Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
And to think we used to complain about TED!
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1M, AA EXP
After some reluctance, I finally jumped ship from UA to AA. AA was more than willing to give me EXP status given my 1M, 1k status on United. All of my flights this year have been on American (I'm based out of LAX). My observations for those of you considering jumping ship:
1) AA's ground and flight crews are nicer and generally seem happy. I wouldn't mention this, but the contrast to UA after the integration is massive.
2) Every flight I've been on with maybe 1 exception has had wifi. How come every other major carrier (DL, AA, SW, etc.) have their birds equipped with wifi, but UA is massively late to the game???
3) Every aircraft has efficient overhead bins so you can put rollerboards in lengthwise. Not uncommon to find UA equipment that doesn't have those bins.
4) The Admirals Club puts UA's to shame - they are MUCH nicer and less crowded. They have areas for kids to play with toys & video games, showers, power outlets all over the place.
5) I know people have mixed feelings about the gas guzzling super 80's, but they do have 16 first class seats - much rather be on that bird than a United Express flight.

Overall, I've been happy with the AA experience. I am disappointed that I had to leave UA, but new UA management is running the airline into the ground unfortunately.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by kranabargar
After some reluctance, I finally jumped ship from UA to AA. AA was more than willing to give me EXP status given my 1M, 1k status on United. All of my flights this year have been on American (I'm based out of LAX). My observations for those of you considering jumping ship:
What I care most about is upgrades, which are a large part of the frequent flier unfriendly changes at UA, how are those at AA so far?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, million miler, Marriott Platinum, AA
Finally pulled the trigger today, went for the status match to AA. Tried to ride it out, but United has become so penny wise and pound foolish, that I could not tolerate it any longer. Hard to sum up what made me finally pull the trigger, I think just a series of tiny things adding up. We'll see what happens on AA, but at least until UA changes the program, will always have gold status.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by machrochirus
Finally pulled the trigger today, went for the status match to AA. Tried to ride it out, but United has become so penny wise and pound foolish, that I could not tolerate it any longer. Hard to sum up what made me finally pull the trigger, I think just a series of tiny things adding up. We'll see what happens on AA, but at least until UA changes the program, will always have gold status.
Match or challenge?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:28 pm
Formerly known as UATexasFlyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Natl. Car Exec Elite, UA 1MM, *G
Originally Posted by machrochirus
C'mon in, the water's great. ^
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:56 pm

This might be irrelevant but i travel time to time for the us army. My closest airport is EWR and always flown United Airlines and it was the "preferred" airline for the us army in my company.

today i found out that all flights booked in 2014 under government travel is now US Airways =0

if this is correct, there goes my miles and chance to re-qualify for silver or gold this year -.-
Old Feb 17, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: Lawl COVID
Just flew my last United flights last week - BKK-NRT-SFO. Flight went fine, but you can tell it's still a tale of two airlines - one well known PMUA crew resigned to their fate, and another seemingly happy to just be at the party (for those defenders who wanna jump in and say I'm wrong, let me stop you right now - this is my own personal observation, it's probably likely they were both PMUA crews.)

Upper deck was nice as always. But the food is beyond crap, the service, so-so, and the hard product similar. And this is what you get - the bare minimum needed to be considered a global airline. That was fine when you tossed out upgrades like candy to high-tier elites and actually apologized for delays and cancellations. Now that you want people to pay full price, yeah, not so much.

Where next? Well, Cathay is handling my first trip back to Asia. Might try EVA as well, depending on how that goes. Could fall back to Delta if necessary. Don't want to give ANA any money because then Jeffro will get some. Sorry, bad business doesn't deserve business. Europe is wide-open, as is domestic, which will probably be Kayak. I'll try the New American again possibly, but Delta is the only legacy that even remotely has its stuff together. Perhaps even Southwest.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still here?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
Just flew my last United flights last week - BKK-NRT-SFO. Flight went fine, but you can tell it's still a tale of two airlines - one well known PMUA crew resigned to their fate, and another seemingly happy to just be at the party (for those defenders who wanna jump in and say I'm wrong, let me stop you right now - this is my own personal observation, it's probably likely they were both PMUA crews.)

Upper deck was nice as always. But the food is beyond crap, the service, so-so, and the hard product similar. And this is what you get - the bare minimum needed to be considered a global airline. That was fine when you tossed out upgrades like candy to high-tier elites and actually apologized for delays and cancellations. Now that you want people to pay full price, yeah, not so much.

