Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to find the fare class / mapping for codeshare mileage earning before purchasing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In *A, mileage earning is based on the rules for the operating carrier
There are three key pieces of info needed
1. The operating carrier of the flight segment (how marketed / codeshare do not matter)
2. The fare class of the operating carrier. This can be a problem if purchased as codeshare because the codeshare's fare class is not relevant.
3. Program you are crediting

If crediting to United MileagePlus, see the partner earning tables to determine earnings (both RDMs and PQMs)
Print Wikipost

How to find the fare class / mapping for codeshare mileage earning before purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Now, if you were a travel agent, and you had the two choices shown above, which flight number would you pick?

The AC number with the AC B fare?

Or the UA number with the UA M fare?

Gotta go with "B", right? It's higher, it must be better, surely it earns more miles?
No, never, I'd book the operating carrier instead of a codeshare regardless of booking class.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
sbm12 awhile ago on his blog had *A mapping codes.

Also - does AC have "B" as a high fare class?
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
EF has a tool for codeshare fare class mapping.

A significant part of this is due the different fare structures of different airlines. It is a big mistake to use your understanding of one airlines fare structure to interpret another airline's structure. Someone familiar with UA's F fare class will be sorely disappointed with AC's F (the lowest of the low economy fare). or A fares.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mduell
No, never, I'd book the operating carrier instead of a codeshare regardless of booking class.
Ya, well, this wasn't me — it was a friend using an OTA who made the codeshare choice for him. I don't book codeshares.

Originally Posted by aacharya
sbm12 awhile ago on his blog had *A mapping codes.
I checked Seth's list at http://wandr.me/tools/staralliance_c...e_mapping.aspx ; he doesn't mention that AC B => UA U, but he also says that mappings he has are based on user reports only.

Originally Posted by aacharya
Also - does AC have "B" as a high fare class?
Yup, they do. For AC, "Y" and "B" are the full Latitude fares, see at e.g. http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...milesChart.pdf .

Inventory on AC3530 + AC5437 YYZ-ORD-SFO is
Code:
Y4 B4 M4 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 A0
J0 C0 D0 Z0 P0 Y4 B4 M4 U4 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 A0
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
EF has a tool for codeshare fare class mapping.
Hmm, what is that ExpertFlyer tool called?

I see that it has a "reference => class codes" section which tells me that on AC, B fare = "ECONOMY", P fare = "Upgrade into Exec First from full-fare Coach (Y/B) or Premium Economy (O) fares on International flights.", and Z fare = "Upgrade into Exec First from full-fare Coach (Y/B) or Premium Economy (O) fares on North America flights."

I don't see an EF tool for "codeshare fare class mapping". I checked under Awards & Upgrades, Flight Availability, Flight Timetables, Flight Status, Flight Details, Seat Map, Fare Information, Travel Information, Support, and Reference; I also checked their user manual… don't see a tool for codeshare class mapping that tells me that AC B => UA U on a flight like this.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Hmm, what is that ExpertFlyer tool called? ... .
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...odeshares.html
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ya, the reference is to the "view booking class tool", which tells us that this AC fare basis books into "UA M" when booked as a UA flight number or into "AC B" when booked as an AC flight number, but which notably does *not* tell us that "AC B" translates into "UA U". See a discussion there on the distinction:

Originally Posted by Sykes
That's partially true. That booking class table tells you what booking class you are allowed to book into if you book that carrier's flight number directly, not what the codeshares map to. While they are usually the same, there are some exceptions so you shouldn't rely on that as gospel. For example, I've run into situations in the past where, on a TATL W fare, the booking class table specifies W for Lufthansa, but when the same flight was booked as a UA codeshare operated by Lufthansa, it booked into V. (Fortunately, it was a discrepancy in my favor.)
And indeed I've quoted the EF tool in my original post which shows that this particular AC fare basis would book into UA M when booked as a UA flight number. But I don't see an ExpertFlyer tool that tells you how to interpret the booking class from a codeshare to the prime carrier once you've issued the ticket.

