Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by fly18725
Where there ever proof that paid C is what drove the change back? I heard this was more about aircraft and crew utilization.
And where is your proof of that? Why not run the other 747 from HKG to SGN then instead of the 737? One thought is there is no C traffic on that route therefore it has gone away as well.

Just because the "company line" is "crew utilization" or some other reason doesn't make it so.

All I know is I used to live on the SIN runs as did a lot of others and when that went away, I started seeing the same people on CX, (especially after the J class seats were upgraded from the coffin ones). Some people told me (that I would see in the lounge in SIN) they moved over to SQ.

All I know (especially with the O&G boom and mining), the traffic to OZ from the US is a significant amount of J class buyers, because I see them (some on the non-stops, some via SIN/JKT) and that is just one industry.

If UA wants to claim leisure travel, utilization, fine....they can think/feel whatever makes them feel good in their own mind, and who knows....maybe it is leisure travel for them....but its not for others. Why do you think SQ has been trying to penetrate the OZ to US market? To get the leisure travelers? I think not.....

YMMV....

Originally Posted by stevenshev
While lovely in theory, they simply don't exist 2-3 weeks out when I'm normally booking.

Kudos to greg99 for perfectly describing my scenario, so I won't rehash it too much here, but long story short is I will not fly less than business on the route, have a business/personal travel policy that is flexible enough to allow me to pay business, and therefore have choice among all the carriers. UA is great in that it allows me to travel F. If I'm paying C to travel C, for starters it will be on the cheapest fare I can find on an acceptable airline and it will most certainly will not be on a PMCO 777 (or 757, or 764, though I find the 763s and 787s fine). On that plane, there are at most four acceptable seats to me, which are all guaranteed to be gone by 2-3 weeks out, and no air vents (which is a huge portion of why I fly UA - I like to be able to sleep, not be cooked). Simply will not happen.
One question is do you have business in Asia as well? The reason I ask is OW has great Circle Pac fares in J and has a lot more flexibility than *A on O/D points in the US (can use them anywhere in US not just West Coast specific like on *A) and has higher mileage thresholds as well.

I use them all the time now and ticket them out of HKG for a lower price under $8K. I fly QF and CX with them. And if you are in and out of JFK, you wouldn't even have to step foot on a US carrier.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 15, 2013 at 8:00 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Who'd you go over to? Using STAR mileage upgrades on NH?
The problem is that there won't be any good options on SEA<>NRT. I could probably live with the PMUA J seats, but the 787s have the PMCO seats (which I find not great). NH J I don't like either.

For the time being, I'll just try to minimize travel to SEA or maybe get there via LH from FRA (or maybe DL from JFK).

I honestly think UA has no clue how many HVFs have stuck with UA because of the opportunity for UGs to or award tickets in GF. IMHO they are in for a real shock.

Also, the UA Board is moronic IMHO for not replacing Smisek now that it's totally obvious his strategy for achieving profitability by down-sizing, down-gauging, and down-grading is not going to work.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by goingbananas
And where is your proof of that? Why not run the other 747 from HKG to SGN then instead of the 737? One thought is there is no C traffic on that route therefore it has gone away as well.

Just because the "company line" is "crew utilization" or some other reason doesn't make it so.

All I know is I used to live on the SIN runs as did a lot of others and when that went away, I started seeing the same people on CX, (especially after the J class seats were upgraded from the coffin ones). Some people told me (that I would see in the lounge in SIN) they moved over to SQ.

All I know (especially with the O&G boom and mining), the traffic to OZ from the US is a significant amount of J class buyers, because I see them (some on the non-stops, some via SIN/JKT) and that is just one industry.

If UA wants to claim leisure travel, utilization, fine....they can think/feel whatever makes them feel good in their own mind, and who knows....maybe it is leisure travel for them....but its not for others. Why do you think SQ has been trying to penetrate the OZ to US market? To get the leisure travelers? I think not.....

YMMV....
I'm quite sure that UA has better detail on the following than you, me or any other poster on FT:

- The fares that every single passenger on every one of their aircraft pays
- How often that specific passenger flies UA
- Whether there are any trends associated with these patterns, down to the individual level (e.g., high-value customer X was purchasing a D fare on this route every 2 weeks for x years, isn't purchasing them anymore)
- The approximate mix of leisure and business travelers on each route (based on fare purchased, analytics from FF program, days of week travelled, etc.)
- Most importantly, the profitability of every route operated by a specific aircraft type, and (to a very high degree of accuracy) what that would move to under a different aircraft type, time of day, etc.

It might make FT members like uastarflyer feel better to think that specific aircraft moves are driven by nostalgia, prestige, etc. but it's a far more sober view than that. If a 737-800 makes sense (taking the immense amount of data available into account to make such a decision) on a route for a few months instead of a 747-400 then that's what will go on the route. If there is a subsequent change, that doesn't mean "they" were "kicked off" the route. It's called fleet planning - nothing more than that.

