Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 787fan
UA has consistently flown EWR-HKG (8060mi) both directions, year round, rarely a fuel stop needed with barely 777-200ER.

I understand Cali-SYD has more wind, but it should be able to handle it fine if they don't oversell the plane.
The last time I checked a fully sold plane and an oversold plane weigh exactly the same, save for the passengers left behind.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe overselling would be an advantage, because if they are going to IDB some pax they could choose the people of size.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by star_world
Why wouldn't they care? This sort of comment (along with others that talk about a "hostile" attitude towards customers, which is actually more like indifference by some employees) is repeated on a regular basis here as though it were the truth but I don't get the motivation. Why would they "claim" that they want HVFs but then not care about whether they get them or not? Who would they be fooling?
Because they believe they can replace whiny, "over-entitled" elites with kettles? When Rainey uttered those now infamous words, we all saw exactly how the senior management at UA regards their most frequent customers.

I really don't know why anyone with a lick of common sense who would think that insulting your frequent customer base was a wise idea, but maybe the UA management has a "savvy" plan to make all of this work out in the end.

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I wonder - would you have posted that as well had the sUA seat won, or is this a concern only because more voted for the sCO seat?
Yes, I would have said the same thing even if the sUA seat had won the vote.

Last edited by halls120; Aug 15, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA Premiere Gold, CO/UA MM, Hertz Gold, Others...Who Cares?
Also.... AFAIK none of the CO777's have wifi?
most of the 747's running the SYD route have had wifi for ages now and its worth $$$ to me to not be 1000emails behind when I get off the plane

United installed wifi on its first 747 in January 2013. If that is ages than i must be a fossil.

PMCO Bizfirst seats are way more comfortable than pmUA bizfirst seats, they are wider and longer, and you are 2x2x2 regardless of which area of the plane your on, versus 2x4x2/2x2.

If you want the better economy seat of the two, PMCO 777 16 C/J are the most comfortable seats in the house in Y.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:05 pm

Perhaps the other piece of this is the Australian Govt has finally ceded SQ's long standing wishes to allow them to fly SYD - US?

Then UA's *A partner can pick up the HVFs since the new UA doesn't care about them. This then allows the "new" UA to focus on W fares so 1Ks can GPU to BF.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Re: NH 787 Y in 2-4-2 config: Not for long.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...omy-class-club

9-abreast was nice on the 747s for a couple of years, too.
That's a newsblurb from April 2013? I've got NH 787 Y booked in a 2-4-2 config as far out as Feb 2014. How long does it take these announcements to become reality?
I noticed that MH announced AVOD on their 737-800's in Feb 2012.
http://www.planetalkinglive.com/2012...entertainment/
Seatguru still says that MH 737-800's have no AVOD. Will it happen by Aug 2014? I'm looking at MH's Darwin-Kuala Lumpur route, but detest the idea of a terrible 737-800.

From post #174: Questioning whether a 777 can get from California to SYD non-stop.
Technical stops in Honolulu and Nadi, Fiji.
Oh stop it. Air Canada's 777 on the YVR-SYD non-stop doesn't exactly hit the water at 6000 nautical miles out and skip across the water rest of the way.
However, my first SQ 747 flight from SFO to HKG in 1980 had to stop for refueling at HNL.
And of course, my first Pan Am 707 flight from ORD to TPE in 1968 had how many stops? ANC and where else?

From post #215:
Perhaps the other piece of this is the Australian Govt has finally ceded SQ's long standing wishes to allow them to fly SYD - US?
Very cool rumor. It sounds like a great fifth freedom flight?
What would that do to the Circle Pacific Fare agreements of UA + QF and NZ + SQ?
I noticed that SQ's webpage on Asia Passes has been dormant for a while. I've been hoping for a Western Pacific Rim Pass to emerge one of these days.

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Aug 15, 2013 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goingbananas
All I know (especially with the O&G boom and mining), the traffic to OZ from the US is a significant amount of J class buyers, because I see them (some on the non-stops, some via SIN/JKT) and that is just one industry.

If UA wants to claim leisure travel, utilization, fine....they can think/feel whatever makes them feel good in their own mind, and who knows....maybe it is leisure travel for them....but its not for others. Why do you think SQ has been trying to penetrate the OZ to US market? To get the leisure travelers? I think not.....
I'm a bit skeptical that there's legions of premium cabin business travellers extending their US-OZ travel times by 14h+ each way to connect via NRT/HKG/ICN and SIN on SQ. Can you share any evidence of a significant volume of paid premium cabin travelers routing this way? Not anecdotes of "one time I saw a guy in a lounge"...

Originally Posted by EWR764
Correct, they are the GE90-94B model with a software mod that permits a 4k max thrust bump to 94k. They also have the 3D Aero blade package installed, but AFAIK all sUA 777s have this now too.
Are you talking about two completely different 3D Aero blade packages, since sUA 777s are PW powered not GE?

