Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Winter Storms Hercules/Ion and Impact to UA's Operations (Travel Waivers Unitl 8 Jan)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mgcsinc
Link to current waivers in effect:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...eptionPolicies

Having difficulty in reaching an agent?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As long as you entered you MP account, any reservation phone number will route you based on your elite status. try this
Twitter @United is another alternative

Current Airport Conditions:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Remember folks: Rather than sitting stuck for days, consider taking a long-distance Amtrak train. They do exist!
Print Wikipost

Winter Storms Hercules/Ion and Impact to UA's Operations (Travel Waivers Unitl 8 Jan)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: General member, former 1P

Weather waiver posted at united.com for ORD, MSN and MKE:

Chicago Winter Storm

Airports:
Madison, WI (MSN)
Milwaukee, WI (MKE)
Chicago, IL (ORD - O'Hare)

​Original Travel Dates:
December 31, 2013 – January 2, 2014

Final Travel must be completed by:
End of Validity of ticket (one year from date of issue)​​

Flight Changes:
Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.

For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
​​
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: 1K
Departing ORD on 1/2, smart to rebook?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by hookthem
Departing ORD on 1/2, smart to rebook?
Doesn't seem like it will be a bad by Wed / Thurs. There will probably be residual delays but I (personally) would not rebook if I didn't need to.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I just changed my EWR-ORD-PEK flight (heading to ORD tonight and PEK tomorrow) to EWR-DCA/IAD-PEK. Weather in DC looks much better than Chicago. Really happy to have gotten seats last minute. Hotel in Chicago even waived cancellation saying that it was going to be messy and that they understood.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Wish this had posted before I no-showed an unnecessary MR last night
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Wish this had posted before I no-showed an unnecessary MR last night
Pretty sure it did - UA were linking to the waiver 19 hours ago:

https://twitter.com/united/status/417763276966346753
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Oh well. I was distracted preparing for a holiday party. At least it was only a $150 rt.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Switched my CMH-ORD-YVR to CMH-DEN-YVR. Much lighter loads through DEN, better chance of CPU. Plus it's one less Barbie Jet to endure.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: General member, former 1P
Used weather waiver to cancel award ticket

I used the weather waiver to successfully cancel a one-way saver award ticket xxx-ORD-yyy on Jan. 1 with no fee and no redeposit fee to have the miles put back in my account.

The ticket was actually from a year ago, and I'd pushed it back to Jan. 1, 2014 - but then I learned I wouldn't be able to make the trip. So I was looking at paying $125 for the redeposit or eating the loss of 12,500 miles. But I called as a 2P and was able to get the miles redeposited no problem. The agent was in Chicago. Weather waiver worked wonderfully for me in this case.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
Switched tomorrow's XXX-ORD-FRA-XXX to XXX-SFO-FRA-XXX. Bonus is the longer leg on a 744.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 3:35 pm

Here is the latest forecast: http://meteorologicalmusings.blogspo...new-years.html
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL PM
UA Travel Waiver Change Fee not Working

With the bad weather on the East Coast, I've noticed UA have issued a travel waiver for Jan 2-4. I am flying LAX-BOS on the 3rd, and am interested in changing my flight.

When I got to change my flight however, I notice the change fee is still showing despite the "Your reservation may qualify for exception handling" message prior to it. I know I can't get a waiver on SDC fees until T-24, but shouldn't the change fee be waived if I, say, changed date of travel form the 3rd to the 4th?

Thanks for the help, I'm waiting until T-24 anyway to change but was curious if it will require a phone call.

Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
They must have just issued the waiver for the east coast as it was not there last night, maybe not programed yet usually if there is a waiver no change fee shows up. You will probably have to call.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:02 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
They must have just issued the waiver for the east coast as it was not there last night, maybe not programed yet usually if there is a waiver no change fee shows up. You will probably have to call.
Good to know - maybe it'll work with an SDC. The waiver was issued this afternoon I believe.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Good to know - maybe it'll work with an SDC. The waiver was issued this afternoon I believe.
Just call now and within two or three agents you should be able to do anything within reason. United has every incentive to deal with these issues proactively, and good agents will happily do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.