Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: CO Plat, AA GLD
FREEDOM!!!

Part of the reason I have stuck so strongly with United over the past couple of years is that my wife is a Global Service member. While it's not strictly necessary for us to be on the same FF program, there was a certain sense to it.

Well, she just left her job today for one that will require some travel, but significantly less than in prior years.

I don't know if I'll leave UA completely but I'm finally free to really consider it and not just talk about it...Already at 50k for the year hitting (much heavier than average Q1 for me)...might try Delta for the next few flights. They have lie flat NYC-SEA vs. UA that doesn't even have wifi or IFE on that route. The possibilities!

---N.B. Happy that I'll see my wife more often too--
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis Pres
Flying UA this year mainly to use up my GPUs. Once I reach platinum, it's over between me and UA. Planning status match with AA Jan 2015. Once you give me a reason to come back, I will. Jan 2015: no more UA, no more use of 2 Chase cards, no more United Club. Bye, and thanks for the Milanos!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:22 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Dear United 1k Voice:

I am kokonutz, MP# xyz. My wife is I012609, MP# zyx.

Thank you for comping both me and my wife from Platinum/million miler status to 1K status for approximately 3 months this winter based on our buying first class USAirways tickets last year. After ending our loyalty to United after 15 and 10 years as 1Ks respectively, we thought it was great that you were trying to win our paid premium class business back.

I wanted to let you know why we will not be coming back to total loyalty to United Airlines.

Today (2/18/14) my wife and I were on paid business class tickets SAL-IAH-DCA. We could have taken a nonstop SAL-IAD for the same price in first class on TACA. Had you not comped us 1K status we would have taken the nonstop on TACA based on our experiences ever since United and Continental merged. But we figured: hey, United comped us 1K status. We’ll get special treatment. Let’s go ahead and connect through Houston.

United 1541 IAH-DCA had 12 FC seats on a former Continental 737 with 3 rows in F.

Sitting in 2A and B, the flight attendant was taking orders for dinner and got to us and said that, of the cheeseburger or cold chicken salad, only cold chicken salad was available.

My wife asked: ‘How do you prioritize meal order? Just curious.’

Flight Attendant: ‘Unfortunately I have to go by Mileage Plus status. So sorry. They only gave us 5 cheeseburgers. And I don’t have any left.’

‘Interesting,’ my wife says, ‘We’re both 1ks on paid first class fares.’

FA looks at manifest. Stares at my wife for 5 or 10 seconds, then says, with a dour, bordering on angry attitude, ‘would you like a cheeseburger?’

‘Yes,’ my wife says.

‘And what would you like,’ she said to me with an equally dour bordering on angry attitude.

‘Look,’ I say, ‘I’ll take the chicken salad just to make your life easier since you’ve already promised everyone before us a cheeseburger. But I’m not happy about it.’

When she moved on, my wife and I looked at each other and agreed: next time we buy the TACA nonstop.

United, even as a 1K on a paid business class fare, just doesn’t make sense when the former CO employees won’t even follow SOPs to give full fare 1Ks promised benefits, and instead give us attitude when we insist on them. Why should we pay premium fares for randomly inconsistent service!?

Yeah, you lost us (again) over a cheeseburger. Crazy. But much more than that, you lost us by failing to meet the basic expectations that you set for your ‘top tier’ customers. As buyers of premium class tickets we’ve actually become huge fans of the AA pre-order meal system. Honestly, if it had been between TACA, UA and AA, we’d have done AA even though we have no status on AA. At least then we’d have gotten the dinner we wanted...and without the attitude.

It’s really quite sad. We used to go out of our way to fly UA. Now every time we fly UA in paid business we are disappointed because United consistently fails to meet the expectation it sets for elites.

I'm not seeking compensation or anything like that. Just letting you know why comping us 1K status is not going to bring us back to loyalty to United as we continue to buy business class tickets on every flight. And why we are more likely to fly on AA rather than UA if the business class fares are similar.
Got the reply:

Dear Mr. Nutz:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

I very much regret learning of your disappointment in our performance and welcome the opportunity to address your concerns.

At United Airlines, we believe all customers and co-workers are to be treated with dignity and respect. This philosophy is deeply woven into everything we do. There is never an excuse for unprofessional behavior, and I am very sorry this was your experience of the services received from our flight attendant.

I realize my apology cannot erase what happened, but I hope it helps to know we take your concerns very seriously. It was especially helpful that you were able to supply such a detailed description. Please be assured your comments will be forwarded to appropriate senior management within Inflight Crew Services for internal review and necessary corrective action.

