Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
TOD certainly exist plenty on AA. As a kettle when I fly on them, I almost always purchase them . More often than not, it's significantly cheaper to do the TOD than pay for two bags and buy a good seat. Same with when I fly DL and when I flew US Airways. It only seems bad on UA because they seem to rub it in your face and the general attitude at UA, but it certainly happens at all of them.
Not true: AA only sells its version of TOD upgrades after it has cleared upgrade requests for EXP, PLT and GLD members.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
I know, I feel like it's:
"Would you like to spend $109 to upgrade to first class",
NO
"Oh, how about $79"
NO
"$59 ??"
NO
"How about double miles, free bags for life, sex with a live monkey and and upgrade for $9.99?"
OK

Plane goes out with 37 1K members in coach
I am still rolling on the floor with this one...god, my life would have no humor in it if not for things like this! (pretty sad, huh?)
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
NO
"Oh, how about $79"
NO
"$59 ??"
NO
"How about double miles, free bags for life, sex with a live monkey and and upgrade for $9.99?"
OK

You, sir, win FlyerTalk for today! Bravo.

I'm suddenly saddened that DL has yet to offer me relations with a primate, as an up-sell perk. (Though their new safety video does, at least, imply that you might get the opportunity to snuggle with Alf... )
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Not true: AA only sells its version of TOD upgrades after it has cleared upgrade requests for EXP, PLT and GLD members.
Yes. I sure am not hearing elites on AA complaining that their upgrade rates have plummeted like elites on UA.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
NO
"Oh, how about $79"
NO
"$59 ??"
NO
OK

This offer is only for no-status pax.

If you're a 1K, the monkey has sex with you.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:57 pm
Suspended

TOD certainly exist plenty on AA. As a kettle when I fly on them, I almost always purchase them . More often than not, it's significantly cheaper to do the TOD than pay for two bags and buy a good seat. Same with when I fly DL and when I flew US Airways. It only seems bad on UA because they seem to rub it in your face and the general attitude at UA, but it certainly happens at all of them.
Interesting post comparing SQ Y meals favorable over UA BF

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...ifference.html
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I sure am not hearing elites on AA complaining that their upgrade rates have plummeted like elites on UA.
Maybe because it's not happening there. I've cleared 23 of 25 AA domestic upgrade requests since January 1 (92%) and was at 91% last year (40/44) . Are UA 1K flyers from SFO doing as well?
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
Maybe because it's not happening there. I've cleared 23 of 25 AA domestic upgrade requests since January 1 (92%) and was at 91% last year (40/44) . Are UA 1K flyers from SFO doing as well?
Now THAT's funny!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are UA 1K flyers from SFO doing as well?
100% for me for 8 segments. 2 were connecting flights, but still 6/6 for flights to/from SFO.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:28 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I sure am not hearing elites on AA complaining that their upgrade rates have plummeted like elites on UA.
Bad start to the year for me. I've missed 4 CPUs so far and its only February.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11B651 Safari/9537.53)

Bad start to the year for me. I've missed 4 CPUs so far and its only February.
3 for 20 including today's flight on CPUs but I fly heavy hub to hub at the moment.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 10:22 pm
Suspended

While many on the AA side have the same type of excellent success you are, flying from key hubs such as DFW or ORD on heavy business routes such as LGA, DCA, LAX at peak periods I recall a number of folks who were seeing their upgrade percentages drop.

A fairer to your success at a major UA hub such as SFO would be a a UA flier based in CLT, MIA or DFW.

Also as a leisure flier you have quite a bit more discretion. That said, clearly being an AA EXP as a generalization is the best status for upgrades if scanning these forums.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Farewell my friend and good luck with your carrier(s). Your handle will forever be connected with RAR! It lives on in infamy in the #1 position on my list of the best posts ever!

n00bs know nothing of the days of fun with Ted and lemonade and the love of the Tulip. {sigh}. But there are those of us who do.
Sigh... memories! But I gave a voice to Ted and, with Lori_Q, tried to save our beloved Tulip. Now I'm collecting ceramic houses full of gin on KLM and enjoying operational upgrades on BA. Life *is* greener when you have a nearly unlimited travel budget and don't care what airline you're on.

TED wish knew how good had it.

Timothy

We will always be friends in RAR!
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key UA 1K
Looking at 2013 I was 100% on AA on 200+ segment and the best part is I was also 100% on Overseas I have saved $100,00+ Buying the cheapest fare on AA rather than playing UA W class lottery. and used another 20 or so of the free upgrades that the AA rep leaves at the office.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 2 Million, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
You don't know me anymore!

OK, I admit that I am ancient history. I flew over 2 million miles on United before I retired a few years ago. I fly now using the MPMiles in my bank that are mine and that United always encouraged me to amass. So I have now just returned from a vacation trip during which I had 4 United flights. Not once did any member of the gate or flight crew speak to me, no thank you for your 20 years of loyalty, no welcome aboard MillionMiler, no recognition of any sort.

Now really, I am not so fragile as to have expected the Captain to make an announcement but just a nice "hello"? Maybe? Time was not so long ago when the Captain and Purser would both speak to me. Just a small gripe but it does signify that nobody cares anymore.

Sad, United once ranked in the top tier with International airlines, at least on the trans Pacific runs. I do have some good memories but they are from long ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.