Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to find the fare class / mapping for codeshare mileage earning before purchasing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
In *A, mileage earning is based on the rules for the operating carrier
There are three key pieces of info needed
1. The operating carrier of the flight segment (how marketed / codeshare do not matter)
2. The fare class of the operating carrier. This can be a problem if purchased as codeshare because the codeshare's fare class is not relevant.
3. Program you are crediting

If crediting to United MileagePlus, see the partner earning tables to determine earnings (both RDMs and PQMs)
Print Wikipost

How to find the fare class / mapping for codeshare mileage earning before purchasing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
Call LH, and get the AC PNR, and look up the fare class in AC's reservation system. Just look at the letter and not the fare class description (Tango/Flex) since it's often wrong for codeshares. (Note though that I don't think there are any "normal" AC classes that earn 0 miles. I suspect you will earn 50% RDM (as a previous poster said, assuming if it's not a United ticket), and 100% PQM.)
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by sbm12
Operating carrier, but you also typically need to have the flight booked for them to see. Just calling and asking a hypothetical, "What does LH K map to on AC metal for flight 1234?" is going to result in a quite frustrating experience if I had to bet.
EF is pretty good at mapping them
Old Mar 4, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: LO
anyone knows how does United E map to LH? also E?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 5:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mario_s
anyone knows how does United E map to LH? also E?
Doubtful, because that's a premium economy fare class on LH.

I'd guess it maps to M, H, or U, but that's just based on the fare structure, not any particular experience with the fare.

It would be helpful to have more information. As far as I can tell from a quick look at EF, UA does not typically sell E as an LH codeshare fare class.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:24 am

Ok, my fault. I would like to book LH E on UA stock. So probably it would be codeshare.... Is it possible? E.g. I need to book a trip from EU to LAS via SFO where EU-SFO is LH (E) and SFO-LAS is UA (M) but I would like to have this ticket on UA stock not LH.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Ok, my fault. I would like to book LH E on UA stock. So probably it would be codeshare.... Is it possible? E.g. I need to book a trip from EU to LAS via SFO where EU-SFO is LH (E) and SFO-LAS is UA (M) but I would like to have this ticket on UA stock not LH.
Then there is no codeshare. They will book it as LH code in E which earns as 'E' would on LH. You will get RDM based on $ spent if on a 016 ticket. Google flights can do this and punch it over to United.com. There is nothing that maps from UA to LH in E.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It is possible to ticket on 016, but you must use the native LH flight number. There is no fare class on the UA codeshare which maps to LH E. As noted, some success with Google Flights but I always just call and book direct with UA.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:40 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Ok, my fault. I would like to book LH E on UA stock. ....
You will find more on that in How to book LH Premium Economy on United ticket stock?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Then there is no codeshare. They will book it as LH code in E which earns as 'E' would on LH. You will get RDM based on $ spent if on a 016 ticket. Google flights can do this and punch it over to United.com. There is nothing that maps from UA to LH in E.
thx! I've just checked Google Flights and maybe I would find a flight. Unfortunately, most of flights are more expensive on UA than on LH. Probably different availability (sold out or sth).

Originally Posted by findark
It is possible to ticket on 016, but you must use the native LH flight number. There is no fare class on the UA codeshare which maps to LH E. As noted, some success with Google Flights but I always just call and book direct with UA.
Yes, I will do it if necessary (I can't find a good flight online)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Maybe it will be easier to book LH PE on 016 ticket nr when UA offers this cabin.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:37 am

Seeing Fare Class of UA Codeshare

I'm looking at a codeshare itinerary operated by ANA which shows as W and K class on the UA site. The same itinerary non-codeshare is a few hundred USD more on ANA's site and listed as W and S class. Anyone know how many miles I will earn if I book the flight through UA and credit OZ?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by randomasian
I'm looking at a codeshare itinerary operated by ANA which shows as W and K class on the UA site. The same itinerary non-codeshare is a few hundred USD more on ANA's site and listed as W and S class. Anyone know how many miles I will earn if I book the flight through UA and credit OZ?
It's impossible to say without knowing the route. Are you saying it's W on the outbound and S/K on the return, or are you saying it's W to Tokyo and then S/K from there? That matters also.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:17 am

The flight is HKG to SJC through NRT which is W outbound and S/K on the return trip from SJC to HKG.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The flight is HKG to SJC through NRT which is W outbound and S/K on the return trip from SJC to HKG.
On this route, it looks like all three of those codes map to the same codes on NH (UA K = NH K, UA S = NH S, and UA W = NH W). So, you should earn based on Asiana's charts for the same codes as you're seeing on UA.

Hope this helps.
IAH-OIL-TRASH likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Well, it looks like you got an answer below. What I've done is always just book the itin, view the reservation through ANA and see what fare classes I'm booked into, and if I don't like those, then I cancel the reservation in less than 24 hours to incur a penalty.

I do this often for Air Canada due to the "Tango" fares.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 9:55 am

Thanks! Codeshares give me a headache but the price difference is enough to make me consider it this time.
Hopefully I can get my seat assignments and they don't mess up my Global Entry/TSA Pre Check info.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.