So while your post above is interesting anecdotal information, the tone is highly surprising - you're indicating that for some reason UA is desperately trying to get out of certain markets and making up reasons for doing so, while your anecdotal evidence shows that they're wrong. They're an airline - run with an objective of making a profit. With the amount of data they have (and you and I don't) - why do you believe you're right and they're wrong?

Originally Posted by 5khours
I honestly think UA has no clue how many HVFs have stuck with UA because of the opportunity for UGs to or award tickets in GF. IMHO they are in for a real shock.
That is a naive comment at best. I'm sure they have a much better idea on the exact number than you do.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by star_world
I'm sure they have a much better idea on the exact number than you do.
They probably do, but if the experience of the last 18 months is any guide, they simply don't care about keeping HVF's, despite their claims to the contrary.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by simong
I am scared at the suggestion that PMCO crews have worse service than PMUA crews, I can't imagine what that would mean..
I've had both excellent and mediocre service (but mostly good to excellent) by crews from bth sides of the merged company. Don't be scared by rash generalisations. They are not all gd or all bad.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Technical stops in Honolulu and Nadi, Fiji.

Look for the feature in the Wall Street Journal. IAD-CDG and EWR-TXL on a 757 round 2. The return of the gander hub the "pacific edition"

I'm all for this, as long as the plane flies LAX-SYD without as stop as advertised. UA lacks credibility in this department, especially after the IAD-CDG and EWR-TXL frequent Gander stopovers.
UA has consistently flown EWR-HKG (8060mi) both directions, year round, rarely a fuel stop needed with barely 777-200ER.

I understand Cali-SYD has more wind, but it should be able to handle it fine if they don't oversell the plane.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I don't see the sCO 777 making stops on EWR-HKG runs. That flight is longer than LAX/SFO-SYD. DEL/BOM-EWR is about the same length too and those flights flies against the winds on the westbound sector.

The sCO 777ERs are not the same as the sUA ones, those birds were specifically modified for flights of those lengths.
sCO has the GE90's
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by halls120
They probably do, but if the experience of the last 18 months is any guide, they simply don't care about keeping HVF's, despite their claims to the contrary.
Why wouldn't they care? This sort of comment (along with others that talk about a "hostile" attitude towards customers, which is actually more like indifference by some employees) is repeated on a regular basis here as though it were the truth but I don't get the motivation. Why would they "claim" that they want HVFs but then not care about whether they get them or not? Who would they be fooling?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
sCO has the GE90's
And IIRC they have the upgrade kits installed for a tad mre thrust!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by star_world
I'm quite sure that UA has better detail on the following than you, me or any other poster on FT:

- The fares that every single passenger on every one of their aircraft pays
- How often that specific passenger flies UA
- Whether there are any trends associated with these patterns, down to the individual level (e.g., high-value customer X was purchasing a D fare on this route every 2 weeks for x years, isn't purchasing them anymore)
- The approximate mix of leisure and business travelers on each route (based on fare purchased, analytics from FF program, days of week travelled, etc.)
- Most importantly, the profitability of every route operated by a specific aircraft type, and (to a very high degree of accuracy) what that would move to under a different aircraft type, time of day, etc.

It might make FT members like uastarflyer feel better to think that specific aircraft moves are driven by nostalgia, prestige, etc. but it's a far more sober view than that. If a 737-800 makes sense (taking the immense amount of data available into account to make such a decision) on a route for a few months instead of a 747-400 then that's what will go on the route. If there is a subsequent change, that doesn't mean "they" were "kicked off" the route. It's called fleet planning - nothing more than that.

So while your post above is interesting anecdotal information, the tone is highly surprising - you're indicating that for some reason UA is desperately trying to get out of certain markets and making up reasons for doing so, while your anecdotal evidence shows that they're wrong. They're an airline - run with an objective of making a profit. With the amount of data they have (and you and I don't) - why do you believe you're right and they're wrong?
First off...you proved one of my points. I was just asking the same question back.

Second, I used to be in the business that actually dealt with these type issues that you have raised, which I would say most people on FT have not (or currently in).

Third I couldn't give a flying .....(well you know) what UA does with its aircraft and their fleet utilization. So, no your interpretation of me being right wrong or indifferent is not accurate based upon the HKG-SIN equipment debacle that was brought up (not the equipment change to OZ). I am out of that business now..(thankfully). UA can say all they want about reasons for this...or reasons for that (i.e. PRASM numbers, OT performance, blame this....blame that) I really don't care. The HKG-SIN equipment issue is a good example as they had to say "something" because with this management the word sorry is not in their vocabulary and hence I have zero trust in this management. Unfortunately, I still have a few MM in my account and have to fly them sometimes when I have no choice...(being in IAH area now) and my wife is still involved with UA...so to some extent....I care about the UA staying afloat for those reasons.....