Cargo is the "wildcard" on this.
And the sCO 777-200ER can take more cargo at the LAX-SYD stage length than the sUA 747-400 per Boeing's public numbers.

Originally Posted by Long Zhiren
From post #174: Questioning whether a 777 can get from California to SYD non-stop.
Oh stop it. Air Canada's 777 on the YVR-SYD non-stop doesn't exactly hit the water at 6000 nautical miles out and skip across the water rest of the way.
Enough of the AC 777 comparions; AC operates 777-200LRs which are vastly more capable than sCO's 777-200ER.

Last edited by mduell; Aug 15, 2013 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Hmmmm. At this point, for July 2014, it is still 747s for both LAX-SYD and SFO-SYD. And, surprise, there are saver Awards for F!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by mduell
I'm a bit skeptical that there's legions of premium cabin business travellers extending their US-OZ travel times by 14h+ each way to connect via NRT/HKG/ICN and SIN on SQ. Can you share any evidence of a significant volume of paid premium cabin travelers routing this way? Not anecdotes of "one time I saw a guy in a lounge"...

Are you talking about two completely different 3D Aero blade packages, since sUA 777s are PW powered not GE?

And the sCO 777-200ER can take more cargo at the LAX-SYD stage length than the sUA 747-400 per Boeing's public numbers.

Enough of the AC 777 comparions; AC operates 777-200LRs which are vastly more capable than sCO's 777-200ER.
On the cargo numbers, you are missing the point. Yes...I know cargo capabilities of the 777 vs the 747....been there...done that for a few airlines in deciding fleet modernization and integration etc.....The point is...cargo IS ALWAYS the wildcard in what you can carry....it always has been and always will be especially for operators that want to maximize the bottom line.

On the routing via Asia...again...you are missing what I am saying.....If you are doing work in Asia as well as OZ.....the CPACS are the way to go on OW....a DCIR22 or DCIR26 is great.....AND I have also seen some people do this even if they don't have work in Asia or have multiple CPAC's going at the same time....I am just giving examples of it and not saying that they are doing this because of this or that.....Also, you are confusing the HKG-SIN equipment issue with the OZ issue.....I have seen the same people on my (I will get more specific NON-CPAC's), when I am flying just say IAH-LAX-HKG-SIN compared to when I use to live on UA as a GS person. These are the lounge people I am talking about. Totally separate issue from the OZ issue.

The OZ issue with UA going to 2-cabin I could care less. Again, as I mentioned before, I have no dog in this fight. I take my BIZ seat on QF (once got op-upped to F) to OZ and I am a happy camper. Same with my flights to SIN via HKG on CX or as others....on SQ for that.....

Again...to re-iterate...I was on of those pax that flew UA on full fare J while banking on the upgrade to F flying: SFO/LAX (back in the day)- SIN via HKG. If it wasn't there, then I flew another carrier because their J seat/service is better than UA....period....I suspect, (and I look to be accurate), that people flying to OZ are the same way as I was going to SIN....

Now, today...it just so happens I do have a need to fly to OZ and have been doing DCIR22s and 26's. You can go over to OW forum and see my post around them from awhile back.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Now I'm hearing three class sUA 777.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
The OZ issue with UA going to 2-cabin I could care less.
I'm confused. How much less could you care? A little less? A lot less?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:42 pm

Numbers: 4 v 2

4 v 2

Huh?

When flying over the Pacific I like having 4 engines as opposed to only having 2.

Last week 863 returned to SFO because there was a vibration in one of the engines - with three engines running normally I would have slept right through the circling, fuel dumping and return to SFO. On only a single engine I would have been bolt upright in a cold sweat.

Since I mentioned sleeping........my dream is the new UAL will one day update its wide body fleet to include 747-800 to replace the 747-400.
747-100 were replaced by 747-200, 747-200 were replaced by 747-300 and 747-300 were replaced by 747-400 it is only logical to update the 747-400 with the 747-800
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Aspen
4 v 2

Huh?

When flying over the Pacific I like having 4 engines as opposed to only having 2.

Last week 863 returned to SFO because there was a vibration in one of the engines - with three engines running normally I would have slept right through the circling, fuel dumping and return to SFO. On only a single engine I would have been bolt upright in a cold sweat.

Since I mentioned sleeping........my dream is the new UAL will one day update its wide body fleet to include 747-800 to replace the 747-400.
747-100 were replaced by 747-200, 747-200 were replaced by 747-300 and 747-300 were replaced by 747-400 it is only logical to update the 747-400 with the 747-800
Won't happen.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sulley
Oh well that's okay then.

Old Aug 15, 2013, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sulley
Whoa! That's going to be a hundred page thread!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.