Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bitterroot
Updates to Wiki as of 20 January 2014

Planned changes in aircraft by date and route:

SFO -- SYD: first 772 departs SFO 27 March; turns to 840 at SYD on 29 March

LAX -- SYD: first 772 departs LAX 29 March; turn off 840-29th.

NRT -- ORD: First 744 departs NRT 27 March (aircraft turn at ORD to PVG and FRA in succession the day following arrival from NRT)
ORD -- NRT: First 744 departs ORD 31 March

ORD -- PVG: First 744 departs ORD 28 March
PVG -- ORD: First 744 departs PVG 29 March

ORD -- FRA: First 744 departs ORD 29 March
FRA -- ORD: First 744 departs FRA 30 March

NRT -- SFO: 852 to operate with 772 27 March through 31 March inclusive (772 coming out of rotation)

Or, you can just go look at the good work here (note that info posted above differs from AIRLINEROUTE info dated 4 January 2014 and before):

http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/17/ua-s14update1/

Or, straight to the source if you want to do your own research:

http://www.oag.com/Global
Print Wikipost

[Confirmed] SYD going UA 3 Cabin 777 in 2014 [and other 747 route changes]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TomVexille
Maximum range of the 200ER is 7725nm, ORD-HKG is 6772. However the path UA895 took yesterday was 7965nm.
Wow, it really went up North!
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:31 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I believe ORD-HKG is weight restricted. I have looked at the flight status page religiously and they would say all cabins are booked full, many standbys don't clear, and the flight departs with empty middle E+ seats.

Not sure about the cargo side.

Also, SYD will require ETOPS 330 I believe, while HKG can be done with ETOPS 180 as the flight manages to hug the coast of Alaska/Aleutians. So, the SYD flights will require a lot more fuel reserve to be loaded.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I believe ORD-HKG is weight restricted. I have looked at the flight status page religiously and they would say all cabins are booked full, many standbys don't clear, and the flight departs with empty middle E+ seats.

Not sure about the cargo side.

Also, SYD will require ETOPS 330 I believe, while HKG can be done with ETOPS 180 as the flight manages to hug the coast of Alaska/Aleutians. So, the SYD flights will require a lot more fuel reserve to be loaded.
LAX/SFO-SYD will operate with an ETOPS-180 flight plan. I don't know if the Pratt-powered 772ER is even rated for 330-minute ETOPS, to my knowledge, and further, if UAL has elected to maintain any of its 777s to that standard. Regardless, 330min only becomes an requirement on routes from Australia/NZ to to deep South America and NZ to the eastern half of the United States.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GlobalSTL
Also don't love the idea of syd becoming a proving ground for maxing out aircraft capabilities.
Has SYD ever not been a proving ground for maxing out aircraft capabilities?

Originally Posted by golfingboy
SYD only requires ETOPS 180 from the west coast.

HKG, even from ORD, is ETOPS 90, or maybe 120 if some airfields are unavailable.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: UAMP Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
How is this better?
The 777 j product is even worse then the 747 j (smaller/narrower)
Loss of upper deck j which IMHO was better then F when traveling as a couple
And
Possible loss of wifi as afaik none of the 777s have yet to be converted ???
It depends on your perspective. When I am flying longhaul it is usually with my family of 7 including 4 children hence we are not flying in the pointy end of the plane. I would much rather have IFE for them and myself which the 747 just does not offer.

When traveling alone or just with my wife, we tend to fly J but even in this situation unless you are on the upper deck there is no real difference in the J or F products between the two planes (2-4-2 in J on the main deck). Luckily I buck the American trend so a few cm of seat width don't make or break it for me While the upper deck is nice and quite, I believe the pitch is also a bit reduced. Add to this the increased reliability of the 777 fleet and for me I see this as an upgrade but to each his or her own.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 5:40 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QF, VA
Originally Posted by halls120
Oops - that's what I get for compaing statute miles with nautical miles......
Easy mistake to make

Originally Posted by EWR764
LAX/SFO-SYD will operate with an ETOPS-180 flight plan. I don't know if the Pratt-powered 772ER is even rated for 330-minute ETOPS, to my knowledge, and further, if UAL has elected to maintain any of its 777s to that standard. Regardless, 330min only becomes an requirement on routes from Australia/NZ to to deep South America and NZ to the eastern half of the United States.
That's correct. The Pratt-powered 77E is not rated for ETOPS-330. That being said, ETOPS-180 is more than sufficient for the route.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH SEN
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I do have a question around Pilot rest though.... do the SUA 777's have a bed area like the 747's do?
or are we going to lose a F seat to them as well?
The seat maps show 2 seats blocked in F and 1 in C.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Originally Posted by Nicholas
The seat maps show 2 seats blocked in F and 1 in C.
That's painfull with available F going from 12 seats to 6
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Kacee
There goes the 744 SFO-LHR. Bummer. Upgrades to Europe from SFO just got more impossible.
I don't know how this should be a surprise. In fact, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. We all but called it when BD got absorbed into BA; no real *A connections from LHR anymore.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by flymd
It depends on your perspective. When I am flying longhaul it is usually with my family of 7 including 4 children hence we are not flying in the pointy end of the plane. I would much rather have IFE for them and myself which the 747 just does not .
You should save your sanity and get some tablets
I have been on more then one 777 itpe with a dead Panasonic display already
It also means that your not subject to ua's interesting choices on programming
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by mduell

SYD only requires ETOPS 180 from the west coast.

HKG, even from ORD, is ETOPS 90, or maybe 120 if some airfields are unavailable.

Whatever the number - it is still a considerable amount of time without a backup.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Aspen
Whatever the number - it is still a considerable amount of time without a backup.
Agreed but most of the Sydney/nz to USA flights are 777 at this point
It's not exactly new to be flying the 777 back and forth.... Air NZ has been doing akl to lax on the 777-2er for a while now which iirc has the same etops requirements
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:11 am

I admit it's a huge improvement.Never flew United on the Trips I have done to America but I did it the first time way back in 1989 on the Old Continental 747's mind you and back then all we had was either a Movie Screen or Regular Inflight Audio so things have changed a lot since then.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I was just googling some stuff about 747s and Australia and I came across this article.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-conti...an-747-service

Talk about broken promises, pretty sure progress on this is zero, guess they decided to wait for the a350s after all
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:40 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
I was just googling some stuff about 747s and Australia and I came across this article.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/united-conti...an-747-service

Talk about broken promises, pretty sure progress on this is zero, guess they decided to wait for the a350s after all
Meh, more like "we didn't know that the PMUA 744s were so disastrous; it's not even worth upgrading them." While the PMUA 777s are an improvement for Y, the real win would have been if the PMCO 777s had gotten the route instead. Bummer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.