Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
ORD-HKG no 747? The CX (airline not mechanical) effect?
The UA 747 reliability effect. They can't keep their planes in the air on time like DL can.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by star_world
As several people stated above, those sUA 777s will have a huge payload restriction operating to SYD. Very surprised to hear this.
Corporate HQ has all the data and their decision making is flawless. If they decide sUA 777 is the right size for the route - it is. Just trust them.

Same with sending 747s back to ORD so soon after making a big deal if consolidating them at SFO. Laser sharp planning skills.

Right?

Originally Posted by mduell
Quote:

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

ORD-HKG no 747? The CX (airline not mechanical) effect?

The UA 747 reliability effect. They can't keep their planes in the air on time like DL can.
747 will still be flying out of ORD. So that ain't it.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 16, 2013 at 3:12 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:26 pm

Is the 747 to 777 change seasonal? It would make sense it was.

Also will the 747s finally have the power ports and streaming IFE turned on by then?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
So it's confirmed that LAX - SYD as well as SFO - SYD will become 777 flights next spring. Additional changes include :

SFO - KIX - From 777 & 747 to 787
ORD - FRA, ORD - PVG, ORD - NRT back to 744s that will route thru SFO.

Changes should be loaded and bookable this Saturday.
Based on the jousting in this thread I do not know whether this is a good thing or not (i.e. for SYD routes) swapping the 747s for sUA 777. I have been flying the 747s from SYD for such a long, long, long time now and sort of have a sentimental attachment for the flying museums not to mention my favourite seats. However, I have been disrupted more frequently the past couple of years by the unreliability of the 747s. Perhaps the 777s will make UA more competitive on these routes but I would have thought smaller PAX and cargo capacity would negate this to some extent. Then of course I expect it will be even harder to secure those GPU upgrades with a lower number of seats in BF and no F. I'll give it a go for a while and see but if it is true that SQ will be flying SYD to USA then this will be a very attractive alternative.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by IainC
Based on the jousting in this thread I do not know whether this is a good thing or not (i.e. for SYD routes) swapping the 747s for sUA 777. I have been flying the 747s from SYD for such a long, long, long time now and sort of have a sentimental attachment for the flying museums not to mention my favourite seats. However, I have been disrupted more frequently the past couple of years by the unreliability of the 747s. Perhaps the 777s will make UA more competitive on these routes but I would have thought smaller PAX and cargo capacity would negate this to some extent. Then of course I expect it will be even harder to secure those GPU upgrades with a lower number of seats in BF and no F. I'll give it a go for a while and see but if it is true that SQ will be flying SYD to USA then this will be a very attractive alternative.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with all the 787 lift coming online, and UA down-gauging some routes from 772 to 788, won't there be spare 772's to support additional TPAC frequency? UA used to have two daily SFO-SYD flights and LAX-SYD plus LAX-MEL direct. Perhaps going to 772's will support another flight. Or is this a placeholder until the 350's arrive?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:40 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by IainC
Forget sentimentalism, you will be seeing HNL more than you would like. Maybe FedEx should expand their HNL-SYD route to take on the excess cargo that UA will be leaving behind.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
+1

Did you hear whether it will be PMCO or PMUA? Or mixed crew?
787 sCO crew more then likely HTA & HOS based, 777 flights sUA crew LAX or SFO based.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Forget sentimentalism, you will be seeing HNL more than you would like. Maybe FedEx should expand their HNL-SYD route to take on the excess cargo that UA will be leaving behind.
How much less? I don't see a big cargo difference, but it all comes down to mission rules set by UA. One thing is clear, they will be leaving some fuel behind in SYD
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
As several people stated above, those sUA 777s will have a huge payload restriction operating to SYD. Very surprised to hear this.
sUA 772's MTOW were recently uprated to 648k from 640k. The extra 8k does make a difference.

Just for reference, the more capable sCO 772's are rated at 656k
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by prestonh
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but with all the 787 lift coming online, and UA down-gauging some routes from 772 to 788, won't there be spare 772's to support additional TPAC frequency? UA used to have two daily SFO-SYD flights and LAX-SYD plus LAX-MEL direct. Perhaps going to 772's will support another flight. Or is this a placeholder until the 350's arrive?
Fingers crossed for MEL-SFO! (Surprisingly, about 60 miles shorter than MEL-LAX). There's already two airlines on MEL-LAX, but MEL-SFO would be a unique value proposition for UA.

On the other hand, I suspect it might just be a downgauge. The recent collapse of the Australian dollar from $US1.10ish to $US0.90ish should mean a reduction in the number of cashed-up Aussies heading to the US on shopping expeditions.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, AA EXP (UA Status Match)
So the route is going from 2x daily to 1x? This is a massive capacity reduction if that is the case, or is the route alternating between 747/777 and will go to 787?

No, SFO-KIX is 1 flight a day usually operated by a PMUA 777 or 747.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 16, 2013 at 3:01 am Reason: fix html
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:54 am

This is all great. Alan Joyce is having a bottle of expensive Scotch right now. All smiles.

Unlike [insert expletive here] D Parker he is NOT sending SMI/J an email questioning this one....
Old Aug 16, 2013, 3:00 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QF, VA
Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
very entertaining and popular thread

You guys obviously haven't been on Air Canada's 777-200 non-stop service YVR-SYD.

other thoughts:
-NZ is a nicer product, but beginning 2014, it'll be hard to get PQD's on those flights. Business win for UA.
-QF Y service on 388 is almost as bad as UA Y service on 744. Correction. The food & service is superior. It's the equipment. Yes. IFE has no comparison until the Y guy in front of you in the 388 reclines your IFE into your chest.
-QF Y service on 744 is quite nice IMO. I just did that LAX-BNE a couple months ago. Fine Kangaroo painted on the side of the fuselage.
-UA 787 Y seats are squishy in 3-3-3 configuration but that's UA's fault. NH flies the same piece of metal with Y in a 2-4-2 configuration. It's ironic that NH provides more Y space. Did Boeing get its deliveries swapped?
-When UA gets rid of all of their 744's to the other side of the Pacific, I'll gladly fly UA more often.
-I kind of miss the PMCO planes when I fly PMCO domestic routes. The PMUA planes have a lot fewer F class seats into which to upgrade, no DirectTV and no cheeseburgers.
AC flies the 77L, also know as the 777-200LR which adds significant range.

And why is it ironic that NH offers more Y space in their 788s?

Personally I'm hoping for UA to either bring a nonstop to MEL, or at least keep providing an affordable option to get to ORD from MEL
Old Aug 16, 2013, 5:15 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I'm confused. How much less could you care? A little less? A lot less?
A lot...lot..lot less....
Old Aug 16, 2013, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
What "huge restrictions" are the sUA 777s taking on ORD-HKG? ORD-HKG is longer than LAX-SYD both in terms of great circle (6,768 nm vs 6,524 nm) and ESAD (7,366 nm vs 7,095 nm).

Can you substantiate that? Boeing's public payload/range charts show the 777-200ER can haul more cargo with full pax and bags than the 747-700 at the LAX-SYD ESAD; even with the derated MTOW they come out even.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.