Again...I ask you...why is SQ so interested in flying OZ to US? To pick up leisure travel? Why is QF being extremely defensive on letting SQ in that market? Losing the leisure traveler? Just because UA's numbers say one thing, doesn't mean QF's or SQ's say the same thing. Again, I could care less what UA does or say around this....just stay afloat so I can cash in my miles and not affect my wife....outside of that, I don't have a dog in this fight...

Lastly, I voted with my wallet...as did others.....I don't care about all the people that are hub centric to CO/UA (in particular EWR, CLE and IAH), monday am quarterbacking saying...I found this...or do that...or....(acting like they have been or are in those people's shoes), and those people bring up things as to why its a problem/issue for them: Automatically its all about "stop your whining" or something along those lines....

I sit back and watch a lot when people raise an issue....and I say...well...get ready to get flamed as they know best because they walk in your shoes more than that person themselves......Bottom line....why even bother raising a complaint/concern? I sure wouldn't....and don't (again, I could care less what UA does on its OZ routes, they could fly CR7's for all I care).....

Heck I was even hesitant to bring up or start a new thread about something as simple as adding another row in economy on the CR7's. Again as someone who used to be in the business, I am still privy to quite a bit of information (through various people) and a lot of it, I don't bother to post or mention because of all the Monday am Quarterbacking here on why it should/shouldn't be an issue for a person..."just suck it up".....(or something along those lines).

So, when I see people posting "I heard this".....without a disclaimer....or backing it up (especially when I know something is false)... I am going to "throw" something back at them as another reason/thought/question. But then again....I will probably just defer to the paragraph right above this one and offer advice/recommendations or ideas to people (i.e. buying CPAC OW tickets) vs dealing with what UA is going to do next with its aircraft utilization or whatever the issue maybe. This actually is the best way IMHO to go to OZ if you have other business in Asia. Better cost, seat, and service....@:-)

So, maybe if people focus more on trying to offer solutions (when people raise an issue for them on a change, in this case no F/C on OZ flights) and get a full understanding of what the issue is/are, before jumping to conclusions, it might be more helpful.

YMMV...

Originally Posted by 787fan
UA has consistently flown EWR-HKG (8060mi) both directions, year round, rarely a fuel stop needed with barely 777-200ER.

I understand Cali-SYD has more wind, but it should be able to handle it fine if they don't oversell the plane.
Cargo is the "wildcard" on this.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 15, 2013 at 8:40 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Did they get the NOS kit or just a Type R sticker?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Correct, they are the GE90-94B model with a software mod that permits a 4k max thrust bump to 94k. They also have the 3D Aero blade package installed, but AFAIK all sUA 777s have this now too.

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Cargo is the "wildcard" on this.
Yes, but the notion that the 777 is a less capable freight hauler than the 747 is mostly untrue. sCO 777 ultra longhauls frequently carry considerable cargo while 744s on the SYD flights often go out weight restricted, so it absolutely goes both ways.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by halls120
Requested, yes, actually done it, no way to tell.
I wonder - would you have posted that as well had the sUA seat won, or is this a concern only because more voted for the sCO seat?

Originally Posted by Renard
Just when you think that it can't get any worse... well it does. I'm at the point where I just expect very little from the 'new UA' and am RARELY disappointed.

The IFE might be an upgrade if half of the movies on there weren't the likes of 'Foot Loose' or 'Gone with the Wind'.... I don't know why they even bother with putting in all these IFE systems and there is nothing but oldies on it---this was pretty much the case for CO pre-merger---obviously they go cheap on the content. In general I know if traveling on UA, you're on your own for IFE ... whether on a CO plane or a UA 747.

If you're in coach, it's going to stink no matter what. Trade the more comfortable UA coach seats for the CO covered pieces of plywood containing IFE where the most interesting thing on it is the flight map. I'm sure Jeff is going to rip out the more comfy seats out of the 747 anyways.. I've flown UA coach to SYD/MEL several times and it's not a good time but the thought of flying on those CO rock hard seats is hard to take.

Do they ever wonder why QF flies the A380 to the states and UA evidently can only muster a 777? Clearly they're not concerned in winning over more business but only in shrinking to the point where capacity match those who are captive.
The "covered plywood" is the 737. The sCO 772 has seats that are just as comfortable (or not) as the sUA 772. More so, IMO, than the sUA 744.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
Yes, but the notion that the 777 is a less capable freight hauler than the 747 is mostly untrue. sCO 777 ultra longhauls frequently carry considerable cargo while 744s on the SYD flights often go out weight restricted, so it absolutely goes both ways.
Never said it was or wasn't.....Cargo...(regardless of type of A/C), is always the wildcard....
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Did they get the NOS kit or just a Type R sticker?
no, just the neon underwing option

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.