Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by bobbrownson
OK, I admit that I am ancient history. I flew over 2 million miles on United before I retired a few years ago. I fly now using the MPMiles in my bank that are mine and that United always encouraged me to amass. So I have now just returned from a vacation trip during which I had 4 United flights. Not once did any member of the gate or flight crew speak to me, no thank you for your 20 years of loyalty, no welcome aboard MillionMiler, no recognition of any sort.

Now really, I am not so fragile as to have expected the Captain to make an announcement but just a nice "hello"? Maybe? Time was not so long ago when the Captain and Purser would both speak to me. Just a small gripe but it does signify that nobody cares anymore.

Sad, United once ranked in the top tier with International airlines, at least on the trans Pacific runs. I do have some good memories but they are from long ago.
What? You weren't met at the door by the orange vested WalMart greeter?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:22 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
3 for 20 including today's flight on CPUs but I fly heavy hub to hub at the moment.
2 for 9 for me and I'm a 1K in DEN. The number of folks in the Group 1 line is incredible and the number of GS is almost as startling.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
What's crazy is that Delta is doing the opposite in almost every situation, and is destroying United in every metric, and in profit , yet no one at UA seems to have the wherewithal to notice what's going on..
Do the Houston crew or the Board really have no idea what's happening to this airline? It just seems to be getting worse and worse. I'm DEN-based so my choices are limited but United certainly no longer has my loyalty the way it did when I first hit 1K or 1MM.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by tom911
Maybe because it's not happening there. I've cleared 23 of 25 AA domestic upgrade requests since January 1 (92%) and was at 91% last year (40/44) . Are UA 1K flyers from SFO doing as well?
I cleared 19/20 last year (mostly TATL, but including flights to ORD, BOS, PDX, and SEA) out of SFO. I realize that domestic upgrade rates have dropped however (based on anecdotal evidence on this board)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
I have been updating diditclear.com and my hub to hub CPU numbers are going to tank the percentage of cleared CPU's for routes I am flying. Dismal. Personally I think UA handed out too many GS invitations. But that's me. Thinning that herd would make a slight difference but GS should be 75K plus with at least 4 RT internationals a calendar year.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Goodbye, United.

Agreed on the GS. Contrary to belief on here, significantly more GS are comped status than earned by flying or money status.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I have been updating diditclear.com and my hub to hub CPU numbers are going to tank the percentage of cleared CPU's for routes I am flying. Dismal. Personally I think UA handed out too many GS invitations. But that's me. Thinning that herd would make a slight difference but GS should be 75K plus with at least 4 RT internationals a calendar year.
I'm not sure folks think Intl travel makes a traveller so desirable. My "prasm" on intl is less than half my domestic prasm on either UA or DL. I know which business I would want. I could be an outlier though...buying discount biz intl, YBM domestic
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Personally I think UA handed out too many GS invitations. But that's me. Thinning that herd would make a slight difference but GS should be 75K plus with at least 4 RT internationals a calendar year.
Agree, BIS or dollars spent for status please! Although, even at SFO I don't see hoards of GS (except to/from FRA for some reason!)
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I know this is the "Goodbye" thread but I think I will say "goodbye, until you change your ways". I am currently sitting in the DFW United club (on an AA ticket) and all I can say is that I am moving my business back to AA. I left for CO in 2010 due to bad IRROPS handling at AA and crummy planes. The astonishing thing is that AA has truly stepped up their game and now feels "refreshing" compared to the doom and gloom that has become UA. Now I am trepid to go all in, but UA lost its way. I come from the CO side, but even looking beyond the gripes from pmUA folks, it was good and was ahead of AA at the time. I feel the current leaders don't know what to do and think "shrinking to profitability" is the answer: I disagree. The most telling is that when in the Skylink all i saw was UA express (no mainline) next to all the AA mainline (hub of course) AS, DL, and Frontier aircraft. It saddens me to say this as I really thought they would right the ship, but when UA thinks everyone will shrink all they do is get bigger with better amenities.

