Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to find the fare class / mapping for codeshare mileage earning before purchasing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In *A, mileage earning is based on the rules for the operating carrier
There are three key pieces of info needed
1. The operating carrier of the flight segment (how marketed / codeshare do not matter)
2. The fare class of the operating carrier. This can be a problem if purchased as codeshare because the codeshare's fare class is not relevant.
3. Program you are crediting

If crediting to United MileagePlus, see the partner earning tables to determine earnings (both RDMs and PQMs)
Print Wikipost

How to find the fare class / mapping for codeshare mileage earning before purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mario_s
Does it mean that I can book it on UA stock?
I think it should be fine. The grammar is a little stranger than usual, but the plating rules seem to allow the standard set of *A TATL friends:

Code:
   OR - TICKETS MUST NOT BE ISSUED ON OS. TICKETS MUST BE
        ISSUED BY UA AND MAY NOT BE SOLD IN ANGOLA/SUDAN/
        SOUTH SUDAN/VENEZUELA/ZIMBABWE/IRAN. AND MAY ONLY
        BE SOLD IN AREA 1/AREA 2/AREA 3. EXTENSION OF
        TICKET VALIDITY IS NOT PERMITTED.
         NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
          SALES RESTRICTIONS/ SEQUENTIAL USE OF FLIGHT
           COUPONS
           OTHER CONDITIONS
           SEQUENTIAL USE OF FLIGHT COUPONS - THIS FARE IS
           ONLY VALID IF THE FLIGHTS ARE TAKEN IN THE BOOKED
           SEQUENCE. OTHERWISE THE FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED
           BASED ON THE ACTUAL FLIGHT ROUTING.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: LO
Originally Posted by findark
I think it should be fine. The grammar is a little stranger than usual, but the plating rules seem to allow the standard set of *A TATL friends:

Code:
OR - TICKETS MUST NOT BE ISSUED ON OS. TICKETS MUST BE
ISSUED BY UA AND MAY NOT BE SOLD IN ANGOLA/SUDAN/
SOUTH SUDAN/VENEZUELA/ZIMBABWE/IRAN. AND MAY ONLY
BE SOLD IN AREA 1/AREA 2/AREA 3. EXTENSION OF
TICKET VALIDITY IS NOT PERMITTED.
NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
SALES RESTRICTIONS/ SEQUENTIAL USE OF FLIGHT
COUPONS
OTHER CONDITIONS
SEQUENTIAL USE OF FLIGHT COUPONS - THIS FARE IS
ONLY VALID IF THE FLIGHTS ARE TAKEN IN THE BOOKED
SEQUENCE. OTHERWISE THE FARE WILL BE RECALCULATED
BASED ON THE ACTUAL FLIGHT ROUTING.
I have booked! thx! Anyone knows how does OS Y map to LO?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have booked! thx! Anyone knows how does OS Y map to LO?
I didn't verify, but Y goes to Y pretty much always.
mario_s likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: LO
So one more AC E to LH? Also E?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So one more AC E to LH? Also E?
Yes, O/E/N goes to G/E/N. It's usually the way makes sense.
mario_s likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
My experience with UA codeshares is the fares listed on their site line up with the operating airline (ie a UA codeshare W on NZ earns what an NZ W fare would), does this line up with what others have experienced?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2018 at 7:09 pm Reason: split post to separate discussion
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Today I was rebooked on an Air New Zealand flight, UA codeshare W fare. I'm pretty sure UA W fares are upgradeable but I'm not sure if it's just with miles, or copay or if it's open to non-mileageplus folks. Lastly because it's a codeshare I'm never sure of anything.
As a general rule, codeshares can't be upgraded. And a W fare isn't going to be upgradeable by any currency except for the operating carrier's own. This sounds like a UA code on a flight operated by NZ, so you'd only have any chance of upgrading it with NZ miles.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2018 at 7:11 pm Reason: splitting out discussion
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... My experience with UA codeshares is the fares listed on their site line up with the operating airline (ie a UA codeshare W on NZ earns what an NZ W fare would), does this line up with what others have experienced?
Many times yes BUT there are numerous deviations -- especially for airlines with Premium Economy. However there are other such "A" fares with AC, AC has it as discount economy, UA uses it for discount F., R is another one to watch for and P

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2018 at 7:16 pm Reason: splitting posting to separate discussion
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Many times yes BUT there are numerous deviations -- especially for airlines with Premium Economy. However there are other such "A" fares with AC, AC has it as discount economy, UA uses it for discount F., R is another one to watch for and P
Fair enough, any experience about W? UA has rebooked me into W codeshare on an NZ flight. My previous L fare was gonna be 0% earning (it was such a good deal I bought it anyway) but a W class, if it's NZ W, has a wide range of earning potentials.

