Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Winter Storms Hercules/Ion and Impact to UA's Operations (Travel Waivers Unitl 8 Jan)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mgcsinc
Link to current waivers in effect:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...eptionPolicies

Having difficulty in reaching an agent?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As long as you entered you MP account, any reservation phone number will route you based on your elite status. try this
Twitter @United is another alternative

Current Airport Conditions:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Remember folks: Rather than sitting stuck for days, consider taking a long-distance Amtrak train. They do exist!
Print Wikipost

Winter Storms Hercules/Ion and Impact to UA's Operations (Travel Waivers Unitl 8 Jan)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: 1K
Just boarded plane from ORD to SAT. Lucky to be on one of the flights that wasn't cancelled.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'm on a late flight tomorrow ORD-PHL, hope they have things under control by then.
The plane (a dark 739) is going SAN-EWR-SFO-EWR-LAX-ORD so I'll be keeping an eye on changes.

Last edited by eng3; Jan 2, 2014 at 11:11 am
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by mnmag
I think you need to be patient, as lots of flights have been canceled due to the impending storm (esp. out of the NYC area, but other connections are affected, as well), so lots of other pax needing to be rebooked. GL!
Trying to remain zen.....2hr 50 min on hold...sigh. Flight was cancelled while on hold- Trying twitter...
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by junebug
Trying to remain zen.....2hr 50 min on hold...sigh. Trying twitter...
I called using two different phones and was on hold for over two hours. Finally go through only to be hung up on. Tweeted @united and didn't receive a timely response either. I ended up having to call a foreign office, where I got through quickly, but the agents weren't too competent. Just a bad situation all around.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:36 am

Whew....all done

Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
I called using two different phones and was on hold for over two hours. Finally go through only to be hung up on. Tweeted @united and didn't receive a timely response either. I ended up having to call a foreign office, where I got through quickly, but the agents weren't too competent. Just a bad situation all around.
I feel your pain!

While on hold on one phone- Dialed a second phone using the number listed under my flight cancellation notification when signed in to united.com- while waiting for a twitter response.

Got a twitter response after 1 hr- and was re-booked by twitter rep. JUST after which a united rep answered the second phone call (~30 min total hold time on that one- speedy!) and I confirmed via phone that the changes the twitter rep made were all set. Then ended first united call- where I was still on hold (3 + hrs total)

whew.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: AA - Plat
unable to change reservation online and call center hung-up stating "system problem" ????
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by junebug
I feel your pain!

While on hold on one phone- Dialed a second phone using the number listed under my flight cancellation notification when signed in to united.com- while waiting for a twitter response.

Got a twitter response after 1 hr- and was re-booked by twitter rep. JUST after which a united rep answered the second phone call (~30 min total hold time on that one- speedy!) and I confirmed via phone that the changes the twitter rep made were all set. Then ended first united call- where I was still on hold (3 + hrs total)

whew.
Glad to hear it all worked out!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
so shouldn't you be able to change your affected itinerary online? Other airlines let you do it that way. I mean, 3 +hour wait times is ridiculous.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
United too stingy with storm-related fee waiver

United had ample notice that a major snowstorm was on tap for the east coast. Yet up until at least yesterday, United's had a very ungenerous travel waiver. Its Upper Northeast Snowstorm waiver stated:
  • Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.
  • For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.

This was a very stingy waiver, and for me to change my flight to get out before the snowstorm, more than 24 hours ahead of time, meant I would still have to cough up a hefty fare difference. I would have been happy to get out ahead of the snowstorm, but United made it uneconomic to do so.

United now realizes, after the snowstorm, began, that it was too stingy and has changed its waivers to include fare differences, but it is too late.

I am very unhappy with United's bean counting, which will cause even more congestion and difficulty for travelers, when the snowstorm passes.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Did you actually call a reservations agent and ask for their help rebooking you and get told there would be a fare difference? In my experience, if the request seems logical/reasonable and is going to get you home, agents often apply latitude during these irrops-related situations to rebook you without applying a fare difference. The published travel waiver guidelines are often a minimum guaranteed standard, with better results often available if you ask.

It can be hit-or-miss, though. I got a very sharp, ultra-fast sCO phone agent once who insisted on recalculating and charging the approx. $4 fare difference to turn W->V when I changed travel that had been cancelled due to a horrific New England snowstorm and rebooked 2 weeks into the future.

This approach (first publish "we waive change fees" and then, later, publish "we waive change fees and fare differences" if things get as bad as predicted) has been a standard operating procedure for at least the past year.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Ignore the language of the waiver. It is incoherent and stupid. The vast majority of agents ignore it and give you anything within reason.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:11 pm

preemptively cancelled 48 hours in advance

My flight Jan 03 from LGA to DEN UA561 was cancelled 48 hours before the flight

I am now on a LGA-ORD then to ASE

I am happy contingency plans are being made before the storm hit

if it all goes smoothly I'll be very impressed.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:43 pm

Had booked a standard coach award for my daughter and her friend BOS-IAD-CDG. With the storm there was no way they would make their 90 minute connection. A great 1K CSR managed to find LH saver I class (biz) BOS-FRA-CDG. I got 10,000 miles back and they got an unexpected flight in business class. Thank you UA.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Did you actually call a reservations agent and ask for their help rebooking you and get told there would be a fare difference? In my experience, if the request seems logical/reasonable and is going to get you home, agents often apply latitude during these irrops-related situations to rebook you without applying a fare difference. The published travel waiver guidelines are often a minimum guaranteed standard, with better results often available if you ask.

It can be hit-or-miss, though. I got a very sharp, ultra-fast sCO phone agent once who insisted on recalculating and charging the approx. $4 fare difference to turn W->V when I changed travel that had been cancelled due to a horrific New England snowstorm and rebooked 2 weeks into the future.

This approach (first publish "we waive change fees" and then, later, publish "we waive change fees and fare differences" if things get as bad as predicted) has been a standard operating procedure for at least the past year.
But that's the problem, UA no longer applies logic and reason.

friend of mine is booked on a UA flight for Friday (1/3/14), EWR to LAX. He was told by a UA representative tonight that he could only change his flight once it is cancelled, otherwise he has to pay change fee and difference in ticket price. Is this right or is it the typical UA agent that doesn't know there job?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 3, 2014 at 2:53 am Reason: merge
Old Jan 2, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by mnmag
AFAIK, maybe in the event the flight is cancelled (due to the weather, etc.), otherwise you typically wouldn't get a refund with this waiver.
Does this apply on the return segment of a RT? I flew SFO-EWR last week, and am scheduled to return EWR to SFO on 4th. If this return is cancelled, can I get a refund for that portion of the ticket? I would rather change my plans and use unused value of ticket for a later flight with another destination. Just not sure that is possible.

Anyone been successful at this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.