FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter Storms Hercules/Ion and Impact to UA's Operations (Travel Waivers Unitl 8 Jan)
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:02 pm
Buster CT1K

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
United too stingy with storm-related fee waiver

United had ample notice that a major snowstorm was on tap for the east coast. Yet up until at least yesterday, United's had a very ungenerous travel waiver. Its Upper Northeast Snowstorm waiver stated:
  • Fees for same-day flight changes are waived within 24 hours of original departure.
  • For all other changes, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply.

This was a very stingy waiver, and for me to change my flight to get out before the snowstorm, more than 24 hours ahead of time, meant I would still have to cough up a hefty fare difference. I would have been happy to get out ahead of the snowstorm, but United made it uneconomic to do so.

United now realizes, after the snowstorm, began, that it was too stingy and has changed its waivers to include fare differences, but it is too late.

I am very unhappy with United's bean counting, which will cause even more congestion and difficulty for travelers, when the snowstorm passes.