Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Wifi is Unusable / Problems Connecting to United_Wi-Fi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by physioprof
Have had WiFi on a transcon flight last Friday and also today.
how strange. i hit five straight. last one, DEN-NRT even had a portable sign about wife-based IFE by the gate. well, flip a coin five times, and they can all come up tails; just rarely.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 1, 2015 at 4:50 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Wifi not working on UA 949 LHR-SFO yesterday. Also, captain announced that Channel 9 would be on, but there was only dead air. And I got smacked in the leg with the screen as it didn't stay in place in my bulkhead seat. But at least the FAs were nice.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; UA 1K
Until recently I found working United wifi to be a rare experience. My last 5 flights I have had an 80 percent success rate with only occasional service interruptions. Still can't count on it but somebody seems to be working on making it better.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by randyqx
last one, DEN-NRT even had a portable sign about wife-based IFE by the gate.

How does that work: you push a button and she spoils the plots of various movies before you watch them?

Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:37 pm

Problems joining United_Wi-Fi

this is not a gripe about united wi-fi service...when i've accessed it, more often than not the service has been about what you'd expect.
but i'm currently maybe 0-8 in just being able to connect to united wifi...and i'm wondering if it could be me..

I'm using mac products, OS's updated. generally a reboot of the wifi has a 50% success ratio...but what puzzled me was on today's flight 4 people around me complained that they couldn't get on wifi either, altho 1 claimed that he was online...

After a reboot, i'm on line. but is there something that I could be messing up? that the other guy claimed he was online suggests so.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
Very similar to my experience. Also using a Mac. Sometimes a reboot fixes it but sometimes simply can not connect at all much less try to purchase service. Have also had occasions where I connected, purchased service, used it for a while but then took a break and could not get back on.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
So the last couple weeks I was having the same issue - here's what was happening: my iPhone would show that I was connected, but when I tried to access united wifi via the app, it would take me to United.com as opposed to unitedwifi.com. United.com wouldn't load. I found that if you opened your browser and typed in unitedwifi.com it would take me to the purchase page and I'd be all set. Mrs. HoyaSFOIAD had the same thing happen to her. Give it a shot
Old Dec 6, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
I've had this issue with Macs all year...well, ever since I started syncing profile data across my Apple devices.

The issue appears to be that once you get on any United_wifi access point, Apple devices remember this and automatically add this to my profile, and hence other devices. So, when I fire up my computer after takeoff, I seem to be connected to wifi but can't access anything, let alone unitedwifi.com. (I'll defer to experts on the root cause, but this is from my observation/experience from using united_wifi since its early days)

The solution that has always worked for me is to:
1. Disconnect from and forget united_wifi on my Mac
2. Turn off wifi
3. Turn on wifi
4. Connect to united_wifi

Good luck..
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
So many times I find that there is wifi but the device wont connect to the signal and I look around to see if anyone else is trying and its the same.
If the crew would reboot the wifi server/computer/equipment before the flight, there wouldnt be any issue. This needs to be in the procedures for flight operation. But the crew arent geeks and often unwilling to even agree to the advice when asked to reboot the box.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Two flights with Wifi yesterday, RDU-IAD (E75) and CMH-ORD (320) and it actually worked well on both flights. I will say, when it works the pricing is far better than on AA or DL.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by PIT_Flyer
I've had this issue with Macs all year...well, ever since I started syncing profile data across my Apple devices.

The issue appears to be that once you get on any United_wifi access point, Apple devices remember this and automatically add this to my profile, and hence other devices. So, when I fire up my computer after takeoff, I seem to be connected to wifi but can't access anything, let alone unitedwifi.com. (I'll defer to experts on the root cause, but this is from my observation/experience from using united_wifi since its early days)

The solution that has always worked for me is to:
1. Disconnect from and forget united_wifi on my Mac
2. Turn off wifi
3. Turn on wifi
4. Connect to united_wifi

Good luck..
To follow up on this, if you are connected (see the wifi bars) but aren't getting anywhere, type in 1.1.2.1 or 1.1.1.1 in your browser. This has worked for me in the past. It's the link to the landing page.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Another trip and another perfect use of Wifi

- RDU-ORD (319): Paid a mere $3.99 to use the Wifi and it worked reliably well, much better than many other flights this year on other airlines.
- EWR-RDU (E70): Wifi this time was through Gogo and it cost $4.99 but still worked very well.

Things seem to be working better, at least on my end.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by BThumme
To follow up on this, if you are connected (see the wifi bars) but aren't getting anywhere, type in 1.1.2.1 or 1.1.1.1 in your browser. This has worked for me in the past. It's the link to the landing page.
Should have tried this on UA 1662 DCA-SFO yesterday--I couldn't get to the sign-in page on either my laptop or my phone. I was very efficient at writing a couple of stories, right up to the part where I had to add links to relevant sites and actually get them on an editor's screen.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Should have tried this on UA 1662 DCA-SFO yesterday--I couldn't get to the sign-in page on either my laptop or my phone. I was very efficient at writing a couple of stories, right up to the part where I had to add links to relevant sites and actually get them on an editor's screen.
I'm sorry that you had trouble with the system on your flight.

When this happens please let us know. We can reset the system which usually fixes the problem and, if that doesn't work, we need to write it up so that maintenance can get it fixed.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:22 am

I used various Wifis on a trip last week:

- United Wifi - RDU-SFO 737-800: Best of the lot. Worked reasonably well for everything I was using. $20 for four hours of usage was also a good price
- Southwest Wifi - WN DAL-MDW 737-700: Nearly unusable. Price at $8 wasn't terrible but the Wifi certainly was. Even Flyertalk loaded really slowly
- Gogo Wifi - DL MDW-MSP-RDU CRJ-900s: Also nearly unusable. Even connecting took an effort sometimes.

I think when United Wifi works, it's the best out there. Or at least that's my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.