Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by kettle1
I was with you until the WN has a better on-time record. That is not correct.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...onths-row.html
I stand corrected!

Though I bet WN has a better on time record from OAK than UA does from SFO, which are the airports that matter most to me.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I'm not sure folks think Intl travel makes a traveller so desirable. My "prasm" on intl is less than half my domestic prasm on either UA or DL. I know which business I would want. I could be an outlier though...buying discount biz intl, YBM domestic
DL clearly seems to have read my post last night.....
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
DL clearly seems to have read my post last night.....
Yeah...DL is the LAST airline I thought i would ever consider being loyal to.

But as someone who buys premium fares both on my and OPM, I am sure looking hard at them right now!

Thing is, now that I have gone free agent, the notion of locking myself into a single airline seems so limiting....
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I'm right behind you. I'm taking myself, and as I book the travel for the other 11 in our team, I am taking them to AA also. I spent a few hundred thousand on UA last year across our team. This company doesn't care, and truthfully despite the continuing exodus of general passengers and elites, they continue (to this day) to go in the wrong direction. I'm hopeful that as Million milers and current 1K (12 years running) that AA will do a Ex Plat match for us.
Add me to the list,although my exodus began last year. I only had 40k EQM last year and will have less this year.
Have already cancelled one UA cc and the second one is going next month. If I ever need UA miles, I will transfer from CSP.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by freeflyin
Add me to the list,although my exodus began last year. I only had 40k EQM last year and will have less this year.
Have already cancelled one UA cc and the second one is going next month. If I ever need UA miles, I will transfer from CSP.
I cancelled two UA cards yesterday. Not one peep about retention from Chase. They just said OK. I asked if they had many people canceling and they said yes. I didn't ask for specifics
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K x6yrs, Ex-AAExecPlat, Delta 360, Mariott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AMEX Centurion, Avis First
Got my AA Executive Platinum via a UA GS status match earlier this week ... I've flown about 6 segments as a kettle on AA since leaving UA and gifting my miles to CRS ... So far the AA experience has not been bad at all - aside from having to learn the ropes and routes of the AA website ... AA main cabin crews seem happier than UA F FAs and service *in the main cabin* is on par with F on UA, food is decent"er" to equivalent, planes are *definitely* cleaner on the inside (seem older on the outside) ... will report out when I have more F segments under my belt for an apples:apples comparison ... its a shame, if UA only had paid more than lip service to "my loyalty", AA would never have received my or my company's business
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I asked if they had many people canceling and they said yes.
Did you ask if many people are filling out new applications?
The marketing behind the cards is huge to the general (less knowing) public. There is no way more people are cancelling than signing up.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:39 am

Thumbs down United biting the hand that feeds them . . . . DUH!

My story is slightly different . . .

First off, the mileage program has been seriously devalued. For instance, 200,000 miles didn't go far when booking the family on BOI-GRB-BOI a year or so ago. The only way to get a guaranteed 'normal' seat is to use what amounts to double miles. Go the other route and you can use less miles, but there is 'no availability', plus they're fill their empty seats by sending you around the country on a quite lousy itinerary.

Then when taking a Washington Dulles to Denver flight and thinking there wouldn't be enough overhead bin space for my loaded camera bag, I asked a flight attendant for the 'jetway service' whereby they have it waiting as you get off at the other end. Of course, being a larger plane they don't offer that, so she scribbled on a piece of paper, and had the bag checked. I realize now that checking my camera bag was my own ‘duh’ moment, but one expects that the airlines are going to do their utmost to protect their client property.

I had a carbon copy with a tracking number, but the bag never made it out of Dulles. Well, actually it did, but probably in the company of an airport employee. On another note, perhaps the airport with the most thefts could be the subject of another thread!

United never once apologized, and gave me the runaround for 6 whole months. That plus my time spent researching new gear, and the cost of purchasing said equipment.

So, here comes the amazing bit . . . the full value of my equipment was $6,300 plus. My United compensation? A $54 check, and 1600 miles! WOW! Of course the miles cost United NOTHING as they toss you about putting you into empty seats.

Now if they'd have just given me the miles value to match the equipment value, United would have been $10,500 richer today, because that is how much I've spent on OTHER airlines since this all happened.

Of course, I remind Smisek of this via direct email once in a while but for some reason he never responds, LOL!

What he should realize is that you should never bite the hand that feeds you, i.e. over $100,000 in flight tickets since 1989.

United = DUH!

As to who I fly now? . . . the lowest price and the least stressful itinerary wins every time.

Last edited by travelimages; Feb 28, 2014 at 12:32 pm
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
UA

I'm a 12 year 1K, 2MM based in SEA and fly twice a month to DC. Last year I flew 42K on United. Service is deteriorating noticeably. Very poor attitude. Many planes now have no AVOS for transcons even.
There are two issues for me: it is extremely difficult to make a dinner meeting in downtown DC on UA bc I have to leave on their 6:00 a.m.to ORD and take my chances in ORD. About 25% of the time I had a problem in ORD, and getting up at 3:30 a.m. to make the early flight was not fun. AS has a nonstop to DCA leaving at 8:00 a.m arriving at DCA at 4:00. I've done that flight three times this year already (They sort of matched my status Gold MVP) and it's been an early arrival each time. They have Wifi on virtually all of their flights and you can rent (free in F) a did corder to watch a zillion movies. When I arrive, I have time even to work out before the dinner meeting.
My DC meetings end at noon Sunday. UA has cancelled most of their flights to SEA during the afternoon and early evening from ORD to SEA. You can wait 5 or 6 hours in ORD until 8:00 p.m. for the connection from ORD. But even the new clubs at ORD are disappointing. Last weekend I flew UA: DCA-ORD-SFO-SEA - 12 hours to get home. I won't go that again. I will probably wait for the 6:40 AS nonstop flight, make their 75K level by mid-summer and be virtually guaranteed upgrades - and it's a nice touch that the AS FAs ask all MVP Golds in COACH if they would like a cocktail (Too early for me so far). UA flight attendants and phone CSRs could take valuable lessons from the AS equivalents. It's like night and day. My two international trips will be on KLM and KOR as they award elite status credit to AS, as does AA and Delta.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by smorris76

