Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How many are REALLY leaving UA? [2014 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:33 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Thats cuz the UA business plan is very simple - they would rather have 10 customers that fly 1-2 times a year, each flying 10K miles on UA then 1 customer that flys 100K miles a year. They don't have to give any Elite benefits to those 10 customers, they get to collect E+ and luggage fees, etc.

Anyone that thinks AA & DL won't follow the exact same model is fooling themselves
This!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: Concorde Connoisseur, ua 1mm
Originally Posted by MPsince1984

My odds are better of getting STPT status (Star Trek Premium Transporter technology) before then.

^ LOL I wish...
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, UA Plat.
About to start a platinum challenge on AA after being Gold, Gold, Gold, 1K, Platinum the last 5 years.

1) What did you like most about fkaUA or fkaCO?

I used to like that UA was clearly one of the best US airlines. I will say last year as 1k I was very successful with my SWUs.

2) What changes have had the greatest negative impact on you?

The airline is just on the wrong track. Declining service levels, way behind the curve on Wifi, too eager to outsource flying, disregard for customer service and on-time performance.

3) What remains about the current UA that makes it hard for you to leave?

Nostalgia mostly. I was also a fan of *A

4) What airlines are you considering switching to? Or kayaking?

AA

5) What benefits / improvements do you expect on your new airline?

Already I was able to book a BA PE seat via aa.com. This is impossible for *A partners on UA afaik. Looking forward to being able to fly ORD-SJC. Looking forward to mainline service to DFW. Looking forward to Wifi being available on most flights. Looking forward to only having to fly 50,000 miles. As it stands on UA, they've almost completely devalued Gold. I don't want to fly 50k miles per year to board with credit card holders. Looking forward to a 100% mileage bonus. All of this could fall apart in the US merger, but I might as well ride it out and see how it goes. I don't think there's anyway it will be worse than UA in the interim. I'm also looking forward to getting 500 milers again. As a 1K last year I was 9/25 on domestic upgrades.

6) What aspects of the new airline make it hard for you to switch to them?

Not much.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K x6yrs, Ex-AAExecPlat, Delta 360, Mariott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AMEX Centurion, Avis First
Goodbye United

After 2MM+ BIS miles, I'm done with United

A brief lag in flying in 2013 resulted in me going from GS>1K status ... GS never really meant that much to me anyway since most of the bene's were eroding and are pointless for me ... the only one of value were the GPUs and RPUs, but waiting for them to "clear" was pointless ... flying from NYC to anywhere you *want* to go means they never clear - too many metals get offered TOCs and United manages its its R fare bucket to maximize revenue to the point that GPUs and RPUs to/from NYC are worthless

I'm not flying to fortress markets anymore so I'm taking my dollars and banking my BIS miles elsewhere - my loyalty was clearly NOT valued

I will be donating my nearly 3.5MM to the Catholic Relief Services once they get the process set up
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by circitmage
A brief lag in flying in 2013 resulted in me going from GS>1K status ... GS never really meant that much to me anyway since most of the bene's were eroding and are pointless for me ... the only one of value were the GPUs and RPUs, but waiting for them to "clear" was pointless ... flying from NYC to anywhere you *want* to go means they never clear - too many metals get offered TOCs and United manages its its R fare bucket to maximize revenue to the point that GPUs and RPUs to/from NYC are worthless
A brief lag shouldn't demote you, as they are thought to take prior years into account. Was the lag down to zero or something? Why not appeal?

I fly often beween ORD and LGA and have never missed an upgrade using RPU. When I haven't used RPU I generally got CPU anyway. I was recently able to apply eight GPU for four of us roundtrip between Chicago and Paris. GPU usually clear for me.

I find GS means a lot to me. To each his own.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM+ - Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Does this mean you are turning down the Premier Platinum (by being 2M Million Miler)?

Don't get me wrong I am a 1M+ flier who really does not see much benefit to flying UA much more since I am Gold forever and the prospects of getting to 2M is very limited.

I now choose airlines based on the plane, flight times and price. Next week I am flying DL to ATL from EWR because I get on a mainline aircraft rather than 50 seater and DL has more flights to choose from.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Nice to donate your miles to charity. With 3.5M miles you could certainly have redeemed some of them on "standard rewards" and got a lot of free F seats out of NYC.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
I always LOL when people criticize a business in a capitalist economy for trying to maximize revenue.
Plenty of other FTers have no problems with GPU/RPUs so as far as any of them are concerned, they enjoy all the people jumping ship because that just means shorter upgrade lists

Sure UA has gone "downhill" but the time of free perks when flying are long gone with the economy as it is today. They got rid of hot meals in coach a decade ago and everybody today accepts it as reality. In ten years, everyone will also accept these flyer-unfriendly changes as well.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ye-united.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eaving-ua.html
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
OP - are you going to Kayak, or have you picked certain airlines to fly? I bet you'll get better service on int'l routes, but curious what your US airline choice will be.

(I'm guessing trying to find a similar new flyer won't be cheaper than keeping this flyer )
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:00 pm

'The God I believe in isn't short of cash (or miles), Mister.'
U2 - Bullet the Blue Sky
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not flying to fortress markets anymore so I'm taking my dollars and banking my BIS miles elsewhere - my loyalty was clearly NOT valued

I will be donating my nearly 3.5MM to the Catholic Relief Services once they get the process set up
Goodbye. And I'm sure Catholic Relief Services will love getting your miles.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Well United will the opportunity to write down your 3.5mm and get a tax break for donating seats to a charity while you get nothing.

Seriously if you want to punish UA, book award tickets.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum

I, from a personal standpoint, and we, from my organization's standpoint, feel as you do...and made the decision to separate ourselves from UA nearly two years ago (after nearly 35 years of having UA as our preferred carrier)...except where it made economic sense...or if the routing was superior. The times we now fly UA only reminds us of why we left! The grass really is greener...and since you live in NYC, you have lots of other options...just as we do here in SoCal.

...and congratulations for your donation...it helps! When we made our decision, we, as an organization, decided to donate nearly 35MM to a local childrens hospital to assist young patients to fly and get treatment that they normally could not receive. United corporate objected at first to the combining of our employee's miles...but the "threat" to go to the media ended that quickly
Old Feb 17, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
If you do decide to donate, and I like Catholic Releif Services, please consider St. Jude Children's Hospital as another worth while charity that really depends on miles. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.