Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 5khours
50/40 and 10 no preference. A requested requirement for responding was to have flown both.
Requested, yes, actually done it, no way to tell.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:20 pm

Aren't the majority of Qantas LAX flights on birds with no first class? The 744 to SYD and BNE have no first class. Just 1 A380 to SYD and MEL out of LAX. Delta and VA offering a 2 class lie flat product.

So what's the alternative...

Continue serving with an inferior product in every class - Y, J, and F don't stack up to the alternatives - and unreliable aircraft? Or switch to one with the right capacity / CASM, better Y, business class that is an upgrade - no rear facing seats, no middles.

The aviation nut in me likes a 747 as much as anyone, but I want an airline that is financially sound. Seems reasonable to me for this particular market in 2013. A 787 would be a travesty though...the ERJ of long haul...
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
That doesn't answer the question because the question is about booking guaranteed upgrades.
While lovely in theory, they simply don't exist 2-3 weeks out when I'm normally booking.

Kudos to greg99 for perfectly describing my scenario, so I won't rehash it too much here, but long story short is I will not fly less than business on the route, have a business/personal travel policy that is flexible enough to allow me to pay business, and therefore have choice among all the carriers. UA is great in that it allows me to travel F. If I'm paying C to travel C, for starters it will be on the cheapest fare I can find on an acceptable airline and it will most certainly will not be on a PMCO 777 (or 757, or 764, though I find the 763s and 787s fine). On that plane, there are at most four acceptable seats to me, which are all guaranteed to be gone by 2-3 weeks out, and no air vents (which is a huge portion of why I fly UA - I like to be able to sleep, not be cooked). Simply will not happen.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Aren't the majority of Qantas LAX flights on birds with no first class? The 744 to SYD and BNE have no first class. Just 1 A380 to SYD and MEL out of LAX. Delta and VA offering a 2 class lie flat product.

So what's the alternative...

Continue serving with an inferior product in every class - Y, J, and F don't stack up to the alternatives - and unreliable aircraft? Or switch to one with the right capacity / CASM, better Y, business class that is an upgrade - no rear facing seats, no middles.

The aviation nut in me likes a 747 as much as anyone, but I want an airline that is financially sound. Seems reasonable to me for this particular market in 2013. A 787 would be a travesty though...the ERJ of long haul...
While Qantas is removing first from a lot of their long-haul fleet, the A380 fleet servicing North America will retain first.

An important point here is that many Australians will also transit through Asia on CX or SQ to get to the US at marginally better prices in J and F than UA or QF without reservation. So, Qantas is retaining the first cabin not only to compete with United-but also the Asian competitors.

Is the "new" United's strategy down gauging, giving up marketshare, etc.? If 2014 really does bring triple sevens on the San Francisco and Los Angeles to Sydney routes then that is keeping in line with the business strategy since the merger.

What will be interesting to see is if this plays out-which I highly doubt it will-is whether the 777s will fly LA/SFO to Sydney, and then a 788 frequency is added San Francisco to Melbourne.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
I have heard this rumour before but I discounted it because the person I heard it from it is not the most reliable source IMHO. In my version SFO-SYD remains a 747 but LAX-SYD and SYD-MEL transition to PMCO 777 service. Take it with a large grain of salt.....
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stevenshev
While lovely in theory, they simply don't exist 2-3 weeks out when I'm normally booking.
It's just not true. Looking 2-3 weeks out, right now, about half of dates have R inventory on both LAX-SYD and SFO-SYD.

If you don't want to fly C on UA on W fares, then don't. But don't claim you can't, it's not true.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenshev

It's just not true. Looking 2-3 weeks out, right now, about half of dates have R inventory on both LAX-SYD and SFO-SYD.

If you don't want to fly C on UA on W fares, then don't. But don't claim you can't, it's not true.
Does he normally book now? Who books the winter season?

Take a look at Dec-Mar and let us know. And keep in mind it is on an AC with higher capacity
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Does he normally book now? Who books the winter season?
How's that work? The offices there are all closed in the winter?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by halls120
What sCO routes currently flown by 777s will lose those birds? In favor of what - 787s?
CO was planning to launch its 787 service going between IAH-AKL so not surprising it's taking over the SPacific flights. Long range 787s are still a year from going into service. UA's F was pretty much an upgrade cabin for US corporate contract flyers since anyone actually paying from their own pocket would fly QF, which offers a real F service.

Agree with others who find the CO777s a good choice on several counts: having a superior C seat to the UA one, and of course real IFE in the back cabin. (The only way one could call the UA C cabin good was if you were in the "bubble" but even that has its drawbacks -- like trying to extricate oneself from a window seat when the person next to you is stretched out asleep!)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by 5khours
+1000. When UA announced the change from 777 to 787 on SEA<>NRT, they lost me.
Who'd you go over to? Using STAR mileage upgrades on NH?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:09 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Shareholder
CO was planning to launch its 787 service going between IAH-AKL so not surprising it's taking over the SPacific flights. Long range 787s are still a year from going into service. UA's F was pretty much an upgrade cabin for US corporate contract flyers since anyone actually paying from their own pocket would fly QF, which offers a real F service.
Who flies on 20-40% discounted C fares.

UA cannot justify having the F cabin where it is dominantly filled with those on paid C fares. Of course, those corporate customers are more than welcome to fly on other airlines at rack rate and my gut tells me Asia/Australia based airlines do not give that much of a discount compared to UA/AA/DL/US and probably European carriers.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shareholder

Who flies on 20-40% discounted C fares.

UA cannot justify having the F cabin where it is dominantly filled with those on paid C fares.
Depends how much paid C they will get without also offering an F cabin. They can call it C+ if it makes them feel better.

Same argument made when HKG-SIN went 737. Then they get all surprised when paid C to SIN via HKG dried up. 747 back on , now 3 class 777.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
I am a bit out of practice on FT these days, but as far as I can tell this is a rumour not confirmed? Now we all love a good rumour but shouldn't the thread title reflect that until confirmed?

I am scared at the suggestion that PMCO crews have worse service than PMUA crews, I can't imagine what that would mean..
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by simong
I am scared at the suggestion that PMCO crews have worse service than PMUA crews, I can't imagine what that would mean..
I did NRT-SIN-NRT with PMCO 777 in E+ and was not at all impressed. Very cheap in delivery and just looking to sell liquor, constantly clutching those card readers. Never making water runs. 2 different crews. Maybe others are better. The seat itself is decent though.

I feel relaxed and at home on sUA. Very happy sUA coming back to NRT-SIN (along with INTL FC).

sUA C I have also liked. My one and only sUA F Suite experience was great too. Haven't done PMCO BF.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Same argument made when HKG-SIN went 737. Then they get all surprised when paid C to SIN via HKG dried up. 747 back on , now 3 class 777.
Where there ever proof that paid C is what drove the change back? I heard this was more about aircraft and crew utilization.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.