... Looking forward to being able to fly ORD-SJC. Looking forward to mainline service to DFW. Looking forward to Wifi being available on most flights. Looking forward to only having to fly 50,000 miles. As it stands on UA, they've almost completely devalued Gold. I don't want to fly 50k miles per year to board with credit card holders. Looking forward to a 100% mileage bonus. All of this could fall apart in the US merger, but I might as well ride it out and see how it goes. I don't think there's anyway it will be worse than UA in the interim. I'm also looking forward to getting 500 milers again. As a 1K last year I was 9/25 on domestic upgrades.

^+1 and similar reasons I went AA last year. For SJC Not sure if you took the DEN connect or flew non stop to SFO, but saving the $200 RT on car service needed to get to/from SFO is a further bonus and the AA flight times now seem better than what recall when they both flew the route (UA always had better flight times from what I remember).
Old Feb 28, 2014, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelimages
My story is slightly different . . .

First off, the mileage program has been seriously devalued. For instance, 200,000 miles didn't go far when booking the family on BOI-GRB-BOI a year or so ago. The only way to get a guaranteed 'normal' seat is to use what amounts to double miles. Go the other route and you can use less miles, but there is 'no availability', plus they're fill their empty seats by sending you around the country on a quite lousy itinerary.

Then when taking a Washington Dulles to Denver flight and thinking there wouldn't be enough overhead bin space for my loaded camera bag, I asked a flight attendant for the 'jetway service' whereby they have it waiting as you get off at the other end. Of course, being a larger plane they don't offer that, so she scribbled on a piece of paper, and had the bag checked. I realize now that checking my camera bag was my own ‘duh’ moment, but one expects that the airlines are going to do their utmost to protect their client property.

I had a carbon copy with a tracking number, but the bag never made it out of Dulles. Well, actually it did, but probably in the company of an airport employee. On another note, perhaps the airport with the most thefts could be the subject of another thread!

United never once apologized, and gave me the runaround for 6 whole months. That plus my time spent researching new gear, and the cost of purchasing said equipment.

So, here comes the amazing bit . . . the full value of my equipment was $6,300 plus. My United compensation? A $54 check, and 1600 miles! WOW! Of course the miles cost United NOTHING as they toss you about putting you into empty seats.

Now if they'd have just given me the miles value to match the equipment value, United would have been $10,500 richer today, because that is how much I've spent on OTHER airlines since this all happened.

Of course, I remind Smisek of this via direct email once in a while but for some reason he never responds, LOL!

What he should realize is that you should never bite the hand that feeds you, i.e. over $100,000 in flight tickets since 1989.

United = DUH!

As to who I fly now? . . . the lowest price and the least stressful itinerary wins every time.
Sorry for your loss. But UA mainline has never had jetway service for carryons. That is Express flights only. And I hope you learned to never, ever check anything of value. United policy is that they are not liable for high value items in checked bags per the list in the link.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/fragile.aspx
Old Mar 1, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by SilentMonarch

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline?

Bins that fit my luggage correctly on every aircraft, rather than hit or miss on UA.
Surely the problem is not differing size of UA bins but the size of your carry on luggage? If your carry on complies with UA requirements, does it still not fit in the bins (obviously excluding regional jets).
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: HH honors, Mileage Plus, Delta
I am going to eat crow and still fly United for international flights with family. My corporate travel dept would roast me alive if I booked tickets with an infant friendly airline. The cost is extremely high compared to flying on a US carrier.

I will stick with the Devil I know and fly the horrible 747 E+ option for PVG-ORD, then the 737-900 from ORD-BUF. I guess I should feel lucky that I have a non RJ option from ORD-BUF
Old Mar 6, 2014, 4:46 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by ama537621
I am going to eat crow and still fly United for international flights with family.
No need to eat crow. A lot of this leaving UA talk is largely irrelevant, or is all talk not complemented by action, as the topic of the thread infers. I have been on many international flights since this thread started and on most over 80 percent full, some well over 95% full. If people are really leaving UA, I doubt it is in any significant number (or on the contrary there is as much movement towards UA as there is away from it).
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by ani90
No need to eat crow. A lot of this leaving UA talk is largely irrelevant, or is all talk not complemented by action, as the topic of the thread infers. I have been on many international flights since this thread started and on most over 80 percent full, some well over 95% full. If people are really leaving UA, I doubt it is in any significant number (or on the contrary there is as much movement towards UA as there is away from it).
I have enjoyed the crow with some fava beans and a nice Chianti....ssssssssss

They only served the Chianti in half cups,

I've found UA and DL both good for my domestic, but fly UA exclusive for intl due to network

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.