It does indicate W now on the "manage my booking" area on the NZ site.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2018 at 7:14 pm Reason: adjusting linkages after splitting post
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:02 pm

I thought there might be a bigger thread for codeshare questions, but I didn't come across one so I'll ask it here.

In my past experience the UA website lists their codeshares correctly.

IE: SFO-IAH UA 1696 K
IAH-NRT UA7900 (operated by ANA) K

My experience with the UA site is that K for the NH flight is correct and will credit according to K fare rules operated by ANA. I've used this multiple times and never had any issues (unlike AC's website) and thus I no longer question it.

Today I was rebooked from SEA-LAX-AKL to SEA-IAH-AKL and the IAH-AKL was rebooked into W fare. Great, I can earn some solid miles instead of the L I was originally given. But when picking my seats and conversing with the NZ phone rep she confirmed it was booked into an Air New Zealand W fare, but that the mileage would credit as an L fare which is the original. She said "they've only put W because they had to, to get you on this flight".

...is she right? Again, I've never had an issue with what the website says. I'm gonna fly either way, but I have no idea if I'll earn at the W fare vs the L fare just because of her comment. I could see an FFP trying to do this, "pay out" miles based on the original booking class, the way they do with upgrades, but I can't imagine they'd actually be able to pull it off. This is a ticket bought on United, flying with United and Air New Zealand, but I'll wanna credit the miles to Asiana, so I really don't see how all 3 would pass on the info correctly so that Asiana would "pay out" as L.

Thoughts?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But when picking my seats and conversing with the NZ phone rep she confirmed it was booked into an Air New Zealand W fare, but that the mileage would credit as an L fare which is the original. She said "they've only put W because they had to, to get you on this flight".
There is no published correlation between the booking class for the codeshare and the internal booking class used internally by NZ. If UA W maps to NZ L, you'll get credit for an NZ L.

...is she right? Again, I've never had an issue with what the website says. I'm gonna fly either way, but I have no idea if I'll earn at the W fare vs the L fare just because of her comment.
You've been lulled into a false sense of security because NH and UA have alignment on the K booking class.

I could see an FFP trying to do this, "pay out" miles based on the original booking class, the way they do with upgrades, but I can't imagine they'd actually be able to pull it off. This is a ticket bought on United, flying with United and Air New Zealand, but I'll wanna credit the miles to Asiana, so I really don't see how all 3 would pass on the info correctly so that Asiana would "pay out" as L.
My guess is that you'll receive whatever credit you would have received if you had originally purchased the UA W fare. What credit that is, I have no idea, but it's not necessarily the same as if you had a W fare on an NZ-coded flight.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
You've been lulled into a false sense of security because NH and UA have alignment on the K booking class.
Fair enough, I've also had the same experience with LH, AC and CM flights where whatever the booking class shown on the UA site earned at the rate that class would on their earnings table. Again example, I was rebooked into Y on LH one day and earned at that rate as opposed to the UA K that I was originally in.

Originally Posted by jsloan
My guess is that you'll receive whatever credit you would have received if you had originally purchased the UA W fare. What credit that is, I have no idea, but it's not necessarily the same as if you had a W fare on an NZ-coded flight.
Originally I was booked into UA L and then UA Codeshare L, now it shows UA L and UA Codeshare W and the Air New Zealand website says W for the booking class.

I guess we shall see, but fingers crossed I earn the W rate because then I'll get some miles off this ridiculously cheap flight. If not, then no harm no foul the rebooking just got me a slightly more interesting routing.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Looking further at NZ,

F, P, X are clearly different and S is placed differently between NZ and UA

Fair enough, any experience about W? UA has rebooked me into W codeshare on an NZ flight. My previous L fare was gonna be 0% earning (it was such a good deal I bought it anyway) but a W class, if it's NZ W, has a wide range of earning potentials.

It does indicate W now on the "manage my booking" area on the NZ site.
But is it showing the NZ flight number or the UA codeshare?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:53 pm

It's showing the UA codeshare number.

If it makes a difference I'm trying to earn to OZ, so if it ends up being "credited" as L I'll get 0% but if it ends up getting credited as W I'll get 100% which would be a cool 7500 ish miles, which I could definitely use .
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:24 pm

It's showing the UA codeshare number. ...
Then it is not the NZ fare class. Give NZ a call and aks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.