Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I don't think it's fine but it is certainly not unique to UA. I've had unpleasant FAs on most airlines including BA, WN, AA, LH.
I had plenty of rude FAs on pmUA.

And this week I think had a pmCO crew on my CX flight from HKG-NRT (in J) - No service at all for an hour after take-off, then they disappeared into the galley immediately after lunch service, never to reappear.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: MYOB
It's like a sad country song....
How can we miss you... if you won't LEAVE????
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
As a customer I've had enough

I've been positive (tried too) with UA. I'm also an investor who has done well with my DL stock but I like UA (maybe the old UA) because of (yes) the network. I've maintained gold with my international travel but I'm done. I have a UC up for renewal and now must decide for 2014 to do my usual paid J on UA or LH to maintain gold but also to get good connections in Asia or E but have decided no. No to travel and no to UC renewal. And no to buying the stock. What is this email tonight saying know where to put your bag? I know this is all old news to FT people. Have tolerated service cut backs, fewer F seats than DL or AA, 50% for gold on miles flown, inadequate wifi. I see DL pushing innovation and solid service levels while the new AA/US are doing an OK job but let's see. But UA, I AM THE PAYING CUSTOMER AND DO NOT APPRECIATE BEING ORDERED HOW TO HANDLE MY LUGGAGE AS YOU HAVE SAID TO ME TONIGHT. Ok I've had my say. Everyone have a great evening. Spring will be here soon.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by SeaProf
When I reminded the FA that I am allergic, she then literally scraped it off, including the portion of the other food that was touching the tomato, with her bare fingers.

Isn't that some sort of health code violation?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
My impact is going to do a status challenge with AA and give them a try..after 35+ loyal years as an elite, my patience has worn too thin...not that UA or anyone will care!

the other man's grass may or may not be greener!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:17 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by boss315
the other man's grass may or may not be greener!
The grass may be greener on the other side, but both sides have the same cow patties.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:38 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Just to be clear (I hope my email was), my beef (pun intended) is not with being denied the cheeseburger. It is with the inability of Smisek's UA to deliver what it promises on a consistent basis.

When I buy FC tickets on AA they promise I will be able to order a meal in advance and 100% of the time I can. When I buy FC tickets on US they promise I will get a meal on a flight more than 3.5 hours and 100% of the time I can. Different expectations, but the expectations set are the expectations met.

But when I buy a FC ticket on UA they promise my 1k status will ensure me the meal of my choice. But only if the FA feels like it. And when the FA is called on it, rather than apologizing we get attitude.

This on the heels of 2 LHR-IAD GF award tickets where we were randomly downgraded from GF to 2 middle of four business class seats.

On the heels of misconnects 2 out of the last 4 times I have ended up on UA.

On the heels of losing my promised lifetime million miler benefits.

On the heels of upgrades being sold out from under elites for ToDs on offers not even made to elites.

Doing business with a company one cannot trust is frustrating. Particularly for premium cabin prices. I'll avoid United (again) in the future whenever I can, until (if) it gets its act together.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Just to be clear (I hope my email was), my beef (pun intended) is not with being denied the cheeseburger. It is with the inability of Smisek's UA to deliver what it promises on a consistent basis.

When I buy FC tickets on AA they promise I will be able to order a meal in advance and 100% of the time I can. When I buy FC tickets on US they promise I will get a meal on a flight more than 3.5 hours and 100% of the time I can. Different expectations, but the expectations set are the expectations met.

But when I buy a FC ticket on UA they promise my 1k status will ensure me the meal of my choice. But only if the FA feels like it. And when the FA is called on it, rather than apologizing we get attitude.

This on the heels of 2 LHR-IAD GF award tickets where we were randomly downgraded from GF to 2 middle of four business class seats.

On the heels of upgrades being sold out from under elites for ToDs on offers not even made to elites.

Doing business with a company one cannot trust is frustrating. Particularly for premium cabin prices. I'll avoid United (again) in the future whenever I can, until (if) it gets its act together.
Yes, you do have high standards and little tolerance for mediocrity (which is good)!

When I buy a ticket on UA, I want to fly directly to my destination, take off on time, land safely, and be served adequately at check in, at the gate, and on the plane.

With my expectations, I end up satisfied more often than not.

UA greatly exceeded these expectations on my last trip. Flew into the heart of the storm in EWR (OK, we were a day later) and home EWR-SFO without a hiccup. Bulkhead window both ways - the new 1K section. If you sit in the first couple of rows, they have not run out of any food items yet so you have your choice.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

I get it.

But just to be picky, I don't believe first choice of meal in F is a published, let alone "promised" 1K benefit. We know here on FT that it's supposed to be policy, but it's not a published benefit.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:46 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Kacee
I get it.

But just to be picky, I don't believe first choice of meal in F is a published, let alone "promised" 1K benefit. We know here on FT that it's supposed to be policy, but it's not a published benefit.
ok.

But it's their policy. They set it. But don't comply with it.

If I did that to a customer I would lose him or her. <shrug>
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:45 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood

I think this is one of the most well-written/articulated posts about UA and the lack of customer service that I've read in a long time on this board. It's not emotional; it's not a DYKWIA post; it's a point-by-point of disappointments that have been experienced by the customer. My favorite is that any other industry if you treated your customer this way you definitely would NOT have that customer for long. Thank you for posting such a rational post; very refreshing to read!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I think 99 out of 100 people reading your excellent letter will get it. They know that when a company you have a long relationship makes mistakes you cut them some slack. But when they don't fix it, and the problems keep happening, and worse, when the problems seem to come from conscious decisions by management, then at some point there is a break point. Rarely is it that incident/event, rather its the cumulative impact of bad service.

While certain folks on this board, who see no evil in United and are happy to see jeff sticking it to the over "entitled folks" who have higher status then they actually do may not recognize it, and Jeff would not recognize it, I am sure that the person at United who gets your letter will understand, most folks I have talked to at United seem to, they are just powerless to fix it.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:21 am

^^ Your note to 1KVoice was one of the best descriptions of post-merger UA I've read.

Originally Posted by spin88
While certain folks on this board, who see no evil in United and are happy to see jeff sticking it to the over "entitled folks" who have higher status then they actually do may not recognize it, and Jeff would not recognize it, I am sure that the person at United who gets your letter will understand, most folks I have talked to at United seem to, they are just powerless to fix it.
On a flight last year in domestic F, I was offered cereal or a Jeff Mc Muffin. I said "cereal, but I was hoping for the omlet" and no sooner did those words come out of my mouth the purser said softly but firmly "please complain to management - they won't listen to us."

The front line employees know what Jeff and his sycophants are doing to their airline, and they don't like it any more than we do.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:30 am
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

When I buy a ticket on UA, I want to fly directly to my destination, take off on time, land safely, and be served adequately at check in, at the gate, and on the plane.

With my expectations, I end up satisfied more often than not.
Exactly! The problem is, when I buy a ticket on UA, I end up on UAX with a connection on another UAX flight (even through a UA hub), both of which are late more often than not, and service on the RJ leaves much to be desired, in in their so called F section.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by UATexasFlyer
The grass may be greener on the other side, but both sides have the same cow patties.
Nice. ^^^

I'm still reading a rant about domestic food, misconnects on 2 flights, and the usual whining that UA doesn't meet your needs. So fly someone else. It's quicker to book on another site than post on FT ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.