Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to find the fare class / mapping for codeshare mileage earning before purchasing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In *A, mileage earning is based on the rules for the operating carrier
There are three key pieces of info needed
1. The operating carrier of the flight segment (how marketed / codeshare do not matter)
2. The fare class of the operating carrier. This can be a problem if purchased as codeshare because the codeshare's fare class is not relevant.
3. Program you are crediting

If crediting to United MileagePlus, see the partner earning tables to determine earnings (both RDMs and PQMs)
Print Wikipost

How to find the fare class / mapping for codeshare mileage earning before purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Then it is not the NZ fare class. Give NZ a call and aks.
A couple posts up I mentioned that I had called and asked, she confirmed it was NZ W class, but the whole reason for me posting this was then I said "oh good that works in my favor" and she said "oh well, if you're talking about points it says W fare because it's last minute that's what they had to use to get you on this flight, but the points will be from the original booking class".

I posted asking you guys about this because that's contrary to my previous experience. I've never had an FFP pay out the miles based on a different fare class, EXCEPT when talking about opUPs or paid upgrades (either with cash or other instruments).

I have no reason other than her off hand remark to believe that I won't have this credit as W fare, but she made that comment and now I'm wondering.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
If anyone was wondering, I got my miles credited just as the United website displayed them, SEA-IAH (L) IAH-AKL (W), so just as I thought they would. That one little comment from the res agent though really had me wondering. Just another case where I shouldn't doubt myself. Much like when an AS agent told me that award tickets wouldn't grant lounge access despite being business class.
jsloan likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:11 am

Programs: LO
Does UA S map to LH S?

Last edited by mario_s; Aug 22, 2018 at 5:18 am
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by mario_s
Does UA S map to LH S?
In all cases I know of, yes, but there may be some exceptions (especially intra-Europe).
mario_s likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:10 am

Does anyone know how an AC codeshare "P" fare in business, operated by TK would map out for the purpose of MP accumulation. As we all know, TK "P" fares earn 0.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:13 am

As a DP, I recently took a HX codeshare operated by BR. The HX "J" business class fare mapped out as BR "D" on MP. 125% RDM's and 100% PQM's.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by flyme2
Does anyone know how an AC codeshare "P" fare in business, operated by TK would map out for the purpose of MP accumulation. As we all know, TK "P" fares earn 0.
I believe it credits as K class, although all TK revenue Business fare classes earn the same, so it shouldn't really matter.
flyme2 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Hello I have two mileage credit questions:

1. I bought a United ticket (ticket number starts with 016) where some flights are operated by LH, but with UA flight numbers (I think that is called code share, not sure though). Now when the miles were credited this was done according to the LH earning chart, not with respect to the UA earning chart.

The ticket we bought was Premium Economy (R class) and thus should have netted us 1.5 PQM per mile flown, instead it was credited as LH in N class, which results in 1.0 PQM per mile flown.

2. A similar case to the above. I bought an OS (Austrian) ticket where all flights had OS flight numbers, but some flights operated by OU (Croatia Airlines). And again, the OU operated flights were credited according to OU chart and not the OS earning chart.

I enquired about it ([email protected]), but was told:

################################################## ###########
"Dear XXXXX:

The flight credit is based upon the operating carrier of the flight not the issuing airline of the ticket. The correct number of miles are posted for the Croatia Airlines flight. The Lufthansa flight will update in a few days. The miles earned will be based upon the Lufthansa credit policy.
Thank you for being a Premier Gold member.
Regards,
XXXX XXXX

MileagePlus® Service Center

################################################## ###########

I was always under the impression this is the other way around, if the ticket starts with 016 I should earn according to the UA chart. Is the agent correct or wrong? And if the agent is wrong, how should I proceed? Keep on mailing or calling?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 29, 2019 at 7:43 pm Reason: Moved to relevant thread
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Flauschie_Mr
I was always under the impression this is the other way around, if the ticket starts with 016 I should earn according to the UA chart.
The agent was correct. You always use the earning charts of the operating airline. The marketing carrier (i.e., codeshare) is of no consequence in Star alliance. There are charts for 016 tickets, and charts for non-016 (which define whether RDM fare-based or distance-based), but only the fare class of the operating carrier matters in all cases.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:19 pm

Then the UA booking class is meaningless? I bought a flight in R class (Premium Economy) and this then can be N,G or E in case of LH. How can I find out before booking?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Then the UA booking class is meaningless?
Correct.

How can I find out before booking?
Unfortunately, you can't. But you have 24 hours after booking to cancel for a full refund, so you can check in that time.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Correct.

):

Unfortunately, you can't. But you have 24 hours after booking to cancel for a full refund, so you can check in that time.
That is good to know. And the 24h cancellation policy works also when other airlines are the operating carrier, as long as UA issues the ticket?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
That is good to know. And the 24h cancellation policy works also when other airlines are the operating carrier, as long as UA issues the ticket?
Yes if United issued the ticket (IME)
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:37 pm

Thank you very much guys. I will keep that in mind next time when booking.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In general, this is true. However, for the specific case of UA codeshares on LH or NH, there is a simple mapping: for the PE fares, UA O -> G, UA A -> E, UA R -> N; all other UA fare classes map exactly (K -> K, L -> L, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.