Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I too am struggling to find working WiFi. Out of 8 flights in last 15 days, WiFi only worked on 2.
I have gotten to the point that I no longer use it and certainly no longer subscribe to it. Over the past few years I have had to call/write/email etc... for refunds. Certainly never given any kind of additional compensation. Felt lucky at times just to get a prompt refund. Now I just use air time as down time. I do get work done that does not necessitate to use of Wifi but for me most of what I do does. I am hopeful that in a couple years they will some how figure this out and be able to produce robust, reliable, and cheap WiFi in the air.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Curious...
AKL-SFO 77W a few days ago....Wifi was listed under amenities but two FAs told me there is NEVER wifi "over the water". I know this is not true since I fly to SIN quite often. Curious if this is something to do with this route or was it just BS?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by chavala
Curious...
AKL-SFO 77W a few days ago....Wifi was listed under amenities but two FAs told me there is NEVER wifi "over the water". I know this is not true since I fly to SIN quite often. Curious if this is something to do with this route or was it just BS?
FAs may have been confused with other aircraft equipped with other Wifi systems where this may be true. For a 77W (and most of the long-haul fleet) they are equipped with Panasonic which has nearly global coverage. There are some dead spots in the South Pacific, so the AKL flight may skim them a little bit, but IIRC those dead spots are also near the ETOPS-180 holes as well, anyway.

The wifi map is here.
chavala likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by chavala
Curious...
Did you have wifi showing 'available' and did it work - or did the crew deliberately turn it off? If the latter, they need to be reported, this is unacceptable.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Did you have wifi showing 'available' and did it work - or did the crew deliberately turn it off? If the latter, they need to be reported, this is unacceptable.
Yes, It did show as available. I was able to access my account on United.com but not wifi or entertainment. I checked many times throughout the flight. It just kept bringing me to a page saying something like “Learn more about United wifi”, but then nothing.
Two different FAs told me this...why would they turn it off? Does it somehow make their life easier? I must admit, it was some of the worst service I’d had in a long time. They both seemed fairly disintrested in doing their jobs — hung out gossiping in the galleys the entire flight. When I asked for the mid-flight tomato soup one told me they didn’t have it, but then I saw some other pax eating it! Asked the other FA and got it right away.
Pretty bad when you have to play at HUCA in person.
I will report this.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Last month I flew IAH-YYC and the Wifi was down for most of the flight. Was one of the few times I'd have bought it since my Bose headphones were inop and I needed something to do. A brief note fired off to UA resulted in a $50 ETC, which I thought was more than fair.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Wife just returned on a FRA - SFO flight and purchased 3 one hour segs of wi-fi. Worked intermittantly but basically worthless. Called and did get immediate refund. I just stopped using it even on domestic flights.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
ugh I just flew to TPE in the 777-300 and the planes wifi is broken, and when I asked purser what happening he said he looked at the log book and the wifi has not been working for 2 weeks. UGH, does UA do any maintenance?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems UA accepts non-functioning Wifi as a norm. Write to 1kvoice for compensation.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mellon
ugh I just flew to TPE in the 777-300 and the planes wifi is broken, and when I asked purser what happening he said he looked at the log book and the wifi has not been working for 2 weeks. UGH, does UA do any maintenance?
Wow... that would not happen on other airlines. On Delta, for example, I've been notified ahead of time if Wifi wasn't going to work (if they knew about it). Delta gives nothing though if it doesn't work, while UA is generally pretty generous.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
A strange situation on UA78 NRT-EWR yesterday. Entering the GS lounge in NRT, the agent apologized and said the Internet was nor working. At the gate before boarding, the GA announced repeatedly the Internet was not working, though the on-board WiFi was so pax should download the UA app to use the streaming entertainment. Once onboard, the purser announced apologetically that while the streaming WiFi would work, the satellite Internet would not.

After takeoff, I connected to United_WiFi, and logged in with my subscription. The satellite Internet worked from take-off to touchdown, with the best connectivity I've had in months... not even outages when over the northern latitudes. A nice surprise
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by username
It seems UA accepts non-functioning Wifi as a norm. Write to 1kvoice for compensation.
And keep complaining that we actually *need* it! (LH/LX flights almost *always* have it *working*, IME)

Originally Posted by wxguy
After takeoff, I connected to United_WiFi, and logged in with my subscription. The satellite Internet worked from take-off to touchdown, with the best connectivity I've had in months... not even outages when over the northern latitudes. A nice surprise
Probably because everyone was told that it wasn't working - and didn't even try to buy/log in!
wxguy likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I purchased the global subscription prior to visiting TPE/HKG last week. On the outbound to TPE, the WiFi worked for the first two hours and then quit until an hour or so out from TPE. Purser advise they would reset the sergive, though it didn’t seem to help until the landing.
wxguy likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bought a monthly subscription yesterday and on 2/3 of my flights home the wifi was inoperative. The flight crew on one of the planes, a 738, said it had been like that for several days on that plane and there was nothing they could do. Charming.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Had no issues on Sunday (January 6) on UA22 DUB-EWR. WiFi worked just fine throughout minus one short dropout over the tip of Greenland. As usual, I used my VPN and that didn’t affect speed/service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.