Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring on Jan, 31 2015 will be extended (max 2 GPU'S)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhyPayRent
As of Dec 4, 2014, up to 2 Jan 31 2015 expiring GPUs can be extended to April 30, 2015
- Call or email 1K/GS agents to request
- Must have re-qualified for 2015 as 1K (or GS)
- No extension for RPUs

In past this must be done prior to expiration, would assume the same this time also.
Print Wikipost

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring on Jan, 31 2015 will be extended (max 2 GPU'S)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: United: 1K, BA: Silver, IHG: Plat, Hyatt: Plat, Marriott: Gold, SPG: Gold, Avis: Chairman
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
that has been the practice in the past and numerous reports upthread confirm it is also required this year.
Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I just called...they won't extend them unless you're requalified for 1K...bummer but not surprising. Guess I'll have to wait a few more weeks.
Yea same story here, I hadn't seen that others had failed on this account when I called to ask. I guess given the customer is the enemy mentality of the new United that it is already out of character for them to offer this benefit at all, much less for those who haven't requalified. Still disappointing.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Yea same story here, I hadn't seen that others had failed on this account when I called to ask. I guess given the customer is the enemy mentality of the new United that it is already out of character for them to offer this benefit at all, much less for those who haven't requalified. Still disappointing.
Going back 5-6 years (my personal experience), the requal has ALWAYS been the requirement. No change here. Standard (but not published) program, standard set of requirements. Hard to make anything else out of it.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
Best thing ever: had 2 of mine extended and they mistakenly set them to expire 4/1/2016.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Turkish Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Best thing ever: had 2 of mine extended and they mistakenly set them to expire 4/1/2016.
Luck you. Debating whether to use mine for a Europe trip this winter
Old Dec 9, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAD1k
this is indeed great news. i had my remaining 2014 GPU extended till 4/30/15. QUESTION: i have a reservation in feb 2015 with a GPU applied and confirmed prior to today's extension, that GPU came from my 2015 bucket. called to "swap" it for the 2014 april-expiring GPU, but the agents (i called twice) tell me i don't need to swap and that the system will automatically deduct the first expiring GPU, but somehow it just doesn't feel right. does anyone have any experience on this? thanks.
UPDATE: well the 2 agents i talked to first were wrong. it is true that the earlier expiring GPU is applied, but at the time of request. when the GPU is already applied, it doesn't automatically swap earlier-expiring GPUs, the agent must manually redeposit the applied GPU and reapply the other.
Thanks for the info. I am in a similar position wanting to swap out 2016 expiring GPUs already waitlisted to a reservation with newly extended April 2015 GPUs. is there any way to do this on-line without having to call in?

Thx
Old Dec 9, 2014, 2:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ExRSA
Thanks for the info. I am in a similar position wanting to swap out 2016 expiring GPUs already waitlisted to a reservation with newly extended April 2015 GPUs. is there any way to do this on-line without having to call in? ...
Nope -- as a GS, just call the GS line and request this.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:54 am

Very easy...took less than 2 minutes and saw the updated dates instantly.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
that has been the practice in the past and numerous reports upthread confirm it is also required this year.
Re-qualifying for 1K that is before asking - that's exactly what I received. Essentially, email us back once you top 100,000.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Global Entry
I also had similar wonderful luck and had my 2GPUs extended to 4/30/2016, addtionally they missed taking one of my old ones I was swapping... From everyones experience are they all safe to use as is or will it be caught and get "fixed" down the road.

The expected outcome will effect how generous I am to friends or family this coming month. I have no further travel planned myself before 1/31/2015 but could give the "old/1-31-2015" one away but do not want UA to come back and take one of my "new" ones away if they do system audits.

Thanks in advance for the advice, long time observer, first time poster.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:53 am

I emailed 1Kvoice last week to request an extension. What's the average response time?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
I emailed 1Kvoice last week to request an extension. What's the average response time?
I'd call it in if you have an active need for it
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Did you check your GPU account to see if it has already been done? Like others, it only took a few minutes over the phone.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I called the 1k line and got a rep that sounded like she was asleep or hung over and she said that there were no extensions. I thanked her politely, went for HUCA and got my 2 extensions until 4/30/2016.
She did want to confirm that I had re-qualified first though.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Has anyone tried an RPU extension yet? I remember someone last year getting lucky with extending one, but I'm well aware that was an exception and not the rule.

I'm also curious if GS can have that done more easily than a lowly 1k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.