in desk to open to check our bags.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Is it possible? Absolutely. Is it a given every agent, particularly at an outstation will know how to do this? For sure not. As mentioned, give yourself some extra time. I don't think three's many on here that can explain the process to do it, but if the agent helping you can't do it, ask if they can get their supervisor to. As mentioned, for *A carriers, it is policy to be able to check them (and while it can theoretically be done for non *A carriers that have an interline agreement with UA as well, policy is not to do this on separate tickets).

Originally Posted by uanj
Yes, they can. You may want to allow an extra 20 minutes for them to call the help desk. By the way, checking through on Star Alliance flights is a policy for all star airlines.
Or perhaps longer than 20 minutes. I just had this done for me at SFO, for UA to SQ on separate tickets, and it took 40 minutes, maybe 45 (didn't time exactly). To be fair, somehow I had a bigger issue where the agent, and initially a sup, was having the computer tell them that my SQ flight was an 'invalid class' (whatever that means). Eventually, the sup was able to get it through, though I'm not sure why it kept coming back as an invalid class, or how the sup solved it. When I asked what to do if this happened next time, supervisor tole me to 'ask for Ed' - him obviously, I'm grateful to the check-in staff for the effort they put into it (and with a sense of humor to boot), but I can suggest that there are many other agents that might have just given up at some point without bothering to keep trying. So I for one am really appreciative that they were able to get it done.

Also a note for the OP - make sure, once you land in ORD, to find an LH agent to make sure they properly had the bags transferred to them. Just let them know the bag was transferred from a UA flight on a separate itinerary, and have the bag tag ready so they can make sure they have record of the bag in their system.
LAX UA 1K and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 1:15 pm

Also a note for the OP - make sure, once you land in ORD, to find an LH agent to make sure they properly had the bags transferred to them. Just let them know the bag was transferred from a UA flight on a separate itinerary, and have the bag tag ready so they can make sure they have record of the bag in their system.
Thanks for the advise. Will definitely remember that.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
make sure, once you land in ORD, to find an LH agent to make sure they properly had the bags transferred to them.
If you have the LH app, it will show up there. And if you supply your email address at checkin, they will even email you the information.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 3:27 pm

Flying STL-ORD economy on a paid UA ticket. Connecting onto ORD-HND in business on an ANA award booked through Virgin. The layover is around 8 or so hours.

In STL, will they be able to check my bag through to HND? It would solve the problem of ANA check-in counters not opening until 3 hours before the flight and I can kill time in the Polaris lounge instead of by the check in counter.
Old Jul 19, 2023, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by t325
Flying STL-ORD economy on a paid UA ticket. Connecting onto ORD-HND in business on an ANA award booked through Virgin. The layover is around 8 or so hours.

In STL, will they be able to check my bag through to HND? It would solve the problem of ANA check-in counters not opening until 3 hours before the flight and I can kill time in the Polaris lounge instead of by the check in counter.
Regardless of how you purchased the ticket, UA should be able to tag the bag through to ANA. I check-in a little earlier in STL so the agents can add the flight information manually. Sometimes it will require more assistance.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by ual744777sta; Jul 19, 2023 at 3:55 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.