Mr. Nutz, as a Premier 1K members you are one of our most valued customers. It is never our intent to inconvenience our passengers, and I am very sorry your valid expectations were not met. We appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us and the opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience. I do understand the value of your decision to fly with us and assure you we will make every effort to leave you with a better impression when we again have the privilege of serving you. I ask that you accept my apology and allow us that opportunity.

Regards,

Nice Lady
Customer Care Manager
Case File 0000000
As canned apologies go, this one's not bad. This line in particular: "I am very sorry your valid expectations were not met."

Of course, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, won't get fooled again.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I penned my breakup letter a few weeks ago after 3 straight frustrating flights. I never got a response nor did I want one. Here's what I wrote:

Mr. Smisek,

I want you to know that I'm taking my business elsewhere after 7 years as a 1k. You don't respect your passengers,you ruined your loyalty program and you fly way too many RJ'S for me to handle.

I hope your shareholders find the real truth, you want to make money so bad that you're losing it left and right.

Enjoy your narrow, WiFi-less "BusinessFirst" seat at the top. It won't last.

Regards,

nevansm
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by Chevelter
But flyertalk seems like an alternate universe to me because when I fly UA I rarely have any complaints at all. Sure, I get the occasional broken F seat or boarding problem, but nothing that would cause me to vent such vitriol as some of the people here do. I admit that UA isn't what it used to be, but what is?
I used to fly UA to Europe on a regular basis (it was my primary carrier). Beginning in 2012 I started having issues - for example, my flight got altered and I lost my lie-flat seat for an angled seat, with no explanation for why I was rerouted. I have an unusual food allergy (tomatoes) that I informed the FA about. When my breakfast came, it had a tomato as decoration in the center of the breakfast. When I reminded the FA that I am allergic, she then literally scraped it off, including the portion of the other food that was touching the tomato, with her bare fingers. That was just one flight and I can forgive a bad experience.

However, having flown NZ quite a bit to New Zealand and the South Pacific, and always having had a great experience with them, I decided to redirect my European travel to them, even though they only fly LAX-LHR (LAX is out of the way for me but LHR is centrally located to where in Europe I have to go). If I fly BC I am guaranteed a lie-flat bad, if I fly PE I am guaranteed their "space-seat", which I really like. I also decided to start using the NZ Airpoints instead of UA's MP (which I am very glad I did, given that most of my flying is international - I have had 100% success in getting upgrades so far on my international flights).

Recently, I have started to have a lot of problems with domestic flights on United. Last year and this I have had just under 40% of my UA flights (all domestic) delayed to the point of missing a connection or cancelled (8 out of 21 segments). Yes, they were usually able to find alternate arrangements for me, usually on other airlines. But that is how I realized how much more reliable those other carriers are than UA. This does not include how often UA have changed my itinerary to new flight times. Summing it up, I now cannot trust that UA will get me to LAX to meet my NZ flights on time. Even though I earn NZ Airpoints and AirDollars by flying UA, I am strongly considering ending my reliance on UA domestic flights. I just cannot trust them to get me where I need to go by when I need to be there. And that is not a good marketing slogan.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by SeaProf
This does not include how often UA have changed my itinerary to new flight times.
Consider yourself lucky that at least UA will automatically rebook you. Since they've been flying under a single carrier system, I have not once been automatically rebooked even when there was availability on the next flight. Each time that my flight was cancelled, I had to do the last minute shuffle on my own. I miss pmUA deeply. The people and the IT were so much more proactive.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by nycua1k
Consider yourself lucky that at least UA will automatically rebook you. Since they've been flying under a single carrier system, I have not once been automatically rebooked even when there was availability on the next flight. Each time that my flight was cancelled, I had to do the last minute shuffle on my own. I miss pmUA deeply. The people and the IT were so much more proactive.
I meant in advance - sometimes months in advance of my flight because they had altered their flight schedules (this was a common occurrence for me in 2012 and 2013). With the rebookings or changes due to cancelled flights or delays, I have mostly had a good experience with UA (although a few weeks ago it took me longer to go from SEA to ABQ than it does to go to southern NZ, after a flight was cancelled).
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by bburrito
I dont get a lot of the whining. I just made 1K literally today, and have been Platinum for most of the year. I have found UAs service to be pretty darned good, particularly at the United Club service desks.

Recent customer service experiences include:
1. Being 1 hour late for flight because I slept through my alarm. I got rebooked and was given a 1st class upgrade at no charge. I got to my destination at the same time as my original scheduled flight.
2. Coming home my connection into IAH was late due to weather. I arrived in IAH 45 minutes late and there was no way I was getting home that night. I was booked into first class the next morning and I was still given a hotel voucher despite the delay being weather related.
3. Needed to escape a city prior to a huge storm coming in. I showed up at airport 3 days before my scheduled departure date. Explained the situation and I was rebooked on the next flight out of town with no change fees.