This is a subtle distinction; let me know if this doesn't make sense.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 6:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
if you see anything with Air Canada ROUGE, dont buy it! its extreme economy.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 10:19 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

And indeed I've quoted the EF tool in my original post which shows that this particular AC fare basis would book into UA M when booked as a UA flight number. But I don't see an ExpertFlyer tool that tells you how to interpret the booking class from a codeshare to the prime carrier once you've issued the ticket.
If I understand your question, the Booking Class search is part of the Fare Information results page. A third icon next to every fare result along side the Fare Rules and Routing Rules buttons. It's mentioned on the lower half of page 10 of the User Guide: http://www.expertflyer.com/user-guide.pdf
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
If I understand your question, the Booking Class search is part of the Fare Information results page. A third icon next to every fare result along side the Fare Rules and Routing Rules buttons. It's mentioned on the lower half of page 10 of the User Guide: http://www.expertflyer.com/user-guide.pdf
If I understand the tool right, the ExpertFlyer booking class tool will help me answer two of the following three questions only:

(1) When AC fare basis ELW38RCE SFO-DUB is used to book an AC flight number on a segment within North America, what booking class is booked on the AC flight? Answer: B.

Code:

IF VIA AC                      E- FARES  BETWEEN USA-AREA 2    
           E     REQUIRED      BETWEEN CANADA-AREA 2  FLTS     
                               1750-1999  AND                  
           B     REQUIRED      BETWEEN CANADA-USA  FLTS        
                               1750-1999                       
   VIA AC  E     REQUIRED      WHEN AVAILABLE  E- FARES  WITHIN
                               NORTH AMERICA                   
   VIA AC  B     REQUIRED      E- FARES  WITHIN NORTH AMERICA  
                               AREA 2                          
   VIA AC  B     REQUIRED      E- FARES  WITHIN AREA 2
(2) When AC fare basis ELW38RCE SFO-DUB is used to book a UA flight number on a segment within North America, what booking class is booked on the UA flight? Answer: M.

Code:
   VIA UA  M     REQUIRED      WITHIN AREA 1                   
IF VIA AC                      E- FARES  VIA PACIFIC
These are questions that ExpertFlyer can answer. But:

(3) When AC fare basis ELW38RCE SFO-DUB is used to book an AC flight number on a segment within North America, and it books into AC B, but the flight is a codeshare operated by United, what fare class does United say they received from Air Canada?

The answer (per screenshots above) is "U" — but I don't see a way to find this out without making a reservation and seeing what UA says they received from AC.

Do I misunderstand? Does Expertflyer have a tool that will answer (3)? The actual booking class on the operating carrier does make a difference for things like upgrades and mileage accrual.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
How to determine the fare class for mileage earning on codeshare before purchasing?

Hi -

Attempting to get qualifying miles on UA. Flying JFK-MUC-JNB. Ticket stock is LH. MUC-JNB is SA operated. Is there a way to tell underlying fare class for SA without buying the ticket and calling SA?

Thank you!
Old Dec 25, 2014, 10:03 am

What is the flight number? If it's a LH marketed flight number operated by SA, you may have a codeshare mapping problem -- best to buy the ticket, then check the fare class on the SA view of the reservation, then refund it within 24 hrs for free if you get the wrong fare class. (Double check that your agency / carrier gives a free 24-hr refund.)

If it's a SA flight number operated by SA, then even though the ticket is issued by LH, you'll be OK (you'll get the fare class stated on the e-ticket and stated at booking time).
Old Dec 25, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
what is the LH fare class?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Qualifying fare code

Since this is an ex-USA trip, DOT regulations apply on a 24 hour free hold or a full refund within 24 hours of purchase. So find out which one is used by the airline or agency you purchase from, hold or purchase ticket based on the answer, then call SA to find out what the fare code is on their flight. If it's not what you want, cancel ticket.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Qualifying fare code

flight numbers are code shares: LH9542 & LH9543. Fare codes are K and L for both LH metal and codeshare.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by pduck01
flight numbers are code shares: LH9542 & LH9543. Fare codes are K and L for both LH metal and codeshare.
Ha, yeah, good luck. You can get a GUESS at what will happen by using a tool like ExpertFlyer to see what fare class the fare would book into if it booked onto a SA-marketed flight, but that will not tell you what the LH codeshare fare class translates into.

Best you are gonna do is buy (or hold) the ticket then look at the SA view of the reservation and check the fare classes they see then cancel it if it doesn't work for you.

Even for carriers who don't offer a free 24-hr refund, you can usually get an ARC void from a travel agent, for example Orbitz is pretty good about cancelling trips within 24 hrs of purchase for almost all carriers for free (which is a thing that travel agents can generally do). Worst case, if LH doesn't offer 24 hr free refund on the itinerary you want, you can usually book with Orbitz then check the SA view of the itinerary to see what the fare class is and cancel/refund.

After you do this exercise, please report the fare class you get — it is proprietary/secret knowledge and publishing it publicly will help educate consumers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.