Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Winter Storms Hercules/Ion and Impact to UA's Operations (Travel Waivers Unitl 8 Jan)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mgcsinc
Link to current waivers in effect:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...eptionPolicies

Having difficulty in reaching an agent?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As long as you entered you MP account, any reservation phone number will route you based on your elite status. try this
Twitter @United is another alternative

Current Airport Conditions:

http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Remember folks: Rather than sitting stuck for days, consider taking a long-distance Amtrak train. They do exist!
Print Wikipost

Winter Storms Hercules/Ion and Impact to UA's Operations (Travel Waivers Unitl 8 Jan)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I tried to change my flights through ORD twice online yesterday and kept getting error messages. Then I called and did it over the phone. Got a competent agent the first time, and changed through DEN in <5 minutes.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:59 am
Suspended

NYC (EWR) expects 6-10" of snow Thurs night 1/2 - Fri 1/3 ,Fri will be in the single digits with blowing winds = snow drifts alot higher then 10" Its the Chicago express heading East
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Can I cancel a flight?

If I have a flight through EWR on Jan 4, can I cancel it altogether and get a refund? UA site implies I can delay, but nothing about refund.

Complicating factor is that this is the return of a RT ticket, so not even sure what the value is of the unused portion if I cancel.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by blueman2
If I have a flight through EWR on Jan 4, can I cancel it altogether and get a refund? UA site implies I can delay, but nothing about refund.

Complicating factor is that this is the return of a RT ticket, so not even sure what the value is of the unused portion if I cancel.
Flight Changes:

Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.
For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.

Call and see what you can finagle.

Be aware that you may have to refer them to the "Weather Waiver' as some of them are unaware what it is or if it even is in effect for your cities.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess

This is what the UA site says for this weather waiver:
Flight Changes:

Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.
For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.
AFAIK, maybe in the event the flight is cancelled (due to the weather, etc.), otherwise you typically wouldn't get a refund with this waiver.

Last edited by mnmag; Jan 1, 2014 at 5:32 pm
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat

I personally haven't done this before, but I'm currently making changes to my itinerary as well (due to the weather waivers) and I came across this post, which you might find helpful: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21859629-post33.html
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
If the flight actually cancels, you can get a refund.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:08 pm

I booked United flights for this Friday using KrisFlyer miles. I was originally booked on JFK-SFO on p.s. business, but it looks like I was changed to EWR-SFO. Wasn't even notified. Going to call to get it fixed, but is this normal for United?
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
I booked United flights for this Friday using KrisFlyer miles. I was originally booked on JFK-SFO on p.s. business, but it looks like I was changed to EWR-SFO. Wasn't even notified. Going to call to get it fixed, but is this normal for United?
As it is an SQ reservation and ticket they should be the ones notifying you. Are you sure it's a recent change? JFK/EWR is nothing the computer would automatically change; looks like someone messed with your reservation. I'd try and call UA and have them fix then reservation on their end and then cal SQ to get the ticket re-issued.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
As it is an SQ reservation and ticket they should be the ones notifying you. Are you sure it's a recent change? JFK/EWR is nothing the computer would automatically change; looks like someone messed with your reservation. I'd try and call UA and have them fix then reservation on their end and then cal SQ to get the ticket re-issued.
Definitely a recent change because I booked the flight less than 24 hours ago. I assumed it was due to the coming storm in NYC, and I think that's what it was. Looks like a connecting I flight I had to JFK was cancelled and I was put through EWR instead. But still, no notification from either airline is disappointing.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
No escape!

I rebooked away from ORD to a CMH-DEN-YVR routing.

Pilot for our DEN-YVR flight is delayed 2.5 hours coming inbound from CLE. Latest departure estimate is 10 pm, with YVR arrival at midnight PST.

I'd have been better off staying with my original routing!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:51 am

can't even get through to an agent

I have a DSM-EWR-ZFV trip that I would like to change, but I cannot get an agent on the phone (foreign star gold, no united status). Called last night- estimated hold time 20 min, was on hold over an hour before giving up. Current call- estimated hold time 5-10 minutes, so far have been on hold for 40 min.

Is there a trick to this? I am trying to be patient, but I am within T-24 of my flight now so am getting antsy. Also- I have not checked in- would it be advisable to do so?
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by junebug
I have a DSM-EWR-ZFV trip that I would like to change, but I cannot get an agent on the phone (foreign star gold, no united status). Called last night- estimated hold time 20 min, was on hold over an hour before giving up. Current call- estimated hold time 5-10 minutes, so far have been on hold for 40 min.

Is there a trick to this? I am trying to be patient, but I am within T-24 of my flight now so am getting antsy. Also- I have not checked in- would it be advisable to do so?
I think you need to be patient, as lots of flights have been canceled due to the impending storm (esp. out of the NYC area, but other connections are affected, as well), so lots of other pax needing to be rebooked. GL!
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
Definitely a recent change because I booked the flight less than 24 hours ago. I assumed it was due to the coming storm in NYC, and I think that's what it was. Looks like a connecting I flight I had to JFK was cancelled and I was put through EWR instead. But still, no notification from either airline is disappointing.
With 12 inches of snow in the forecast, and 0 degree F forecast, I would rethink this trip on Friday.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
It's nasty here in Chicago. Took me 50 minutes to get to work versus the usual 25 minutes. If you can avoid ORD I would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.