My experience has been good and status does count.

It seems to me everybody is just whining because they dont get as many free FC upgrades. If it happens, great. If it doesnt... Economy+ really isnt that bad.
Hm...And there is world peace and Putin and Obama holding hands dancing to the tune of We are the World. I'm happy for your good fortune. Hopefully some of that would rub off on to me.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Got the reply:

As canned apologies go, this one's not bad. This line in particular: "I am very sorry your valid expectations were not met."

Of course, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, won't get fooled again.
That was a good reply. The one consistency that I've still found with UA is that the folks manning 1KVoice know how to write a sincere response. Too bad they have to apologize so often.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by Baze
Sure hope that angry face is directed at OnePass and not me for not knowing what it was called.
CO stole the OnePass name from Eastern -- if you can believe that.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by halls120
That was a good reply. The one consistency that I've still found with UA is that the folks manning 1KVoice know how to write a sincere response. Too bad they have to apologize so often.
I agree that this particular response was not bad.

I don't agree that UA is consistently good at replying to 1k voice.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-1k-voice.html
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I find it hilarious that anyone would dump UA over a crappy cheeseburger (or lack thereof). LOL!

If food is your biggest concern then you should be flying Virgin for domestic and maybe AF for those TATL flights and NZ for TPAC (love those lamb chops!). But good luck sleeping in those crappy angled AF seats.

Food would be the easiest item for UA to fix. Unfortunately management is not interested in fixing the elite customer experience. And that's the reason you should dump UA.

Originally Posted by SeaProf
Recently, I have started to have a lot of problems with domestic flights on United. Last year and this I have had just under 40% of my UA flights (all domestic) delayed to the point of missing a connection or cancelled (8 out of 21 segments). Yes, they were usually able to find alternate arrangements for me, usually on other airlines. But that is how I realized how much more reliable those other carriers are than UA. This does not include how often UA have changed my itinerary to new flight times. Summing it up, I now cannot trust that UA will get me to LAX to meet my NZ flights on time. Even though I earn NZ Airpoints and AirDollars by flying UA, I am strongly considering ending my reliance on UA domestic flights. I just cannot trust them to get me where I need to go by when I need to be there. And that is not a good marketing slogan.
That's my issue with UA and I predict it will eventually devastate the product. If you can't deliver your passengers on time then you will lose your highly lucrative business travelers. It's just that simple. It is one of the reasons WN was so successful for many years and something that Gordon also grasped immediately when he took over CO.

Last edited by Boraxo; Feb 21, 2014 at 3:33 pm
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
If you think it's fine to get a surly experience when you pay for a premium cabin, then by all means do so. Doesn't mean other people are willing to.

There are a lot of ways to handle customer issues without being rude and surly - even if you ultimately have to tell the customer no. Clearly Jeff and his "coworkers" don't get that.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Superguy
If you think it's fine to get a surly experience when you pay for a premium cabin, then by all means do so. Doesn't mean other people are willing to.

There are a lot of ways to handle customer issues without being rude and surly - even if you ultimately have to tell the customer no. Clearly Jeff and his "coworkers" don't get that.
I don't think it's fine but it is certainly not unique to UA. I've had unpleasant FAs on most airlines including BA, WN, AA, LH.

It is odd that UA doesn't put their best FAs in the premium cabins but that's a result of bad contract negotiations. Most businesses assign their best people to their most important accounts and projects. Again not unique to UA. I don't know how easy that will be to fix - the last thing UA needs is more labor strife.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don't think it's fine but it is certainly not unique to UA. I've had unpleasant FAs on most airlines including BA, WN, AA, LH.

It is odd that UA doesn't put their best FAs in the premium cabins but that's a result of bad contract negotiations. Most businesses assign their best people to their most important accounts and projects. Again not unique to UA. I don't know how easy that will be to fix - the last thing UA needs is more labor strife.
I agree that it's not unique to UA, but it's been particularly problematic on UA over the last couple years.

Foreign carriers seem to be able to get it right. Even some US airlines tend to have happier FAs, even in Y. It's just a shame that UA can't do something like reward for performance. It's always a pleasure (on any airline) when you get an FA that genuinely likes his/her job and shows it in their service. I used to see that on UA. Sadly, that's now the exception and I'm reminded of that the few times I ventured back to UA because I had to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.