Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring on Jan, 31 2015 will be extended (max 2 GPU'S)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhyPayRent
As of Dec 4, 2014, up to 2 Jan 31 2015 expiring GPUs can be extended to April 30, 2015
- Call or email 1K/GS agents to request
- Must have re-qualified for 2015 as 1K (or GS)
- No extension for RPUs

In past this must be done prior to expiration, would assume the same this time also.
Print Wikipost

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring on Jan, 31 2015 will be extended (max 2 GPU'S)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Extensions are nice, given the ranks of 1K will be dropping like flies on 1/31/15 ..
There is no evidence there will be a significant change.

.... When did they stop GE reimbursement?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...lat-1k-gs.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2014 at 11:40 pm Reason: link
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA GS
I emailed 1K voice and they denied my request. My flight tomorrow will re-qual me for 1K next year, so I'll try again once that flight posts. Hopefully it works.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Just flew roundtrip to Europe (full Y on the way out, U on the way back). Even though there were lots of business first seats a week out, I didn't get upgraded on either leg. I have a bunch of GPUs expiring - they are basically junk for business travelers. I guess if you can plan far in advance and fly mid-week, they might be worth something, but that isn't the case for most business people.

Pretty depressing.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by bldr1k
Just flew roundtrip to Europe (full Y on the way out, U on the way back). Even though there were lots of business first seats a week out, I didn't get upgraded on either leg. I have a bunch of GPUs expiring - they are basically junk for business travelers. I guess if you can plan far in advance and fly mid-week, they might be worth something, but that isn't the case for most business people.

Pretty depressing.
It's true about the midweek and far in advance thing, but it's mainly about the route you fly. SFO<->LHR is a tough one for example, requiring me to book a higher fare than the minimum to have a good shot. Also, the Monday after Thanksgiving ex IAD is really hard (ie impossible) Still, I'm 18 for 20 this year, but as you suggest, I have the advantage of a bit of flexibility.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:40 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
which part of 'no RPU extension' is so difficult? RPU from a November failure is still valid for another 2 months. The only time I got one extended was a 1/20 trip where the flight was cancelled due to MX (!) and it took a while to get a new one valid for a whopping 2 months.
Given UA's official policy is "no GPU extension," what part of "no GPU extension" is so difficult?

Yet people have asked and have received. Is it so hard to think that people might wonder if UA would do the same for RPUs?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Extensions are nice, given the ranks of 1K will be dropping like flies on 1/31/15 ..
There is no evidence there will be a significant change.
The one datapoint in your favor is them raising the bar to $12k for next year.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 5, 2014 at 12:21 pm Reason: repaired BBcode
Old Dec 5, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by StingWest
It's true about the midweek and far in advance thing, but it's mainly about the route you fly. SFO<->LHR is a tough one for example, requiring me to book a higher fare than the minimum to have a good shot. Also, the Monday after Thanksgiving ex IAD is really hard (ie impossible) Still, I'm 18 for 20 this year, but as you suggest, I have the advantage of a bit of flexibility.
That is amazing. I am 4 for 18 this year - and they were all in the beginning of the year.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Done and done! Two extended until end of April. I even had them exchange two Jan 2016 expiring GPUs for the April 2015 expiring ones since my trip was in March 2015 :-) Overall, a good day to be 1K!
Old Dec 5, 2014, 7:47 pm

this is indeed great news. i had my remaining 2014 GPU extended till 4/30/15. QUESTION: i have a reservation in feb 2015 with a GPU applied and confirmed prior to today's extension, that GPU came from my 2015 bucket. called to "swap" it for the 2014 april-expiring GPU, but the agents (i called twice) tell me i don't need to swap and that the system will automatically deduct the first expiring GPU, but somehow it just doesn't feel right. does anyone have any experience on this? thanks.
UPDATE: well the 2 agents i talked to first were wrong. it is true that the earlier expiring GPU is applied, but at the time of request. when the GPU is already applied, it doesn't automatically swap earlier-expiring GPUs, the agent must manually redeposit the applied GPU and reapply the other.

Last edited by IAD1k; Dec 6, 2014 at 2:21 pm Reason: update 12/6/14
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: UA 1K/3.7MM, Hawn Platinum, Hilton Diamond, PC Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Natl Exe Elite
Called the 1K MP desk today and the agent put me on hold for a few minutes as he manually had to extend the GPU's to 4/15/15. Thanks for the previous posts to infOrm me about the extension. Mahalo and happy holidays to all.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
The one datapoint in your favor is them raising the bar to $12k for next year.

I don't think that will matter much. It isn't to cull the 1K ranks, it is to make them buy 016 and UA metal tickets. Once again, at best UA doesn't care about 1Ks, I think they actually hate us Y-cabin/FF because we are too cheap to be GSers. Heck, it might make it worse since people that were on LH flights might be more likely to be on UA metal now.

I'll hit 1K on my flight later today, I'll have two GPUs to carry over, and that is good since I think I'll be doing more TATL/TPACs next year. I'm 2/4 on UA metal and 1/1 on LH. I'll have a at least two TATL 1Q2015 already planned.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
OP here. I just extended two of mine to 4/30/15. Thank you to those who provided information along the way!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
Given UA's official policy is "no GPU extension," what part of "no GPU extension" is so difficult?

Yet people have asked and have received. Is it so hard to think that people might wonder if UA would do the same for RPUs?
it was posted there are no RPU extensions ... do that's not hard to understand is it?
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
Originally Posted by bajong
Called the 1K MP desk today and the agent put me on hold for a few minutes as he manually had to extend the GPU's to 4/15/15. Thanks for the previous posts to infOrm me about the extension. Mahalo and happy holidays to all.
Cool. Have you already requalified for 1K next year? I'm at 80k miles this year, might just make it to 1K before the end of the year, do I have to have requalified for 1K before they will extend them?

I have 1 left and I have a flight to LHR I want to book that is showing available space... want to get in there now to make sure I get the space!

Cheers!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by travellermatt
....do I have to have requalified for 1K before they will extend them? ....
that has been the practice in the past and numerous reports upthread confirm it is also required this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.