Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I think it's cool that everyone has their own preferences. While I hear that some of you prefer the UA J seat so much that you'd take 2-4-2 over 2-2-2, I'd take the Continental plane very single day of the week over the UA plane.
747 Upper Deck has 2-2, with great storage options for the window seat. The best of UA J seats for the long haul flights.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by born sleepy
I don't get all the hate for the CO BF seat. I have slept like a log in those on long-haul CO 777s many times. Once I flew UA 744 in F (before it was GF, ca 2002, I think it was called First Suite) to SYD and back and I know I slept better in the CO seat.

Haven't experienced the new GF seat but the CO BF seat is fiiiine. I'm not a tall man so maybe that's in my favor.
OT, but if you've done it in the 777, that's the "best foot forward", so to speak, for that seat. Seems to be narrower/shorter in the 757, 787, and reconfigured 763s. Can't speak to the 764...

Originally Posted by IAD22066
Any chance that the 787s will take over the LAX/SFO to SYD route if they stop catching on fire? Boeing claims that their 787-9 has a range of 8000-8500 miles. I haven't flown in a 787 yet but it seems like it would be a nice ride.
That's my guess too...cargo suffers, but goes with the strategic mindset they've established of downgauging wherever possible, esp. in the face of multiple competitors. I'm sure LAX would come first.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I'm going to start posting random rumors to see if I can generate pages of discussion.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
I wouldn't necessarily mind SFO/LAX-SYD downgauged to 777 if that means eventually we'll get a separate SFO/LAX-MEL (and god willing, SFO-BNE) on 787
Old Aug 14, 2013, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sulley
I'm going to start posting random rumors to see if I can generate pages of discussion.
Isn't that the lifeblood of FT?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:02 am

If we FAs are still a separate operation by the time this happens (which I'm sure we will still be), more then likely this will be an HTA based trip and deadhead pairing (deadhead IAH - LAX - IAH, work LAX - SYD - LAX). But we shall see.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by fly18725
What is "better for pax"? An improved product that is provides better value or more capacity than needed so the pax can pay less and then easily upgrade?
Honestly, when I took that flight I spent most of the time sleeping (or trying to). Flying the 744 or 777 in Y isn't going to do much to improve my sleep.

Most of the rest is just window dressing - I'd rather save the money.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Great way to cede premium revenue to QF. Why anyone would pay D or higher (common to SYD) for the sub par Business"first" product (unless they can upgrade to F) is beyond me.
Don't tell that to some people around here as they think the Paid J traffic is not there. That was the benefit to UA. Pay for J and upgrade to F. With that gone, who would ever think of paying for J on UA and sit in it vs QF is beyond me.

I think this opens it up again for SQ to make a push for the OZ to US market again.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No one has asked the obvious question - is Tom Stuker going to be satisfied with BF on his many trips to SYD?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
1990s BF is not acceptable on this route.
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Awful news if it is true!! I can't belive they would be a 1990s style 777 with an outdated business class section on this route operated by a PMCO crew.
I don't recall seeing lie-flat business seats on any carrier in the 1990s.

We're talking ONE airline here. The merger is not going to go away. It's been here for some time. Please stp all of this divisiveness.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Aug 14, 2013 at 8:10 am
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:40 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Remove GF and you are going to see high frequency J travelers (GS) moving to other carriers.
That's it right there. The simple reason I make GS each year is multiple JFK-SYD in D/C fares ranging from $10-$15k a pop, so that I can upgrade to F. If UA does not have an F product to offer, there is not a snowball's chance in hell I pay a cent more than a Z fare ($6,000), and, if I can't upgrade, why would I take UA's Z fare over QF's I fare and have a better inflight experience on a single plane all the way from New York?

This is ludicrous. UA tried to move SYD to 777s once already, and was forced to back down by passenger outrage. Believe me, I am far from a vocal pax, but if they try this on the SYD routes, I will be clearly expressing myself...first with words, then with dollars.

Originally Posted by goingbananas
Don't tell that to some people around here as they think the Paid J traffic is not there. That was the benefit to UA. Pay for J and upgrade to F. With that gone, who would ever think of paying for J on UA and sit in it vs QF is beyond me.

I think this opens it up again for SQ to make a push for the OZ to US market again.
This.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 14, 2013 at 9:29 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stevenshev
That's it right there. The simple reason I make GS each year is multiple JFK-SYD in D/C fares ranging from $10-$15k a pop, so that I can upgrade to F. If UA does not have an F product to offer, there is not a snowball's chance in hell I pay a cent more than a Z fare ($6,000), and, if I can't upgrade, why would I take UA's Z fare over QF's I fare and have a better inflight experience on a single plane all the way from New York?
Can't you use your GPUs to fly JFK-SYD in BF for under $1000 (on an M fare)? That seems better than $6000.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Can't you use your GPUs to fly JFK-SYD in BF for under $1000 (on an M fare)? That seems better than $6000.
Just a bit off on pricing...M fare going for $3,200 now r/t

(and that also assumes you can even get R space at booking - no way you pay that much just to waitlist)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by meFIRST
I'm surprised the 777-200ER can fly that far overwater. Will there be technical stops in HNL? ( in the fashion on EWR-TXL and IAD-CDG?)
The 777-200ER has longer legs than the 747-400. At first glance it can actually carry more cargo on the flight:

Originally Posted by mduell
A cursory analysis suggests they're giving up little freight:

LAX-SYD is ~7100nm ESAD

B744 with PW engines can go that distance at 245t ZFW minus the 197t OEW is 48t payload minus 348 pax @ 210 lb/ea leaves 11.5t for cargo.

B77E with typical engines can go that distance at 195t ZFW minus 152t OEW is 43t payload minus 267 pax @ 210 lb/ea leaves 15t for cargo.
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Perhaps you should factor in no-wind polar routes versus So. Pacific routes.

The CO 777 can certainly make it non-stop, but there will be some weight penalties, particularly westbound.
I used the ESAD, which includes typical winds.

The 747 also takes weight penalties at this stage length.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Yes, if I wanted to or needed to play that game. Luckily, most of the time, I don't (and suspect that holds true for other GS on the route). And thus why I can talk with dollars rather than being captive to UA.

And, as pointed out below, it's nowhere near $1,000 for an upgradeable coach fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.