Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Do check your optimizer, it looks like you have lost the plot. This down gauging is going to leave you with fewer and fewer passengers that ultimately it might be cheaper for you to buy consolidator style seats on other carriers and send your passengers to them. Maybe that is what the Star Alliance is for you.
Strange comment as the Star Alliance hubs (where UA is pushing a lot of beyond traffic onto LH and NH metal in the JV) are largely the beneficiary of increased capacity with 747 upgauges while competitive OAL hubs which are essentially dead-ends w/r/t connecting traffic see the downgauges.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Is UA downgauging across the board or are they reallocating equipment into other markets? It seems to me that in the international markets they've only retired the 762s as the 787s come online so there aren't any international downgauges only reallocations, right?

Domestically mainline capacity is about what it was before the merger, right? I understand that there has been a lot of reallocation of mainline equipment into some markets and out of others markets.

The second of these questions is off-topic to the thread topic but I thought I'd bring it up as complementary to the first question.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
PMUA 772 had been using on ORD-HKG since the end of March, ORD-HKG is longer than both SFO-SYD and LAX-SYD, so you know if it can work or not.
The 777s can obviously work on the SFO/LAX/SYD routes and have proven to be a very reliable plane since they came out in 1995. That being said, pilots will candidly tell you that flying a 2 engine plane over the vast reaches of the Pacific Ocean with no landing strip available for hours on end makes them a lot more nervous that flying the polar routes.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davidsfo
That being said, pilots will candidly tell you that flying a 2 engine plane over the vast reaches of the Pacific Ocean with no landing strip available for hours on end makes them a lot more nervous that flying the polar routes.
Why? I'm sure you're much farther from any landing site on the polar routes than over the ocean.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Why? I'm sure you're much farther from any landing site on the polar routes than over the ocean.
Based on gcmap.com, SFO-LHR or SFO-HKG are both within range of ETOPS 90 (ie, never more than 90 minutes from a suitable landing site).

For SFO-SYD you need to go up to ETOPS 180 before it's possible (The actual number appears to be somewhere around 150 - ETPOS 138 is not enough).

Personally I've historically avoided the twins on the Australia-US flights - sounds like other than moving back to QF there's not going to be any option now...
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
Nope. There are many remote landing strips on the polar routes. Not the best, better than open water.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by docbert
Based on gcmap.com, SFO-LHR or SFO-HKG are both within range of ETOPS 90 (ie, never more than 90 minutes from a suitable landing site).
Those aren't really polar routes. EWR-PEK (which I flew last year, on a UA 777) is an example of a polar route. Not ETOPS 90 or even 120, unless you deviate significantly from the great circle route.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by davidsfo
Nope. There are many remote landing strips on the polar routes. Not the best, better than open water.
This is true, as a ditching in the Pacific is not going to be an eminently survivable event. That said, a remote polar strip with subfreezing temperatures, a broken airplane and insufficient facilities is a serious concern, too.

My biggest fear on long haul overwater ops is blind to the 2 vs. 4 engine issue... fire. I think many pilots feel that way too.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by docbert

For SFO-SYD you need to go up to ETOPS 180 before it's possible (The actual number appears to be somewhere around 150 - ETPOS 138 is not enough).

Personally I've historically avoided the twins on the Australia-US flights - sounds like other than moving back to QF there's not going to be any option now...
unless you are flying out of AKL, the biggest ETOPS gap is between Hawaii and the mainland. I've never thought twice about flying to Hawaii on a twin (although I pick my carriers carefully, AS does not have a long enough ETOPS history for me and has a troubled maintenance past). That said, longest ETOPS diversion was when pilots shut down an engine because of oil pressure issues on a UA AKL-LAX flight, they diverted to KOA right at the 180 min mark. That would be a long time on one engine
Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:21 pm
Suspended

When was the last time a large passenger plane had to ditch when flying between Hawaii and the US mainland (which, as noted, is the biggest gap for most routes across the "vast Pacific")?

It seems that the reliability of modern engines is such that a systems failure that affects the whole plane, or a threat like a fire onboard, is a more serious concern than multiple engine failures. Although there's always a first time.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Now that this thread has gone dark I'm out.

sUA stays sUA bottom line. So 3 class to/from SYD is intact. Cool. Thanks all.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 4:06 pm

Talk about being in the dark , are we talking about 2 or 3 777s to Australia each day?

I pay for J for half my trips to the US and buy W or H/M for the rest in the hope of getting upgraded.

If UA is going for 2 x 777s only , that is a real reduction in terms of seating and seat comfort as well as decreased upgrade availability.

Three flights per day to Australia would be ok but 2 !!!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by ozflier
Talk about being in the dark , are we talking about 2 or 3 777s to Australia each day?

I pay for J for half my trips to the US and buy W or H/M for the rest in the hope of getting upgraded.

If UA is going for 2 x 777s only , that is a real reduction in terms of seating and seat comfort as well as decreased upgrade availability.

Three flights per day to Australia would be ok but 2 !!!
My hope at this point is that this becomes seasonal
777's during australian offpeek winter and 747's during aussie summer
from a buisness standpoint this makes some sense and also explains why they are not doing it effective much sooner then april next year

I do have a question around Pilot rest though....
do the SUA 777's have a bed area like the 747's do?
or are we going to lose a F seat to them as well?
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I do have a question around Pilot rest though....
do the SUA 777's have a bed area like the 747's do?
or are we going to lose a F seat to them as well?
Due to the length of the flight, you will either lose two F seats if the bunks are not installed in the aircraft flying the route, or two business class seats if they are.

At least that's how it used to be. I do not believe UA has installed overhead crew rest areas on its 777s.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When was the last time a large passenger plane had to ditch when flying between Hawaii and the US mainland (which, as noted, is the biggest gap for most routes across the "vast Pacific")?
In 1956, a Pan Am Boeing 377 was flying from HNL to SFO. Halfway across, they lost two engines, and because they didn't have enough fuel to make to SFO or return to HNL, they turned back towards Hawaii and headed for the USCGC Pontchartrain at Ocean Station November. Once arriving at OSN, the aircraft circled around until daybreak when it ditched - all 31 on board survived.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.