FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to find the fare class / mapping for codeshare mileage earning before purchasing?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:06 am
mherdeg

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Ya, the reference is to the "view booking class tool", which tells us that this AC fare basis books into "UA M" when booked as a UA flight number or into "AC B" when booked as an AC flight number, but which notably does *not* tell us that "AC B" translates into "UA U". See a discussion there on the distinction:

Originally Posted by Sykes
That's partially true. That booking class table tells you what booking class you are allowed to book into if you book that carrier's flight number directly, not what the codeshares map to. While they are usually the same, there are some exceptions so you shouldn't rely on that as gospel. For example, I've run into situations in the past where, on a TATL W fare, the booking class table specifies W for Lufthansa, but when the same flight was booked as a UA codeshare operated by Lufthansa, it booked into V. (Fortunately, it was a discrepancy in my favor.)
And indeed I've quoted the EF tool in my original post which shows that this particular AC fare basis would book into UA M when booked as a UA flight number. But I don't see an ExpertFlyer tool that tells you how to interpret the booking class from a codeshare to the prime carrier once you've issued the ticket.

This is a subtle distinction; let me know if this doesn't make sense.