Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring on Jan, 31 2015 will be extended (max 2 GPU'S)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhyPayRent
As of Dec 4, 2014, up to 2 Jan 31 2015 expiring GPUs can be extended to April 30, 2015
- Call or email 1K/GS agents to request
- Must have re-qualified for 2015 as 1K (or GS)
- No extension for RPUs

In past this must be done prior to expiration, would assume the same this time also.
Print Wikipost

[CONFIRMED] GPU's expiring on Jan, 31 2015 will be extended (max 2 GPU'S)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have a tricky one. I used my January-expiring GPUs on January travel... which I'm about to have to reschedule for medical reasons. I am not looking forward with the conversations with MP and UA over this, as the replacement flights I'll book with R space, and use my 2015 GPUs to confirm, right away. Then I will have to get these back (IME, they won't come back automatically until after travel--even if I use a new instrument on the trip). And get them extended. And get them swapped with the 2015 GPUs I'll have used as placeholders to keep those R space seats for February or March travel.

I feel a headache coming on already.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
I have a tricky one. I used my January-expiring GPUs on January travel... which I'm about to have to reschedule for medical reasons. I am not looking forward with the conversations with MP and UA over this, as the replacement flights I'll book with R space, and use my 2015 GPUs to confirm, right away. Then I will have to get these back (IME, they won't come back automatically until after travel--even if I use a new instrument on the trip). And get them extended. And get them swapped with the 2015 GPUs I'll have used as placeholders to keep those R space seats for February or March travel.
You can't just pull the 2014 GPU's off the current itineraries right now and then ask they be extended? When I've requested redeposits by phone they've occurred instantaneously.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You can't just pull the 2014 GPU's off the current itineraries right now and then ask they be extended? When I've requested redeposits by phone they've occurred instantaneously.
Well, now that's thinking. I'll try that. Still waiting to hear back from one guy about rescheduling before I choose the new dates and call UA.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Got two extended. Applied them to travel next month, and the non-extended ones were applied. Now MPSC says "we can't fix this, as its on an existing reservation" and Reservations says "only MP can deal with GPU expiration dates". I'll let you know how this resolves itself.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:13 pm

It was a challenge. The agent knew exactly what I needed, but initially claimed it would take 24-48 hours.

I explained that I needed them within a couple of hours so I could apply them to my trip when I rebooked it. It took me a while to convince the agent that I had not rebooked yet (but I had cancelled the original itin), and was waiting to do so until I had the GPUs in hand so I could ensure the R space was still there at that time.

She kept saying, "We can only extend until 4/30, and all I see before then are trips in paid F." I finally gave her the PNR of the cancelled trip, said, "THIS is the trip I will be applying them to, when I rebook it after I get off the phone with you."

She then put me on hold for ~10 minutes. "Can you give us 24 hours? We're very busy handling a lot of different jobs right now."

I said that no, I needed them right away as that R space might not be there in 24 hours (in fact, while on the phone with her, the W space evaporated and cost me ~$100 for V; inventory changes rapidly!).

"Can you give me just a half an hour? We'll do our best."

I agreed to give them a half an hour. In 10 minutes, my GPUs had redeposited (with the 1/31 expiration). In 45--only a little bit late--they'd been extended to 4/30.

So, it only took me ~1.3 hours to get these two extended, between the call and the wait.

Don't get me started on my call to rebook when the Web site would only offer my return in K and not V... and the web site, reservations, and web support all saw different fares. The web support agent was great, but it was definitely a long and involved call.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 3:19 pm

I had a long an involved call (with a MPSC rep, but she was on the phone with Reservations). At the end of it, they said everything was fixed, but at the end of it I lost an upgrade on one segment and lost a GPU. Obviously a new definition of "fixed" of which I was previously unaware.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Called MP today and was told extension of two GPU xp 1/31/15 not possible
Any recent changes?

Update: Called another MP agent, who confirmed extension.

Last edited by cesco.g; Jan 21, 2015 at 5:46 pm Reason: update
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Called up

Last GPU from last year extended in under 3minutes after verifying I had qualified for 2015
was able to apply it instantly
Old Jan 24, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DreamlinerFlyer
mgcsinc, I am sorry and surprised that you did not requalify for 1K. I have followed this Forum for a long time as a reader, and just joined FT as a contributor. I have always enjoyed your posts. Perhaps not requalifying as a 1K was your choice, perhaps not.

Is it worth a call to the 1K desk during the week to see if your 2 GPUs may be extended? Any chance you can ask for 1K status for next year (if you want it) based upon your long past history? Others have reported success in having their status extended after calling in to request it. Good luck in whatever you decide.
I chose not to fly as much.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Exactly the opposite sentiment. Both in this specific instance (I hope the do it) and in general (they should do it). UA has made it too difficult for those without extremely flexible travel schedules to successfully use their GPUs.
Got the extension until April. I explained that I had failed last weekend and pointed out the upcoming trip on which I was hoping to use the GPUs on. It was an overseas agent, had to have her supervisor authorize it, but it was all taken care of within ten minutes on my first attempt.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA gold, A3 gold
Bump and reminder for those last minute types (like myself) to do this today. MP call center is closed now but opens at 7am (CST?) to make sure you request that extension before expiry later today!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've never heard of United extending a GPU to a non-requalifier, and nothing personal, but I hope they don't do it. It would make expirations have very little meaning.
United did it for a friend of mine - however, it was originally applied to an itinerary before 1/31, but with winter weather, he didn't go out unto after that.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
I had a long an involved call (with a MPSC rep, but she was on the phone with Reservations). At the end of it, they said everything was fixed, but at the end of it I lost an upgrade on one segment and lost a GPU. Obviously a new definition of "fixed" of which I was previously unaware.
Finally it's fixed. They applied two GPUs to one segment, and they couldn't undo that without me losing the upgrade, so they just minted a new GPU and put it in my account. I'm happy with that.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:43 pm

Any updates on when we find out about extending GPUs?

Would like to plan travel for later in 2016, ideally before November time frame.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.