Now I truly wish UA will correct its ways, but at this stage I now realize that UA is not listening and I will be switching my travel to AA (when possible). As I said I used to fly AA quite often and I know the baggage it comes with, but the way UA has truly sunk is saddening. Safe travels to all.

Halo117
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by Halo117
I know this is the "Goodbye" thread but I think I will say "goodbye, until you change your ways". I am currently sitting in the DFW United club (on an AA ticket) and all I can say is that I am moving my business back to AA. I left for CO in 2010 due to bad IRROPS handling at AA and crummy planes. The astonishing thing is that AA has truly stepped up their game and now feels "refreshing" compared to the doom and gloom that has become UA. Now I am trepid to go all in, but UA lost its way. I come from the CO side, but even looking beyond the gripes from pmUA folks, it was good and was ahead of AA at the time. I feel the current leaders don't know what to do and think "shrinking to profitability" is the answer: I disagree. The most telling is that when in the Skylink all i saw was UA express (no mainline) next to all the AA mainline (hub of course) AS, DL, and Frontier aircraft. It saddens me to say this as I really thought they would right the ship, but when UA thinks everyone will shrink all they do is get bigger with better amenities.

Now I truly wish UA will correct its ways, but at this stage I now realize that UA is not listening and I will be switching my travel to AA (when possible). As I said I used to fly AA quite often and I know the baggage it comes with, but the way UA has truly sunk is saddening. Safe travels to all.

Halo117
I agree. After just flying AA in 4 paid F/I segments, I really didn't know what I was missing. Now that I am Gold for life on UA, I am switching all my paid F/I to AA. I will probably continue to use UA for just SFO-HNL and SFO-MGA (with a leaning towards CM). The Admirals Clubs are nice, AA planes clean with comfy new seats, wifi, much better catering...etc... UA REALLY needs to clean up it's act as it is sorely WAY WAY behind AA and DL. Got 6 more GPU's to burn then I will do a challenge on AA. Hasta UA.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:41 pm

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I can't believe that I am writing this. I was so loyal to UA for so long.

Today, I got a AAdvantage Citi MasterCard offer in the mail. Normally, I would have trashed it without looking at it. The offer is currently sitting on my desk. I am thinking about it! Why?

1. Everything that has been stated about the decline of United and its demoralized employees and formerly loyal customers.

2. Even if I continue to fly United, I have already decided to close out my Mileage Plus Chase VISA when it comes up for renewal. The cost is not worth it since it provides basically the same perks for a fee that I get as a lowly Million Miler.

3. IF (and it is a BIG IF) the new American continues to improve and honor their loyalty commitments, the combined miles from my US and AA accounts, plus the credit card miles and perks, would be attractive. Imagine, perks and recognition!

As I said, I can't believe that I am even thinking about this, but as I have stated before, the road that United has chosen is a two way street. If the company needs to get its financial house in order by cutting back and eliminating loyalty incentives, I can look at where I am spending my finances to.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I predict a lot more regulars are going to be joining this thread (on the departing UA side) after the new absurdly restrictive enforcement of carry-on baggage rules goes into effect.

It will be an easy call to switch my domestic flights to WN given that I never get CPUs on UA flights and WN has a better on-time record to boot. For international I will shift back to LH which will soon have horizontal lie flat business class throughout the fleet.

It does amaze me how SMI/J never runs out of new ideas for annoying his elites.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I'm right behind you. I'm taking myself, and as I book the travel for the other 11 in our team, I am taking them to AA also. I spent a few hundred thousand on UA last year across our team. This company doesn't care, and truthfully despite the continuing exodus of general passengers and elites, they continue (to this day) to go in the wrong direction. I'm hopeful that as Million milers and current 1K (12 years running) that AA will do a Ex Plat match for us.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by Boraxo
It will be an easy call to switch my domestic flights to WN given that I never get CPUs on UA flights and WN has a better on-time record to boot.
I was with you until the WN has a better on-time record. That is not correct.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...onths-row.html
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kettle1
I was with you until the WN has a better on-time record. That is not correct.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...onths-row.html
That's comparing main line to main line, add the RJs and the picture changes dramatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.