Where next? Well, Cathay is handling my first trip back to Asia. Might try EVA as well, depending on how that goes. Could fall back to Delta if necessary. Don't want to give ANA any money because then Jeffro will get some. Sorry, bad business doesn't deserve business. Europe is wide-open, as is domestic, which will probably be Kayak. I'll try the New American again possibly, but Delta is the only legacy that even remotely has its stuff together. Perhaps even Southwest.
Kindly publish your experience on Cathay. I use the same route (SFO/NRT/BKK) several times a year. I've about had it with UA and now that they've cancelled NRT/BKK and I find my next flight is half on ANA I may actually give up on them. Cathay is one of the options. I like SQ but they're significantly more expensive (about $500 more for Business Class) and the double layover in HKG and SIN make the flight a lot longer. So I'm looking around for other alternatives.

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
I always LOL when people criticize a business in a capitalist economy for trying to maximize revenue.
Plenty of other FTers have no problems with GPU/RPUs so as far as any of them are concerned, they enjoy all the people jumping ship because that just means shorter upgrade lists

Sure UA has gone "downhill" but the time of free perks when flying are long gone with the economy as it is today. They got rid of hot meals in coach a decade ago and everybody today accepts it as reality. In ten years, everyone will also accept these flyer-unfriendly changes as well.
I agree. On top of that, for every post here saying "I'm fed up with United, I'm going to ____(fill in the new airline)" there is one on that airlines forum saying "I"m fed up with _____, I'm going to United".

And the airlines know it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 18, 2014 at 1:17 am Reason: merge
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

I agree. On top of that, for every post here saying "I'm fed up with United, I'm going to ____(fill in the new airline)" there is one on that airlines forum saying "I"m fed up with _____, I'm going to United".
I'm not sure that's true. Neither the DL nor AA forums seem to have nearly as many long-time elites who are saying "that's it, I'm done." The tone of those forums is also considerably less negative than this one. Yes, there are complaints, but unlike here, every thread does not turn into a UA bashing party.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Originally Posted by username
Still here?
Always up for watching a trainwreck in progress.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 5:51 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GodOSpoons
All,

I've been in lurking mode for quite some time now, but in the golden years of United, I was your friend in RAR! After several years of Global Services and another decade as an elite (mostly 1K), I've decided that it's time to break up with the Bingo Cage and spread my aviation seed elsewhere.
Farewell my friend and good luck with your carrier(s). Your handle will forever be connected with RAR! It lives on in infamy in the #1 position on my list of the best posts ever!

n00bs know nothing of the days of fun with Ted and lemonade and the love of the Tulip. {sigh}. But there are those of us who do.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by GodOSpoons
All,

My epiphany came when, after 52 consecutive weeks of flying, over 300K UA EQM and a spend of at least $60K on United 016 and Copa stock (out of $100K on *A carriers last year), United decided a) I wasn't loyal enough of a piggy bank and b) they wanted $15K in travel on their metal by the end of March, an amount I would clearly and gladly spend... if they actually went anywhere I was flying to in their route network or there was availability on the places I am going.

As Global as Global Services sounds, the status no longer matches up with the route network. Sadly, I can't get to where I need to go without their Star Alliance Partners.

And, for any of you United employee lurkers, it's not you. I love the front line employees and Global Services representatives (especially), but I can't envision a way I could spend any more money than I did on your airline given where I live, where I fly, and what I need in 2014. After living through the pilot's strike, the bankruptcy, TED (RAR!), and the merger with Continental, this opaque rejection is finally what I needed to break off this abusive relationship.

I guess, in the land of the Bingo Cage, it really is all about the dolla' dolla' bills, y'all. So I'm taking mine elsewhere. To <gulp> AA.

Your friend in the Bassian Tulip,

Timothy

Of course, if there's someone at United that can *fix* this, I'm happy to reconsider, but given the deafening silence I've received from the GS qualification folks and my travel agent's UA rep, I'm not sure there's a solution. So, RAR!
This reminds me of the reason I left GS and UA a few years ago and have never looked back. AA and OW serve my needs better (and even good into my destinations in China), and the Circle Pacific fares ant other RTW product they offer are better than *A. As a lifer 1K now, I will throw UA a bone every now and then (like today), but ONLY when I have to (being based in IAH) and it will be a dirt, cheap fare. No Premiums for Jeffro and the Houston hillbillies..yee haw!.

Good luck on AA!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by gonezen
And to think we used to complain about TED!
Had we only known then what the RAR! would really become.

Originally Posted by Tchiowa

And the airlines know it.
I could see a disgruntled elite saying "That's it - I'm going to XX." I have a hard time believing ANYONE is jumping to UA.

Ok, well, in any significant numbers. :P I have a hard time believing that UA's customer churning is moving them toward a net increase in customers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 18, 2014 at 10:25 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.